GMK5321

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M3 - 6MT
Country flag
I currently have a BMW M3 and have my eyes on getting a new type r later this year, but I’d like to test drive a car. I don’t like the idea of getting something without driving it first. Does anyone know of any dealerships or owners in south Florida that would let me test drive for 10 minutes? It’s been frustrating me because I’ve gone to the local Honda dealerships when they have a car in and asked to test drive and they all say no, yet if I walk into BMW or Mercedes I have no problem getting into a 450 hp and up car to go for a quick spin.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Just go to cargurus.com and find a USED one in your area to test drive. Honestly, I have a 2017 M2 performance edition, and outside of that, the Type R is one of the most fun cars, especially stick, that I've test driven. It's a lot of fun and I put it above my old EVO / STi and other cars in my history.

You're not going to get to drive a new one, just let that go - but used ones are all over - hit one of those up and see how you feel about it. I bet you'll be shocked how good it is compared to your M3 I know I was versus my M2 lol.

I'm going to get one in about a year I am hoping, as I don't want to give up the M2 to get it.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
1 word solution:
CARMAX

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If all else fails you could use Turo as well, but that comes with costs and some other things to consider. But it's there, if you get desperate.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ditto on Carmax

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You say that as if some 450hp+ cars are better than the Type R. It’s not about HP it’s about the whole package. The CTR is special and buyers don’t want their cars driven, and buyers don’t test drive their CTR, they just know it’s the one.
I gotta agree with this, if you are serious about getting one you won't regret the purchase. You won't be testing driving someone else's, you will be enjoying your own.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry to say but unless you have a history with a Honda dealer your odds of being able to test drive a type r are small to none. Subaru is the same in my area with the wrx and sti’s.

And yes, you can easily go and test drive a Benz or Audi and they won’t even be bothered to come with you. It’s weird how it works but it is the way it is.

In my case I saw that the local dealer got a red one last year to go along with the three white ones and I decided to drop in and see it in person. Needless to say all it took was me sitting in those seats to realize that I was sitting in my next car. Having bought a few cars through the salesman there I was given the option of a test drive but I found it not necessary. I just knew that the red type r and I were made for each other and it has been a blast since. No regrets. Just wish it was a bit louder in the exhaust department especially coming from a sti with aftermarket exhaust but that is something that can easily be changed.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
If you for some reason find yourself around Huntsville AL you can test drive mine.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I can understand how coming from a different brand makes you want to test drive it. That said, if you liked it enough on paper to get you interested, owning it and driving it won’t disappoint you. It’s fast and powerful and probably the best car you’ve driven in twisty roads. That said, if you’re expecting just pure horsepower lust, remember that it’s 306 hp and FWD.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I currently have a BMW M3 and have my eyes on getting a new type r later this year, but I’d like to test drive a car. I don’t like the idea of getting something without driving it first. Does anyone know of any dealerships or owners in south Florida that would let me test drive for 10 minutes? It’s been frustrating me because I’ve gone to the local Honda dealerships when they have a car in and asked to test drive and they all say no, yet if I walk into BMW or Mercedes I have no problem getting into a 450 hp and up car to go for a quick spin.
Not to offend but your post makes it sound as if you test drive cars for fun. This is exactly why they wont allow test drives. We R owners are particular. We dont want a car every other guy off the streets has test driven. The dealers know this. Also you are not looking to buy now anyway so would just be a joy ride which again the dealers dont want and why they put the Rs on showroom floor so they are not taken out till sold. Best bet find a used one through web then dealer most likely will allow your test drive.

I was at my local dealer they had a R. No less then 10 people all claiming to want to buy wanted to test drive it in the hour i was there. If they did that car would have hundreds of miles on it and they would spend their day just giving R rides. It would have to be left out side all time blah blah blah.... yeah i would not allow test drives either

Last edited:

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
The first and only Honda dealership I went to let me test drive a new one. It's not a lambo. You should be able to find a dealership that will let you go for a spin.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The first and only Honda dealership I went to let me test drive a new one. It's not a lambo. You should be able to find a dealership that will let you go for a spin.
And by contrast, my dealer wouldn't even let a tech drive it to get filled up, they went with me to do it and I drove. They introduced me to the only person who drove the car after the factory but before I took ownership.

That was a really nice experience and while it's not a Lambo, dealers that go the extra mile to keep the process special are pretty cool in my book. But, we're also two years into it being available now so some of the rarity has worn off.

OP
OP

GMK5321

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M3 - 6MT
Country flag
Not to offend but your post makes it sound as if you test drive cars for fun. This is exactly why they wont allow test drives. We R owners are particular. We dont want a car every other guy off the streets has test driven. The dealers know this. Also you are not looking to buy now anyway so would just be a joy ride which again the dealers dont want and why they put the Rs on showroom floor so they are not taken out till sold. Best bet find a used one through web then dealer most likely will allow your test drive.

I was at my local dealer they had a R. No less then 10 people all claiming to want to buy wanted to test drive it in the hour i was there. If they did that car would have hundreds of miles on it and they would spend their day just giving R rides. It would have to be left out side all time blah blah blah.... yeah i would not allow test drives either
You’re right I’m just annoyed that I can test drive all the other cars I’m interested in. I do test drive them for fun but all of them are cars on my list as potential new buys. I’m driving to them so far out because I like to plan ahead. So far the only
Car I have not test driven on my list is the type r and not to sound like a dick but jayevo23 is right, it is not a Lamborghini. Heck the numbers aren’t even that small. The last one I saw at a dealer was number 24k. I can’t buy something if I don’t drive it and then think about it for awhile, I’m putting a significant amount of money out there for this car and I would like to be happy with it before I do that.
Sponsored