Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6-Spd Manual
  • Banned
So as the title suggests I just bought a set of coilovers to replace my lowering springs. I opted for TEINS since they are made in Japan and are OG's in the coilover game. I chose this because I was also thinking of getting the EDFC system that is only available with their coilovers. Since not many people have this system and can justify the price point I went ahead and splurged. This is going on my daily FK7. I will update the thread with install once they all arrive.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I have a set on my si and I got the gps add on as well. Love the ride
Nice, I purchased the gps too. On a scale from 1-10 how much do you think it has improved the cars feel?

stevebinh

Stevebinh
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice, I purchased the gps too. On a scale from 1-10 how much do you think it has improved the cars feel?
I give it an 8 compared to my swift springs I had on my Subaru. Going over bulls doesn’t hurt as much and the ride is smoother

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gentlemen, how did you get the rear EDFC motors into place? From what I've seen, the shocks bolt 'up' from the wheel well and there doesn't appear to be access from the hatch area. I haven't pulled the interior yet but (I hate saying this out loud) all the YouTube videos I've watched show the top of the shock bolting to a mount with a hole in the bottom, but I haven't seen a hole in the top.
Not sure I can stand the idea of drilling a 3-4 inch hole in the unibody to access the top of the shocks.
EDFC active PRO arrived yesterday and the Flex Z's are expected next week so any advice is appreciated.

JimTheSoundGuy

stevebinh

Stevebinh
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gentlemen, how did you get the rear EDFC motors into place? From what I've seen, the shocks bolt 'up' from the wheel well and there doesn't appear to be access from the hatch area. I haven't pulled the interior yet but (I hate saying this out loud) all the YouTube videos I've watched show the top of the shock bolting to a mount with a hole in the bottom, but I haven't seen a hole in the top.
Not sure I can stand the idea of drilling a 3-4 inch hole in the unibody to access the top of the shocks.
EDFC active PRO arrived yesterday and the Flex Z's are expected next week so any advice is appreciated.

JimTheSoundGuy
Had to place mine on before mounting

OP
OP

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

JimTheSoundGuy
Had to place mine on before mounting
The only way to adjust the dampening is removing the strut and setting the clicks on our 10th gens. There is no access from the top. You need to preinstall them onto the strut before installing. You will also need to figure out a way to get the wiring into the cabin. I had to drill a whole into the body to snake it inside.

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only way to adjust the dampening is removing the strut and setting the clicks on our 10th gens. There is no access from the top. You need to preinstall them onto the strut before installing. You will also need to figure out a way to get the wiring into the cabin. I had to drill a whole into the body to snake it inside.

Thankyou,
Not the answer I was hoping to hear but better to know now. The motors arrived this morning so at least I know what I'm dealing with. If I decide to open a hole from the top I'll be sure to document well with photos and share.
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had yours in? and have you had to pull them back out since installing?

JimTheSoundGuy

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There was a guy on here that installed them and drilled a hole in the rear trunk compartment to feed the wire true of the edfc motor.
So it is possible.
Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro 20200316_202921
Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro 20200316_195052

OP
OP

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drilled somewhere else.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro D1FCFEFA-FFBE-49B1-8C3F-3BF394B6530D

Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro 485CECC1-44BA-4752-ACE7-9F21DA2931F9

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drilled mine into the pocket near the upper mounts so we only had to go through one layer of steel. The cable came out the back of the shock tower in the hatch with just enough lead to easily work with the connectors.
I'll add photos from underneath the next time the wheels are off.
If you're curious, I mounted the rear motor controller in the hatch area, behind the bracket that holds the jack. I'm using the hatch common ground screw on the left side, but pulled acc. power from the main fusebox.
Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro Hatch no interior
Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro Left Rear
Honda Civic 10th gen Tein Flex Z + EDFC Active Pro Right rear