First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got mine with 6 miles on it...i was the first to drive it.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is ridiculous. I'm only in this thread now to exonerate myself. I have not thrown out a single insult. In fact, so far all I've seen are people telling me I'm not reading full posts and I'm calling insults, when all I've gotten in return is lack of reading comprehension and insults.

Let me reiterate one more time: people can test drive cars the way that they want (or that the dealership would let them); after all, it is a car you are going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on, and you want it to be what you expect without any buyer's remorse. I understand why people like the OP test drive like they do. Heck, the dealer even offered for me to gun it going onto the ramp when I drove it.

I'm just using his post as an anecdote as validation for why I bought mine new. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing insulting, nothing misread. It. Just. Is. Let it go, and free me of being painted as the villain here. If this thread locks, I was not the cause of it.
Don't worry about that guy he's trolling...he doesn't even own his si anymore he' drives a old buick regal or something now

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What really makes no sense to me is why the dealers do not have a dedicated for test drive car???? That way, both dealer and those test driving it would benefit: the driver would be really able to feel the car as it is broken in and fully capable, and the dealer wouldn't have a brand new cars sitting on the lot with bunch of miles on it! this is a worldwide known practices and I don't know why it isn't common in US.....
My dealership had some cars off to the side with "DEMO" marked on the windshield. They were the Odyssey minivans and some Pilots if I remember correctly. I had never seen that. Maybe they found that they get a lot of test drives on those where they don't buy?

Myself, I want to test drive the actual car I'm buying. Even when I got my second one after totaling the first, I test drove it even though it was identical in every way but the VIN :). The last thing I would have wanted was to get in it to drive off the lot and think "hey, this doesn't drive the same was as the other one". The sales guy would certainly not want to have to deal with that either.

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
..... even the Rev-Hang is MORE in the Si - WAY MORE................actually it's Rev OVER-RUN - BIG TIME from 3500RPm's on up

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
What really makes no sense to me is why the dealers do not have a dedicated for test drive car???? That way, both dealer and those test driving it would benefit: the driver would be really able to feel the car as it is broken in and fully capable, and the dealer wouldn't have a brand new cars sitting on the lot with bunch of miles on it! this is a worldwide known practices and I don't know why it isn't common in US.....
My Honda dealer had 3 used (mules) Si coupes on the lot used for customers and employee use. My Si was 1 hour fresh off the truck with 3km on clock. We of course test drove an identical used Si with 5000km, and left my honey sitting pretty until I came to pick it up few days later. A few other dealerships in the area also had demo Sis

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, how did the 6 miles get on it?
The first to test drive i meant...maybe from moving around. I know cars have a few miles on them. Also some after PDI to make sure car is operating before being put to sale.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Soi currently own 6MT hatchback, had it for over 29K now. Was at honda dealer this morning picking up some washers and figured i’ll give Si a try, se what are those 30 more hp about. And to be honest, I couldn’t feep much of the difference. Car had about 40mi on it so i pushed it few times up to 5k but acceleration didn’t feel any faster than on mine. Much lighter clutch pedal and waaaaaaay stiffer shifter (feels more prcise). Other than that - reaply no difference. Oh, really good seats, loved the bolstering. So what do you all think? Was it because car is not broken in yet? Or because of the regular gasolone it had in?
I think the bigger difference is once you start modding and wanting more HP/TQ. The Si has stronger internals and will be able to output better numbers, Also the Si is going to have much better resale value down the line those two reasons alone would make me pick the Si over A sport hatch model. With that said I wish they offered an Si Hatchback as I love the way the sport hatch looks.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
In my opinion, test drives can only do so much. You don't truly know if you like a vehicle until you get comfortable with it. That's when you start noticing things that you may have overlooked on the test drive. It is good for finding things that are immediate deal breakers, but not for finding out if a vehicle is worth owning for long term.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I'm just stating that it's this exact idea that made me glad I got one brand new and not one sitting on the lot for customers to test-drive hard (and not that you did it inappropriately so to speak, but you get my gist).
I'm with you. My Mazdaspeed came off the truck with .7 miles on it and I bought it that day. The Si had 7 miles on it (I'll assume 1 test drive). I was a little annoyed it had 7 but I was unlikely to find one right off the truck again. It might be a little thing to worry about but the less a car is test driven the better when i'm going to start making payments on it.

PS. I do the same thing with sneakers... find a size 12 box that looks like it's never been opened and buy those after a careful examination for flaws. Being anal isn't so bad!

Last edited:

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
The first to test drive i meant...maybe from moving around. I know cars have a few miles on them. Also some after PDI to make sure car is operating before being put to sale.
Mine had similar miles I do not remember if it was less or the same but it was definitely around 5 miles and still even had plastic on the seats in the interior so I assume that I was the first test drive

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
In my opinion, test drives can only do so much. You don't truly know if you like a vehicle until you get comfortable with it. That's when you start noticing things that you may have overlooked on the test drive. It is good for finding things that are immediate deal breakers, but not for finding out if a vehicle is worth owning for long term.
I agree from the moment I got my Si to now I look at the car completely different It has some things I have come to appreciate and love and a few things I do not like. Overall I am happy with my purchase.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I read the entire thread before making my post, much less dissecting yours.

I kept mine under 3500 RPM for over 1,000 miles, whilst doing everything you did in warming up the car before even getting above 3,000, varying my RPM's, etc. I'm keeping mine for the long haul. I'm now past 3,000 miles, and I bet I've never hit 5k RPM yet or gone past 50% on the throttle.

I'm not blaming you for what you did, after all you're trying to decide whether or not to invest in one. I'm just stating that it's this exact idea that made me glad I got one brand new and not one sitting on the lot for customers to test-drive hard (and not that you did it inappropriately so to speak, but you get my gist).

I wasn't really throwing shade at you. I was just assuring my stance as to why I did what I did, but in a public manner.
I was the same way with my Si and it's also why I decided against buying a used Si.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Frankly ... what is the best method of break in ??? I have heard "drive it like you stole it" is a legit break in and results in higher trims since you push the limits and extremes right off ...
Sponsored