masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag

Hey Guys, I have been hearing this tapping noise for a while now. I’ve brought it to the dealership but the sound obviously magically goes away. I’m just wondering if you guys have any insight into why this sound is occurring? I don’t think it’s knocking but who knows.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sounds like valve tap to me. Some amount of tap is normal. My previous Civic had a valve tap for the second half of it's 230,000 mile life. So, it's no big deal.

Does it go away when the car warms up? The 1.5T engine has variable valve timing and it may change as the car warms up.

OP
OP
masspimentel

masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Sounds like valve tap to me. Some amount of tap is normal. My previous Civic had a valve tap for the second half of it's 230,000 mile life. So, it's no big deal.

Does it go away when the car warms up? The 1.5T engine has variable valve timing and it may change as the car warms up.
No it usually happens after a longer drive, or at least when it’s warmed up and been driving. Usually I don’t hear it on cold start. My car is also only at 56k km. I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you hear it inside the car while you're driving? If you only hear it outside the car, I think it sounds perfectly normal.

OP
OP
masspimentel

masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Do you hear it inside the car while you're driving? If you only hear it outside the car, I think it sounds perfectly normal.
I hear it, it’s very faint but I can hear it in the car.

Miro

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si, 2016 Pilot (wife's)
Country flag
Noticed mine doing the same thing today and was curious about it. Sounds like it's normal. Thanks for posting!

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
What are the oils change intervals if its 1.5 and you wait alot oils does get thinner have you checked when oil is new is it makes that noise

OP
OP
masspimentel

masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
What are the oils change intervals if its 1.5 and you wait alot oils does get thinner have you checked when oil is new is it makes that noise
Well, the maintenance minder says 70% but ill check the dipstick tomorrow. I've changed my oil whenever the minder said too, so maybe every 7k-10k km.
Sponsored