17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Good day guys,

Not sure if anyone has written about their experience in a Hatchback 6MT yet so here is what I have to say. This is my perspective coming from an 09 Si with HFP suspension, IHE, tuned on E85 to 227hp. I also have retrofitted my low and high beams with Mini H1 7.0, my foglights with Matchbox 2.0, 5500K bulbs, and all 6 High beam solenoids in the projectors are functional.

I stopped in the dealer of my choice Jones in Lancaster PA yesterday evening. I've worked with Jon Foder there on a few purchases either for myself or friends, so we know each other well.
I only stopped in to say 'hi' when he says 'Do you want to drive the MT?' I was like hmm... ok let's do it!
It was a dark silver with black splitters/side skirts etc. I have to say it looked sharp! On approach, it still used a physical key to unlock and start the engine, but I suppose that's just what you get with the MT.
Backing it out, the camera was good, the screen was small. I didn't even turn on the audio for the whole drive - I was just there to listen to the car and the sounds it made. Jon jumped in and we were off.
I'm a guy that really likes to let the engine warm up properly before asking too much out of the car, so we took a short drive that required little acceleration - just up to 35 or so. I got in some washboard roads as well as a very long left-hander. Then, I got some highway traffic. After that, some backroads followed by another open shot on the highway back to the dealer. About 20 minutes of seat time.

Here's what I discovered about it-
Steering is proper with appropriate feedback. It does not take much wheel input to maneuver. It turns in quickly and flatly.
Brakes are ample. I could see them not feeling so great once the rotors have some heat in them and start to lose their new surface finish, but in new form they feel great!
Acceleration is excellent. There is some turbo lag below 3000 rpm but once power comes on, it pulls hard! Highway 6th gear pulls nicely - probably better than my Si. Low speed is pretty flat, but that's probably a good thing in parking lots etc.
Suspension is stupendous. I would say it is definitely better than my stock Si suspension but not as good as my HFP suspension. It holds the car nice and flat and absorbs road imperfections very nicely.
The clutch is super light compared to my Si and that's saying a lot considering I thought the Si had a light clutch. First is easy to work but I don't have any idea if the car can launch. The remainder of the gears are easy to release into.
The transmission seems to have appropriate gear ranges. No idea how fast you can go in each gear. I had it up to about 90 in 4th and I think I still had some more gear left. The shifter is short and a little soft, but I never wondered about the gears or couldn't find them.
Rear visibility is as you'd anticipate I think. Not great but good enough. I drove an MDX often - not as good as that, but also more maneuverable so that makes up for it.
Headlights were terrible. No other way to put it. I had them 'on' and the fog lights as well and I found it easy to outdrive the light without really speeding honestly. Again, I'm used to MDX LED's and my own upgraded lighting system, so I shouldn't have expected to be impressed.
Road noise was not bad. It's an economy car so it had more noise than a 7 series BMW (more than the MDX also) but less than my Si. Then again, it's on whatever the stock tires are and that makes a tremendous difference.
Exhaust was audible but would never interrupt a phone call or anything else. Super quiet when not under load.
Engine/intake noise was not noticeable or discernible.
Brake hold/electronic park brake were both nice. I liked not having to hold my foot on the brake or set the park brake on slight inclines. Great for those of us that don't live in flat places.
Seating was nice. It didn't have quite the Si level of capture, but it wasn't far off.

I didn't play with electronics.

cliffnotes: Surprisingly fast, quiet, great handling. Really a huge leap above any non-Si Civic I've ever driven.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Great review. I agree that we get spoiled driving around with HID/LED headlights. The halogens aren't bad; they just pale in comparison to everything else.

If Honda screws the pooch on the Si, I'll snag either this or the Accord Sport 6MT.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great review. I agree that we get spoiled driving around with HID/LED headlights. The halogens aren't bad; they just pale in comparison to everything else.

If Honda screws the pooch on the Si, I'll snag either this or the Accord Sport 6MT.
I actually really really liked it! But like I said, day 1 I'd find a way to get some proper headlights in the thing!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I dont' really like the variable assist steering, I mean come on, how light does it need to be for parking? It's like they wanted to enable pinky-powered parking.

But i love the car, it feels special, and that's not easy to get for $22k. The mid-range torque is very addicting, just like my BMW.

I plan to put a 7" carplay deck, and when available, an LSD (for snow and rain).

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't get to drive it hard enough to know that I needed an LSD, but I know if I owned it I'd require an LSD. Are you aware of any factory LSD's in this transmission? (Thinking in Canada or Europe...) I'm sure Quaife would like a car to use as a test car to develop one...

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
I didn't get to drive it hard enough to know that I needed an LSD, but I know if I owned it I'd require an LSD. Are you aware of any factory LSD's in this transmission? (Thinking in Canada or Europe...) I'm sure Quaife would like a car to use as a test car to develop one...
I drove a 6m sport hatch the other day,
I really laid into it on a few sloping left handers in 2nd gear @4k RPM-redline and didn't feel any torque steer.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I really laid into it on a few sloping left handers in 2nd gear @4k RPM-redline and didn't feel any torque steer.
I've felt torque steer, but it's not bad. But in rain or snow you'll get wheelspin with this much torque, especially once I put the winter tires on.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've felt torque steer, but it's not bad. But in rain or snow you'll get wheelspin with this much torque, especially once I put the winter tires on.
The car has VSA system, which brakes the wheel that is loosing traction and tries to hide torque steering. It's not as effective as a real LSD but it definitely works. It feels strange in some situations like when you slightly change direction during hard acceleration, because it tries desperately to keep the car going straight. I don't know how the electronics would react if there is a mechanical LSD installed.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice. I believe it.
My 95 civic was a 1.5 turbo and I would get the inside wheel smoking pretty good. Seems the newer car either can't spin the wheel and/or is designed not to.

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
Nice. I believe it.
My 95 civic was a 1.5 turbo and I would get the inside wheel smoking pretty good. Seems the newer car either can't spin the wheel and/or is designed not to.

I didn't mash the gas, I did apply pressure to 100% though. I drive a RWD G35 with older tires... Mashing the gas = instant wheel spin. Also I feel more control if there is wheel spin to know how much to back off.

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
limitedslip said:
short test drive of the 6sp Sport hatch today .... salesman onboard
- pulls as good as my 13Si, responsive but not engaging - nothing like my 10 Si
- incredibly stiff and together chassis
- luxuriously quiet
- not the Si gearbox and linkage but good enough
- feels slippery through the air, type R will be bonkers

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the review!

I test drove an EX hatch and really liked it.

Trading my 2013 Si in for one. Order a white 6 speed sport with black interior yesterday. The styling is amazing. I hope I am not let down by performance after having an Si for 3 years.

I hate you have to basically get a base model to get a manual now. I'd pay extra for a LSD and the better radio setup.

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the review!

Trading my 2013 Si in for one. Order a white 6 speed sport with black interior yesterday. The styling is amazing. I hope I am not let down by performance after having an Si for 3 years.

I hate you have to basically get a base model to get a manual now. I'd pay extra for a LSD and the better radio setup.
I know exactly what you mean! I mean there's always the aftermarket, or maybe even getting your hands on a higher-model entertainment system and then fitting it into the dash... but it shouldn't be that way!

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am actually already looking at an Android powered headunit. One plus side to the LX style interior is that it is very easy to swap the radio out and keep your steering controls.

The hard part will be running wires and adding the tweeters to the front and rear.

omigulay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport hatchback
Thanks for the review!

That's why in Canada, the sport models come with push button start, touch screen infotainment system, sunroof and heated seats..which i guess is slotted above the EX model in the US
Sponsored