Tell me about cruise control on the civic - Honda Sensing

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Guys,

With the honda sensing package how well does cruise control work in rush hour traffic?

My salesman tells me once activated the car will slow down and speed up as needed... but goes as far as to say it will come to a full stop as needed and then accelerate back up to an appropriate following speed, etc. Bascially says it will drive itself in stop and go bumper to bumper freeway traffic....

Is this legit?
Sponsored

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
The creep feature works great in mindless stop and go or toll bridge traffic.
If you have to brake to a stop for what seems like 3seconds you’ll need to reactivate the creep feature.
Tremendous technology for a civic

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
If you have to brake to a stop for what seems like 3seconds you’ll need to reactivate the creep feature.
Yes sounds too good to be true. So if the car brakes for itself for like 20 seconds.... do i have to reactivate it?

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, he's right...to an extent. The entire system works well, it will slow you down and speed you up based on a pre-determined distance YOU can set. There are some "howevers" though:

However, if the car comes to a complete stop it will NOT start moving again, you have to step on the gas.

However, the system that acts like a "semi-autopiolet" where the car will drive and keep its self between the lines, making fairly large sweeping turns by its self ONLY works when the car is moving faster than 43-ish mph, it does NOT work at slower speeds.

However, if someone decides to jet in front of you, squeezing them selves between you and the car in front, as is common in rush hour traffic, the system will crash and stop working, it will disengage the enhanced cruse control leaving you very little time to step on the breaks, especially if you're not really paying attention and do not have your foot close to the break. IF the system crashes, it cannot be reactivated again. You have to pull over, turn the car completely off and then restart the car.

However, if someone merges "nicely" into the space between you and the car in front, even if in your opinion there was plenty of room for them to fit, IF the car has to step on the breaks too hard, the system again will crash and stop working, requiring you to break. And, like the "however situation" from above, you'll need to pull over, turn the car off and restart it to use the cruse control again.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
However, if someone decides to jet in front of you, squeezing them selves between you and the car in front, as is common in rush hour traffic, the system will crash and stop working, it will disengage the enhanced cruse control leaving you very little time to step on the breaks, especially if you're not really paying attention and do not have your foot close to the break. IF the system crashes, it cannot be reactivated again. You have to pull over, turn the car completely off and then restart the car.
I haven't had this happen to me yet (knock on wood!). As bad as DC/MD/VA drivers are, now I wonder if Portland's are worse.

+1 to everything else, though, including how nice it is to not have to worry about how much gas or brake I need to apply every three seconds of an hour-long drive during heavy traffic.

One addition -- if you put your foot on the throttle, you can temporarily override the adaptive part of the cruise control. For example, say someone decides to merge in front of you -- if you let the system work on its own, it'll jam on the brakes to reestablish your gap. But if you lightly touch the gas, the ACC will disengage, and you can let your car coast a bit to reestablish the gap without having to hit the brakes. Then, let off the gas pedal, and the ACC will automatically reengage.

I thought ACC would only be useful on long drives with little to no traffic and would get hung up in rush hour. Turns out that I really like it in rush hour.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Yeah, he's right...to an extent. The entire system works well, it will slow you down and speed you up based on a pre-determined distance YOU can set. There are some "howevers" though:

However, if the car comes to a complete stop it will NOT start moving again, you have to step on the gas.

However, the system that acts like a "semi-autopiolet" where the car will drive and keep its self between the lines, making fairly large sweeping turns by its self ONLY works when the car is moving faster than 43-ish mph, it does NOT work at slower speeds.

However, if someone merges "nicely" into the space between you and the car in front, even if in your opinion there was plenty of room for them to fit, IF the car has to step on the breaks too hard, the system again will crash and stop working, requiring you to break. And, like the "however situation" from above, you'll need to pull over, turn the car off and restart it to use the cruse control again.
I have never encountered this. Mine keeps works. It will brake a little give room for the car and then pick up speed. It never turns off and requires me to take control over the breaks.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's 5 seconds. And you can just reactivate it by pressing the Set button on your Steering wheel.

Honestly Honda Sensing is the best thing you will ever experience. It's literally one step away from a self driving autonomous car.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's 5 seconds. And you can just reactivate it by pressing the Set button on your Steering wheel.
Even easier -- you can get going again by pressing on the gas pedal. ACC will reengage automatically.

I'm pretty sure there's a safety reason for it to not start moving automatically after it's stopped, even if the car ahead starts moving and the gap opens up. It requires confirmation from the driver that it's safe to proceed.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Even easier -- you can get going again by pressing on the gas pedal. ACC will reengage automatically.

I'm pretty sure there's a safety reason for it to not start moving automatically after it's stopped, even if the car ahead starts moving and the gap opens up. It requires confirmation from the driver that it's safe to proceed.
Putting your foot on the accelerator I don't find easier. As it requires you to shift your feet and legs, annoying if your in a comfortable position. Pressing a button with my thumb I find much easier.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Putting your foot on the accelerator I don't find easier. As it requires you to shift your feet and legs, annoying if your in a comfortable position. Pressing a button with my thumb I find much easier.
One will have to press the accelerator to get moving anyway.
So, this will eliminate one step! Me like, me like.......

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really don't like being in a non-driving position where my feet aren't ready to hit the pedals.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really don't like being in a non-driving position where my feet aren't ready to hit the pedals.
but then that's what Honda sensing is for :p

Not much of a need to hit the pedals in stop go traffic. But I know what you mean. I will assess the risk and move my feet closer to the pedals if I think I should be ready to engage full control because the traffic is getting a bit dense / conditions change.
Sponsored