Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I installed these and have toyed with all the settings I can think of (springs rate, shock height, damping settings) for about a week, and no matter what I do they squeak, bang, and clunk all the time. The ride is...okay? But the noises are worrying from a mechanical standpoint and are also quite frankly embarrassing.

Have any of you had any success getting these coilovers to perform? Can you please send me pictures of your spring, and shock settings, and let me know what damping settings you're using?

For the life of me, I cannot get these to perform and am considering getting a refund.
Sponsored

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I installed these and have toyed with all the settings I can think of (springs rate, shock height, damping settings) for about a week, and no matter what I do they squeak, bang, and clunk all the time. The ride is...okay? But the noises are worrying from a mechanical standpoint and are also quite frankly embarrassing.

Have any of you had any success getting these coilovers to perform? Can you please send me pictures of your spring, and shock settings, and let me know what damping settings you're using?

For the life of me, I cannot get these to perform and am considering getting a refund.
I have installed these coilovers and I am experiencing the same issues. Squeaking in the fronts and clunks in the rear. Did you ever find a solution for these issues?

OP
OP
Crough

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed these coilovers and I am experiencing the same issues. Squeaking in the fronts and clunks in the rear. Did you ever find a solution for these issues?
Yes, mostly.

There were two main issues with the rears. I haven't figured out the clicking in the front yet.

With regard to the rears, after about a year of reinstalling and tinkering with different settings and prolonged correspondence with TEIN, I sent the coilovers back to TEIN because they couldn't remotely diagnose or remedy the issue.

It turned out that the rear dampers were defective and were blown -- probably from the factory, because I had between 5-7k miles on them only and they were making those noises from the get-go and continuously throughout the time that I owned them.

TEIN rebuilt them for me, but I had to pay for shipping to and from SoCal which was around $60.

Second, in the installation instructions, TEIN "recommends" that you use 3M tape between the spring and the body when installing -- the stock shocks and other kits have a rubber gasket that sits between the spring and the frame of the vehicle, but the TEIN Flez Z does not. This can cause some noise, of course. The problem is that while they "recommend" that you use 3M tape during the install, they don't provide said 3M tape.

So, once I;

1) installed the rebuilt dampers
2) with 3M tape that I was not provided to me when I bought the product, although it is recommended by TEIN

Now the rear suspension rides perfectly and makes no noise.

The front still clicks, however. For me, it's only specifically the front right. I haven't been able to figure out why but I am still working on it.

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6-Spd Manual
No issues with mine, had them on for the past 3 years in all weather conditions including North East snow and no squeaks or clunks for me.

Also the 3M tape goes on the upper mount on the inside so it has a nice bond to the body. It should not be touching the spring in anyway. The 3M tape was provided as well in my kit.

First time installing coilovers?

OP
OP
Crough

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Please re-read a bit more carefully bud. I'm sure you'll figure it out in time.

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It turned out that the rear dampers were defective and were blown -- probably from the factory, because I had between 5-7k miles on them only and they were making those noises from the get-go and continuously throughout the time that I owned them.
'Made noises from the get go'. Sounds like poor installation. What did you think was going to happen if you don't fix it immediately POST installation? The funny thing is, instead of fixing it, y continue to drive 5-7k more then have the audacity to tell them it was defective when you had put a shit ton of miles on a bad install. Those shocks didn't know where to rebound because you didn't have them set on properly.

Second, in the installation instructions, TEIN "recommends" that you use 3M tape between the spring and the body when installing -- the stock shocks and other kits have a rubber gasket that sits between the spring and the frame of the vehicle, but the TEIN Flez Z does not. This can cause some noise, of course.
You said 'TEIN "recommends" that you use 3M tape between the spring and the body when installing'. No it does NOT go between the spring and the body. The spring should not be touching the frame of the body at all. The bottom part of the springs gets connected to the rubber spring seat from the old spring so as to not let the spring touch the body. You think 3m is going to stop metal on metal contact noise? You do not use 3m tape instead of the grommet. Jeez.... No wonder you hear clunks from the rear.

Anyway, the 3M tape does get provided and it goes on the top portion portion on the inside cup. I repeat 3m tape should NOT GO IN BETWEEN SPRING AND BODY FRAME.

HERES A PIC BELOW FOR DETAILS

Honda Civic 10th gen TEIN Flex Z for the FK7 - Issues 1681795420533

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crough

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What did you think was going to happen if you don't fix it immediately POST installation? You drive 5-7k to tell them it was defective from the beginning instead of taking any fault on the install?

You said 'TEIN "recommends" that you use 3M tape between the spring and the body when installing'. No it does NOT go between the spring and the body. The spring should not be touching the frame of the body at all. The bottom part of the springs gets connected to the rubber spring seat from the old spring. You do not use 3m tape instead of the grommet. Jeez.... No wonder you hear clunks from the rear.

Anyway, the 3M tape does get provided and it goes on the top portion portion on the inside cup. I repeat 3m tape should NOT GO IN BETWEEN SPRING AND BODY FRAME.
I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but we can work together to figure this out for you.

Read more carefully. Go a bit slower this time and try again.

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, mostly.

There were two main issues with the rears. I haven't figured out the clicking in the front yet.

With regard to the rears, after about a year of reinstalling and tinkering with different settings and prolonged correspondence with TEIN, I sent the coilovers back to TEIN because they couldn't remotely diagnose or remedy the issue.

TEIN rebuilt them for me, but I had to pay for shipping to and from SoCal which was around $60.

Second, in the installation instructions, TEIN "recommends" that you use 3M tape between the spring and the body when installing -- the stock shocks and other kits have a rubber gasket that sits between the spring and the frame of the vehicle, but the TEIN Flez Z does not. This can cause some noise, of course. The problem is that while they "recommend" that you use 3M tape during the install, they don't provide said 3M tape.

So, once I;

1) installed the rebuilt dampers
2) with 3M tape that I was not provided to me when I bought the product, although it is recommended by TEIN

Now the rear suspension rides perfectly and makes no noise.

The front still clicks, however. For me, it's only specifically the front right. I haven't been able to figure out why but I am still working on it.
I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but we can work together to figure this out for you.

Read more carefully. Go a bit slower this time and try again.

You need to read what you wrote, because I'm using your own words chump.

OP
OP
Crough

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's difficult to keep up with your edits to your own posts, but let's try again buddy. We can go slow. No problem. One issue at a time.

First, let's clear this issue up.

The funny thing is, instead of fixing it, y continue to drive 5-7k more then have the audacity to tell them it was defective when you had put a shit ton of miles on a bad install.
I'm not sure how you got this impression (other than perhaps being emotionally tied to your gut reaction for some reason), but what I said was, in fact;

after about a year of reinstalling and tinkering with different settings and prolonged correspondence with TEIN
Do you know what the words 'prolonged correspondence' mean? That may be the issue here, because it doesn't seem you understand the fact I was in contact with TEIN throughout this process.

Let me know once you've figured this one out, and we can move on!

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem is your a noob mechanic that can’t get it right on his first try because you have absolutely no experience. After your first failed attempt and many attempts after, even with the help of the manufacturer via email/phone, you still did not reach out to an actual professional mechanic.

You sound like you have too much of an ego to admit any type of fault of your own during the installation. Because if it was working before with no noise and then you go and make some changes. Then you hear some noises coming from the area you worked on, then it’s poor installation. Especially if you do this type of job once every few years. That type of experience sounds like you’re gonna make a lot of mistakes.

OP
OP
Crough

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is your a noob mechanic that can’t get it right on his first try because you have absolutely no experience. After your first failed attempt and many attempts after, even with the help of the manufacturer via email/phone, you still did not reach out to an actual professional mechanic.

You sound like you have too much of an ego to admit any type of fault of your own during the installation. Because if it was working before with no noise and then you go and make some changes. Then you hear some noises coming from the area you worked on, then it’s poor installation. Especially if you do this type of job once every few years. That type of experience sounds like you’re gonna make a lot of mistakes.
Still not sure you're getting it. That's okay!

Slow down and focus specifically on the words 'prolonged correspondence'. You can google what they mean if you need to.

Let me know when you've got it figured out or if you need more help from me.

I'm also unsure why you've now decided to assume this;

you still did not reach out to an actual professional mechanic.
Can you explain why you've decided to assume this? I suspect it's another emotional reaction - but you tell me!

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No you’re not getting it. You need actual help from a professional because you can’t install mid level parts.

You contact the manufacturer for help on something that should be a simple install for a professional mechanic. If you didn’t touch your car and had someone qualified 1000% your car would have been done in 3-5 hours tops.The more you keep talking, the more you sound like you don’t know what you’re doing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.