Test drove a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT - Review

Dsgstp8d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 335 coupe, '17 hatch sport
Country flag
I also just went and test drove a manual sport hatch today. Must admit it looked nice in red but will go with PMM if I decide to go this route. The dealership I went to didn't even have it on their main lot and we had to drive a few miles away to even get to it which tells me they don't anticipate it selling that quickly. I have very similar impressions as others. Clutch is very light and rev hang is most noticeable above 4000rpms. Not sure if it will just take some getting used to or if it will be a deal breaker. Didn't seem as peppy an engine as I was hoping though. Even compared to the 4 cylinder manual accord coupe I test drove a few months back, this just seemed a bit sluggish. I'm thinking maybe the dealer put 87 in it and that's why? The interior was nice for a $22k car and the seat was comfortable. Lack of sunroof, push to start and smart key are very disappointing though. Turned on the radio and was better than I was expecting but would eventually switch out the head unit and add a nice set of components up front. Im also very curious about how the turbo and direct injection will affect reliability in the long term and the need for walnut blasting the intake valves as I need to do in my current car. Going to test drive a mazda hatch once a dealer gets a 2.5 manual in stock and make my decision between the two.
Sponsored

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
I also just went and test drove a manual sport hatch today. Must admit it looked nice in red but will go with PMM if I decide to go this route. The dealership I went to didn't even have it on their main lot and we had to drive a few miles away to even get to it which tells me they don't anticipate it selling that quickly. I have very similar impressions as others. Clutch is very light and rev hang is most noticeable above 4000rpms. Not sure if it will just take some getting used to or if it will be a deal breaker. Didn't seem as peppy an engine as I was hoping though. Even compared to the 4 cylinder manual accord coupe I test drove a few months back, this just seemed a bit sluggish. I'm thinking maybe the dealer put 87 in it and that's why? The interior was nice for a $22k car and the seat was comfortable. Lack of sunroof, push to start and smart key are very disappointing though. Turned on the radio and was better than I was expecting but would eventually switch out the head unit and add a nice set of components up front. Im also very curious about how the turbo and direct injection will affect reliability in the long term and the need for walnut blasting the intake valves as I need to do in my current car. Going to test drive a mazda hatch once a dealer gets a 2.5 manual in stock and make my decision between the two.
Hey,
Maybe the the sluggish feeling was turbo lag? I've also driven the 2.4 L accord & it is nicely tuned for what it is, and non turbo as well. Of course they both will lack the power of the 335 coupe. Our opinions can only be formed by our past ... the turbo lag in the hatch is actually less and more impressive than the 2006 2.0 A4 I used to have, so as my only turbo comparison it seems good to me.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also test drove a 6-speed sport today. Wanted an experience to hold me over til the Si comes.

Ohhh man, that thing wanted to go. I'm not even sure when the turbo kicked in; the car was just so much more happy to get moving than my '15 coupe. I'd worry about ever getting past 30mpg with how fun it is to ride out each gear. I don't know how I'm gonna hold myself back during the Si's break-in period. We had the A/C on pretty high, but it didn't feel like it was taking much away from my throttle, as opposed to the extremely annoying problem in my current car. The clutch and shifter feel a little different (coming from someone who comfortably transitioned from an 83 to a 15) but no biggie. I didn't really notice any rev hang or surging, but I was also pretty busy trying to adjust to the power.

One thing I didn't like was the window on the hatch. Looking through it via the rearview was pretty difficult. On top of being (seemingly) smaller, it also looked distorted, or at least significantly darker.
Sponsored