masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Noticed mine doing the same thing today and was curious about it. Sounds like it's normal. Thanks for posting!
Yeah! Sorta weird to hear just wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about it hahah :)
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
No easy way to say it. The 1.5 is one of the noisiest motors I’ve ever owned. And not in a good way.

What brand oil are you running? With other cars I’ve owned, I’ve found certain brands and viscosities of oil quiet down the valve train more than others.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I believe that ticking sound is just a common Honda Genx engine sound.. present to varying degrees on all genX Honda.

I hear it slightly on mine, and other (new) cars as well at the Dealership.

It could be loud Injectors, or some form of Valve train noise -- I had just accepted it, as it is almost undetectable when the hood is closed, and I cannot hear it form within the car, but now you have me curious --

Time to get the Stethoscope and track it down !! Would be good to know exactly what it is.

My bet would be the High Pressure Injectors -- or the High Pressure Fuel Pump -- should be easy enough to confirm that --- found a bad Low Pressure Injector using the stethoscope on my older Nissan.

BTW: Found this else where on the forum.

On some Honda engines, the new Earth Dreams engines, they were putting little shrouds around the injectors to keep noise down. It does not appear that Honda is using them on the Si.

Last edited:

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While in park/neutral give the engine a quick rev...if the tapping noise stops while the rpm is dropping then its the injectors. My injectors go quiet when my revs are dropping while at 0 throttle, you can hear them turn back on and start clacking away again right before it hits idle speed.
Sponsored

Last edited: