Target price for having a resonator welded in?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm currently struggling to find a place in my area who can weld a Vibrant Resonator onto my Remus Exhaust for a good price. Everyone that I've talked to in the Type R Facebook groups seem to tell me that I shouldn't pay more than $100, but the only locations near me that will do it for that price are retail muffler shops (Midas, Monroe, etc.). The good performance shops all want more than $400, with the highest rated wanting nearly $1000 for welding.

Is this what I should be expecting to pay? Or should I just take it to Midas?
Sponsored

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
a mom and pop place should charge $60-120 at the most, at least in my area.

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I got my vibrant res welded yesterday for 80$. Local muffler shop

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you want to go the cost effective route, I would look for a small independent shop that only specializes in mufflers with good reviews, and has been around for a while rather than a chain associated shop where employees often come and go.

The skill of the person doing the labor is huge factor and from my past experiences, an independent muffler shop will most likely have better quality of work than a chain shop.

The Remus exhaust is slip fit right? Perhaps whoever is doing the work can take measurements, and quickly pop the midpipe off to weld the resonator on rather than on the car where it can be an obstacle to weld.

I would not bother with a performance shop unless they specialize in welding and fabrication but then again like you mentioned, the labor rates get higher in that territory.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
You should absolutely be aiming for under $100 for the job. My local 5 star rated independent shop charged $60 for the labor.

It's interesting that you're doing this on the remus exhaust. Does it have drone even with the valve closed?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should absolutely be aiming for under $100 for the job. My local 5 star rated independent shop charged $60 for the labor.

It's interesting that you're doing this on the remus exhaust. Does it have drone even with the valve closed?
Not with the stock downpipe. With an aftermarket catted DP though, the lack of a resonator really shows.

Did you go to an independent muffler specific shop? Or a performance oriented mechanic?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
An independent shop can do a whole exhaust system for 300$, a resonator shouldn't be more than 100$

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Not with the stock downpipe. With an aftermarket catted DP though, the lack of a resonator really shows.

Did you go to an independent muffler specific shop? Or a performance oriented mechanic?
Gotcha. The shop I went to is in-between those two categories.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
You bought a limited edition car, the fastest FF car Honda has ever made...only to bring it to Midas for a sub $100 MIG weld job on a stainless exhaust? Dude, spend the money lol. You get what you pay for with fab work, that dollar/hour rate is a direct relation to the skill of your guy so go cheap and hope it doesn't crack/fall off down the road.

Tpham97

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR CW
Country flag
Hey OP were you able to get the resonator welded on? And do you have a sound clip?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did. It didn't change the sound at all, though it did dramatically lower the volume. With the valve fully open, the volume became much quieter.
Sponsored