Test drove a 2017 civic Si sedan......

realeastlbc

First Name
blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
well I've been looking at trading in my toyota tacoma for a 4 door car and owned a few civics in the past...took a 2017 si sedan for a test drive (without the salesman) so I could see what it could do and I gotta say I loved it except for one huge thing that made me not even want the car... the "lag" or "hesitation" it has, like after every gear shift it literally just does nothing for a second before the engine starts working again... I assume thing is a combonation of turbo lag and drive by wire? anyways my question is can you mod this out? I know hondata has flashpro does that help with this? thanks guys!
Sponsored

OP
OP

realeastlbc

First Name
blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Rev Hang? Ktuner has an option to get rid of it.
awesome! I didn't even think of it as rev hang haha my bad, this must be my first experience with rev hang, wow I HATE IT, thanks for the info on Ktuner I didn't even know about them :)

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah but if you could just find it in yourself to suffer through that one short little second of hesitation -- the rewards you shall reap will be so unimaginably plentiful! :p :D
^this----if that is the only complaint, then you are doing better than a lot of people on this forum :) Being a little over 3k miles in, I have to say, this is the best driving Si overall. From handling to power (easily upgradable) and creature comforts, it fills all my needs. I love how it can be two different cars: the mild mannered, gas sipping commuter, as well as the screaming, front tire shredding fun machine that begs to be abused.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yeah I've driven nothing but Honda/Acura VTEC cars since '97, have always been a huge fan of those engines.
But after 4200 miles (4242 to be exact, undoubtedly the universe's subtle tribute to the comedic genius of the great late Douglas Adams) in this Si, I'm not even looking back with any sort of nostalgia.

All those times I've read about "usefulness of mid-range torque" in various magazine articles over the years, never having owned a turbo car before, I never really understood what they meant by "useful" torque (what, there's such a thing as "useless torque"? :)), -- until this car. Now, I have seen the light! :D

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I've driven nothing but Honda/Acura VTEC cars since '97, have always been a huge fan of those engines.
But after 4200 miles (4242 to be exact, undoubtedly the universe's subtle tribute to the comedic genius of the great late Douglas Adams) in this Si, I'm not even looking back with any sort of nostalgia.

All those times I've read about "usefulness of mid-range torque" in various magazine articles over the years, never having owned a turbo car before, I never really understood what they meant by "useful" torque (what, there's such a thing as "useless torque"? :)), -- until this car. Now, I have seen the light! :D
Sounds like we cut our teeth on the same generation of Honda/Acura. VTEC was always the standard, and I wasn't sure what it felt like to drive a tiny 4 cyl with torque that came in at 2k. Granted, it is not throwing you back into your seat until the boost kicks in, but it is respectable. I am holding out for a Honda warranty approved ECU tune. I would hope they might come out with a +3psi version of the Hondata, so we can keep our warranties. Eliminating the rev hang, along with a nice power increase of say 15-20hp, plus any bolt ons, would be ideal for mine, as it is a daily driver. I think 220-230 whp, along with the factory warranty, would be a perfect balance.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I would hope they might come out with a +3psi version of the Hondata, so we can keep our warranties.
Wow is that true that you can reflash the ECU (with a certain small-enough boost increase limit) and still keep the manufacturer's warranty? Are you sure? Got a good source? I've always thought any kind of reflash automatically kills the warranty...

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow is that true that you can reflash the ECU (with a certain small-enough boost increase limit) and still keep the manufacturer's warranty? Are you sure? Got a good source? I've always thought any kind of reflash automatically kills the warranty...
It was mentioned on one of the threads. Some type of collaboration between HFP and one of the ECU tune manufacturers. I have no source for it, but just something I read. Hopefully it is true.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
It was mentioned on one of the threads. Some type of collaboration between HFP and one of the ECU tune manufacturers. I have no source for it, but just something I read. Hopefully it is true.
What I've read is that Hondata is trying to partner with Honda but to no avail thus far.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What I've read is that Hondata is trying to partner with Honda but to no avail thus far.
Yeah one can only hope. I am sure at some point, I will say "damn the warranty" and do the Hondata or KTuner. For now, I am saving/buying the bolt-ons; CAI, downpipe/front pipe, possibly springs, etc. They don't care much about those at the dealer.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Some of the dealers down here are putting 87 instead of 91 in them. Mine was much more responsive on the 2nd tank.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
6000+ miles and I'm starting to get what this drivetrain is all about. Keep in mind, I didn't like any car in the market right now since I already owned a recent Accord and Toy/Lex, I was burned out of every other car.
Sponsored