Teenager backed into my parked car - go through insurance or out of pocket? FYI in California

psukim

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Country flag
So here's the summary: I had parked my vehicle next to the sidewalk to look at some open houses - an hour later I return and about to leave but a teenager stops me and tells me that she accidentally hit my car with her Toyota Tundra as she was backing up.

I get out and look at the damage - the front bumper is scratched up in multiple spots and the left headlights are cracked.

I get her information (wasn't driving with a license, but shared her insurance), took some photos, and got my friend as a witness. Just filed a claim to my insurance company and got back from the shop (should be getting an estimate soon).

I plan on keeping the car for a while but don't want to hurt the resale value. Insurance will likely report it to DMV and it'll show up on carfax if I go through them - alternatively I can work with the kids parents to settle out of pocket and get it fixed, though I don't know if they'll agree to paying 2-3k for the parts/labor. What would you guys do in my situation?

Pics attached.

Honda Civic 10th gen Teenager backed into my parked car - go through insurance or out of pocket? FYI in California IMG_2013

Honda Civic 10th gen Teenager backed into my parked car - go through insurance or out of pocket? FYI in California IMG_2014

Honda Civic 10th gen Teenager backed into my parked car - go through insurance or out of pocket? FYI in California IMG_2015

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If either insurance company is involved you MAY wind up on a Carfax Report (which most people know is very Hit-or-Miss). If other car people are willing to fully pay for repair and you control who does it that may be the way to go. Also remember that a mechanics lean will hold your car until someone pays the bill. However, you've already contacted your insurance company so they MAY still report it even if you don't file a claim for them to pay. Good Luck

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Few things.

Resale value only matters if you plan to sell the car when it's relatively new. As the car gets older, an accident on the vehicle's carfax report matters less and less. Hard to quantify the exact dollar value. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I generally like to avoid any insurance claims, regardless of who's at fault. Insurance premiums will always potentially go up.

Based on the pics, that easily looks like $1k in damage, especially with the cracked headlight. The bumper could probably just be refinished, which would save some money.

Last edited:

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
If the teenager's insurance is paying for the damage, then please be sure to file a diminishing value claim. This way, you will be made whole (hopefully).

I personally don't recommend paying out of pocket (or without insurance) because:
  • If the car isn't fixed right, it's hard to hold the shop accountable.
  • If CarFax shows the repair, then you won't be compensated for it.

Cheers,

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Regardless of which way you go take a boat load of pics before, during and after repairs. Document-document-document for any future buyer so you can prove the whole front end didn't get knocked off.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
First...... good on the teen for fessing up, her parents taught her good values.

Since you've already filed a claim with insurance, you may as well proceed with insurance. To my knowledge, even if you file a claim with a zero payout, it is still likely reported to Carfax.

Someone else had a similar situation on here recently, post shouldn't be crazy far back.
Sponsored