First Name
C.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, 2001 Honda Civic, 2015 Honda Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got it mostly working, pretty easy install need to figure out the airbag light and the phone connection etc.

I've been taking some pictures along the way and I'll probably do a video once it's running.
I was told the passenger airbag light stays on and just needs to be tucked under unit. If thats what you got going on.
Sponsored

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
So far here's what I've got:

Figured out how to move the airbag light, it unscrews from the hvac module and you can tuck the plug in underneath, the light on the dash is still on but I'm guessing I need to pull the battery and reset.

Pros:
  1. Cool interface, touch screen is pretty responsive.
  2. Backup camera works, all 3 views, it's a little more blurry that the stock HU but it works.
  3. Screen cast was a little wonky to start with, when I plugged the phone into the head unit the phone had weird purple flashes and acted up. I reset the phone and connected again and it worked fine.
  4. Music loaded on the device played nice and clear, I just used the sample so far.
  5. Head unit shows all the settings for the car, however it doesn't appear you can change them.
  6. It looks nice, the HVAC works well, the tac/speedo work well.
  7. I feel like there were more "wow neat" items but I can't think of them at the moment.

Cons:
  1. Radio app is tough to use, reception seems worse than my original headunit which was why I was replacing the stock one. Fidgeting with the antenna plug helped a bit.
  2. Volume decreased down to pretty much nothing intermittently while driving, basically the reverse of speed based volume. Only on the radio, music stored on device was fine.
  3. Built in USB port doesn't connect to the device, it has it's own USB port, not a killer but not ideal.
  4. There are no screws holding the unit in, it's held in just by the trim pieces, no clips or screws.
  5. The unit runs HOT, can barely hold my hand to the back of it while running.
  6. I can't figure out how to switch from Celsius/km to Fahrenheit/miles, this might be resolvable but not straight forward.

I'm not sold on it yet, I'm going to talk to the seller and run it back and forth to work tomorrow and see how I like it for 2 hours of driving.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, more info

The good:
  1. Figured out how to change from C->F
  2. Got the antenna working a bit better, had to bend out the connection tabs to make a better connection.
The Bad:
  1. Changed temp to display in F however it's reading 32F/0C so it doesn't appear to be reading the car temp correctly.
  2. The volume goes down when the headunit draws more power, when the car goes in reverse the radio turns way down.
  3. Can't figure out how to change the location for the home screen weather, it's all in Chinese.

OP
OP
Silver17Fk7

Silver17Fk7

First Name
C.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, 2001 Honda Civic, 2015 Honda Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, more info

The good:
  1. Figured out how to change from C->F
  2. Got the antenna working a bit better, had to bend out the connection tabs to make a better connection.
The Bad:
  1. Changed temp to display in F however it's reading 32F/0C so it doesn't appear to be reading the car temp correctly.
  2. The volume goes down when the headunit draws more power, when the car goes in reverse the radio turns way down.
  3. Can't figure out how to change the location for the home screen weather, it's all in Chinese.
All good info so far, thanks a bunch

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  1. There are no screws holding the unit in, it's held in just by the trim pieces, no clips or screws.
  2. The unit runs HOT, can barely hold my hand to the back of it while running
I can't believe the unit doesn't have any screws supporting it to the dash! How heavy would you say the unit is? I'm sure it wouldn't just fall out but in the case of an accident I might be worried that any sudden forces might cause it to come lose.

I'm not sure how hot the factory HU get's but I sure hope you don't have any issues with the new HU getting hot and messing up something behind it or potentially being a fire hazard.

I, along with many others, really appreciate you biting the bullet and ordering one! I hope you get the bugs worked out with the seller and really like the unit. We're all anxious to see how it looks and how well it holds up for you!

MikeyMcFly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Posted this in another thread. I found some videos on Youtube but they're in Thai:

Hope to get a full review of this head unit in English! I really really want to buy this too but not sure if it's good yet

MikeyMcFly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think this video shows the right signal camera working:

Found an installation video from the same guy:

Last edited:

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a few videos I took this morning, the radio takes about 30 seconds to boot up once you start the car. The radio (FM) volume goes quiet sometimes while driving. I haven't figured out how to change the theme yet, I followed the steps in one of the videos but I wasn't figuring it out.

Overall it does some things really well, however it feels half baked with a lot of features.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Contact the seller / check XDA to see if there any any updates for that unit, I also think you should be able to root it and a few tips and tricks based on what I've read on XDA.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Contact the seller / check XDA to see if there any any updates for that unit, I also think you should be able to root it and a few tips and tricks based on what I've read on XDA.
I've been in touch with the seller quite a bit yesterday. The unit isn't terrible it's just a little wonky. Still trying to decide if I'm happy enough with it to resolve the bugs or if I'd rather just swap to something more trusted like a Pioneer.

I do really like the addition of nav and the ability to see the backup camera while driving. I'd love an app that would record 20GB or so off the backup camera on loop while driving so if someone rear-ends you it's recorded.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've been in touch with the seller quite a bit yesterday. The unit isn't terrible it's just a little wonky. Still trying to decide if I'm happy enough with it to resolve the bugs or if I'd rather just swap to something more trusted like a Pioneer.

I do really like the addition of nav and the ability to see the backup camera while driving. I'd love an app that would record 20GB or so off the backup camera on loop while driving so if someone rear-ends you it's recorded.
I've been on the fence about buying the smaller 9" model... been doing alot of research on XDA... there have been alot of patches/updates for these kind of head units from the manufacturer . If its a PX5 Unit... https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...opment/mtcd-px5-headunits-repository-t3619906

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That heat issue makes me extremely leary of this ever since that thread where the owner came out and the whole dash was melted and it looked like the stock head unit had caught fire.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That heat issue makes me extremely leary of this ever since that thread where the owner came out and the whole dash was melted and it looked like the stock head unit had caught fire.
Same, I ran it to work this morning and I'm going to run it home tonight then check everything over. I don't think I'm going to keep it, while it's a really neat radio I'm concerned about quality/heat and I don't really want something I have to update/hack/root/tweak etc. to get to function acceptably.

If anyone here is interested in mine I will sell it for what I paid for it, I'd have to check but it was mid-$500's. Otherwise I'll just return it.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you won't find anyone willing to take it after your review. LOL I think I'm going to go with that Sony head unit then.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you won't find anyone willing to take it after your review. LOL I think I'm going to go with that Sony head unit then.
Some people are more adventurous :-D. I might go with a Pioneer and tinker up the backup camera.
Sponsored