First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hm... I've never struggled to get my car into reverse...
Agreed. This is the only manual I’ve ever had that I’ve not had to row 1st to 2nd to get into reverse ever now and again. Not one time in just about a year and 15k miles.
Sponsored

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Forget what I think about the car.

I think that I'm so glad I waited on a '19 Si just so I could put down a deposit and get one brand new, because of people like you who push a car in a test drive when it's not broken in yet.

Thank goodness nobody else could fuck up my vehicle beforehand.
Yup your right! Why should you expect anything less than a brand new undriven unmolested car with close to zero miles that you paid hard earned $$$ on? That is not too much to ask. If it has distance on it, then it’s a used demo, and should be priced as such

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
What really makes no sense to me is why the dealers do not have a dedicated for test drive car???? That way, both dealer and those test driving it would benefit: the driver would be really able to feel the car as it is broken in and fully capable, and the dealer wouldn't have a brand new cars sitting on the lot with bunch of miles on it! this is a worldwide known practices and I don't know why it isn't common in US.....

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
What really makes no sense to me is why the dealers do not have a dedicated for test drive car???? That way, both dealer and those test driving it would benefit: the driver would be really able to feel the car as it is broken in and fully capable, and the dealer wouldn't have a brand new cars sitting on the lot with bunch of miles on it! this is a worldwide known practices and I don't know why it isn't common in US.....
because they would lose money and the one thing that is true about stealerships is that they all love their money.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I worked at a dealership for 13 years, and there are a number of reasons why they don't do this. The simplest way to explain it is that, as @BoostedSiCoupe mentioned, that means they have an additional car, but that is not the primary reason (in my experience). In my experience, the primary reason is two fold: the customer, and the salesperson.

From the sales person perspective, they want the customer to buy, right now. So if there is a car on the lot that is exactly what the customer wants (i.e. color, options, etc.), then the sales person is going to have the customer drive that car, to get them to fall in love with that car. Not one that is similar, or that will almost be like the one they want....the actual one they want.

From the customer perspective, most of the same things apply. If you want a stick shift, leather seats, moonroof, and high end stereo, why would you want to drive a "test drive only" car, that is an automatic, cloth, no roof, base stereo? Because that would be what the dealer would use as the "test drive only" car, as that will appeal to the broadest group of people. And they certainly aren't going to pony up for "test drive only" cars for all of the different trim levels.

Just my opinion based on over a decade in the car business.

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or perhaps just upgrade the shifter and get ktuner/hondata for my hatch?
I swapped out a type-r shifter in my Si and has a tighter/shorter/more clicky feel from the Si. Install was a bit involved but with myself and 3 friends goofing off for most of the time, it took us about an hour and a half. I bought the shifter from my local dealer for $50 or so.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Dealerships are very cashed strapped and many are on the edge of having nothing in the bank and depend on money coming in from the next sale. A giant dealership with 7 or 8 locations spread all over here in the bay area just literally a few months back shut their doors and declared bankruptcy, so having a spare car for test driving is probably out of the question

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was lucky when I bought. Salesman had to get it from an extra lot they had nearby. I noticed 2 miles on the odo when i got behind the wheel for the test drive.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I’m always impressed by Honda owners at all caring about straight like acceleration. The Si shines with a crispier tranny, better suspension, and more importantly the LSD. That’s really it. If you didn’t feel the benefit of the LSD, you didn’t test drive it properly for your scenario.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
yep, with hondas its all about good LSD and crispy trannies...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
it was hard to get in reverse. I don’t remember this being the case on my hatch even before i swapped the fluid with amsoil
It's the shifter linkage and being a new car. Takes a good few hundred miles for everything to ease up and move freely.

Aside from the LSD, transmission casing and gearing are exactly the same.

I also agree with @charleswrivers that you don't need to trade up to the Si, just for the seats and LSD. IIRC, the base 1.5Ts have torque vectoring to some degree as well.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I was going to turn this into a joke, but decided it's best not to....
i intentionally left my comment open for interpretation
Sponsored