Temperature gauge/instrument cluster issue

Albin Biju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I don't know if this is normal or not for the Civic X. The temperature gauge in the instrument cluster tends to take awhile to show the actual temperature. The gauge is stuck on cold and after a few minutes, the blue light bar rises quickly and stops at a reasonable temperature. Sorry if I sound stupid but I'm just a bit concerned. I really appreciate the help.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
...it's normal for any car.

The coolant temperature gauge shows you an approximation of the engine temperature. If you cold-start it, it'll obviously take a while to climb.

OP
OP
Albin Biju

Albin Biju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
...it's normal for any car.

The coolant temperature gauge shows you an approximation of the engine temperature. If you cold-start it, it'll obviously take a while to climb.
Yeah i knew my question was kinda stupid lol. Should've thought about it earlier, but thanks for answering the question :)

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah i knew my question was kinda stupid lol. Should've thought about it earlier, but thanks for answering the question :)
It does take some time for the smaller engine to warm up. The temperature gauge in my V6 Accord would start climbing in under 2 minutes. The Civic takes closer to 5 minutes.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Its also more prevalent on tuebocharged cars as they are trying to run as cool as possible.. My civic takes 2-3 times as long to reach operating temperature on a cold day than any of our accords.. The accords coolant will be at normal operating temperature were my civic will still show cold or no light for 5 more minutes..

Also ive seen that if i come to a stop within a minute of getting to normal temp and its below 30 degrees outside.. If im stopped for 2-3 minutes the temp will drop from half to a quarter....

So ya.. Any and all turbo/intercooled cars you ever own will likely behave more like this

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
It does take some time for the smaller engine to warm up. The temperature gauge in my V6 Accord would start climbing in under 2 minutes. The Civic takes closer to 5 minutes.
Its the turbo... My 4cyl accord and the 2.0l civic warm up alot faster