OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
So you got a base model 2017 STI since it doesn't have a moonroof. How can you say it's basically a Limited trim? You can't buy the BBS rims, leather trim, etc.

Congrats though.
It has the 2 things I wanted from a limited (push button start and the HK audio) with out all of the things I didn't want such as the moon roof and it had options I didn't specifically look for but was glad it had them such as the STI Performance exhaust and the Homelink Mirror

Pluse I was really upside down on a Prius C so I never even considered trading it but they made me such a good offer I couldn't refuse

Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI Accessories_zpskropdnw

I'll pay this off in 3 years and by that time the Type Rs will be reasonable and I will find a dealership that didn't screw their customers and buy one.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
....I'll pay this off in 3 years and by that time the Type Rs will be reasonable and I will find a dealership that didn't screw their customers and buy one.​
You're assuming the Type R will be in production then. If so, fantastic. And you're then assuming these will be readily available.

I'm glad you got this damn car, or a car. But can we still talk you out of this car, have you trade this STI in for a Type R? Or is it really too late?

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
It has the 2 things I wanted from a limited (push button start and the HK audio) with out all of the things I didn't want such as the moon roof and it had options I didn't specifically look for but was glad it had them such as the STI Performance exhaust and the Homelink Mirror

Pluse I was really upside down on a Prius C so I never even considered trading it but they made me such a good offer I couldn't refuse

Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI Accessories_zpskropdnw

I'll pay this off in 3 years and by that time the Type Rs will be reasonable and I will find a dealership that didn't screw their customers and buy one.
Good deal boba , I'm glad you found one. You'll love it man. It's such a fun car !! Enjoy it man

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
Only negatives are it has a timing belt instead of chain and hard to change the spark plugs. Otherwise it is a superior platform to the civic type r. congratus on the purchase.

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're assuming the Type R will be in production then. If so, fantastic. And you're then assuming these will be readily available.

I'm glad you got this damn car, or a car. But can we still talk you out of this car, have you trade this STI in for a Type R? Or is it really too late?

They have been building Type R's for a long time, I think this is the 5th version???

I'll have the STI paid off in 3 years and it will probably be one of the cars I'll just keep.

I might even have a professional shop tune it up in 5 years once the warranty is up.

Good deal boba , I'm glad you found one. You'll love it man. It's such a fun car !! Enjoy it man
Only negatives are it has a timing belt instead of chain and hard to change the spark plugs. Otherwise it is a superior platform to the civic type r. congratus on the purchase.

Thanks. To be honest the way I feel about buying a car is just as important as the quality/performance/use of the car.

If I had gotten raked over the coals buying a Type R I would have always had that feeling of disgust competing with any joy I got from owning/driving it. I'm sure that feeling would have worsened over time as the stories of huge losses on future trades got posted here in a year or two.

I haven't even seen the STI I bought but since I got it well below MSRP the satisfaction of that will override any negative feelings that might have surfaced in the future.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I don't know if it's superior or not but it's an older platform compared to the Civic.

The WRX and sti will use the new Subaru global platform for 2020MY.

Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 hatch, 12 civic base, 14 Si, 17 CTR
Country flag
First as many have stated here, You can indeed can purchase a CTR for MSRP of $34,775 or whatever it is with the destination fee.

Second. I've seen and watched the reviews, the Golf R, Focus RS, WRX STi, Evo X. and for some weird reason these people reviewing the cars neglect that it may on paper be in the same class, but as a production vehicle they aren't!! As a platform they are all worlds apart and different. They accomplish a similar goal being around 2.0L turbocharged engines producing +/- 300hp and 300tq.

My personal experience. I have driven, rode in, and raced a WRX STI/ Evo 8,9, and 10, as well as the new Focus RS at autocross and on the open roads, and I will say in terms of overall performance they accomplish goals all differently. I have yet to autocross or drive my CTR hard, it has seen the speed limit and my garage basically, but handling wise the CTR was a nurburgring focused car, where the WRX STI has always been a world rally cross platform, same goes for the evo, more focused on tarmac driving but none the less. which leaves the Golf R and Focus RS, which personally are way more hot hatch than those listed. In terms of "driving experience" the Type R is tame, refined and polished and Yes as we all know "The King of the Ring" for a FWD, it will never behave like any of the AWD competition. I feel the k20c1 power plant is more exhilarating to drive than the STI EJ25 for comparison (my personal preference).

In summary I may be a little bias but I will say I have raced and instructed everything from a nissan leaf to lamborghini/ ferrari/ porsche gt3 performance ranges, and I will say given my experiences and being quite an enthusiast of many brands performance cars. Purchase the car that speaks to you deep down inside (which sounds cliche) because there you will find your happiness in a car that resonates with you! 300hp cars are slow, yes the CTR Focus RS Golf R, Evo 8-10, and WRX Sti are quick fun and at times very fast, but it will never be 600+hp fast until it is. (which around that hp range i feel is worthy of the term fast)

I won't go on about standard features, and all that paper BS because you can do some searching around and I am sure that you already have!

If an STi is for you then I hope you own one and enjoy it! but if the Type R or its competition speaks to you and you happen to own any of those I wish you the same. With confidence I can say I love my Type R but then again I've been in love with vtec motors since my first ride in an s2000 17 years ago.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Buy the WRX STI ;) They are great cars and the new ones handle especially well. They have an analog feel that is lacking in modern cars and it's cool that you can dial in how much power goes to the rear. Only downsides are bad gas mileage and more narrow powerband than other modern offerings. If you keep the rpms in the sweet spot it's just as quick as competitors.

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a quick update

Still watching this forum because I might buy a Type R someday

Having been a blast with the STI, added some real carbon fiber to the dash and a set of oil pressure/temp gauges.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have enjoyed a Type R but knowing how I hate getting screwed on a car purchase I'm glad went with the the STi, especially after the discounted price I paid

Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI 2107%20STi%20007_zpsa0sulke1

I love this dash

Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI STI%20Guage%20012_zps17dvlqwo

I kind of can't wait till I need tires so I can replace the gold wrapped factory wheels with something else :)

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Are those gold wheels OEM? I thought they only came black now?

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I "wrapped" then with the gold color.

I guess that what the kids say these days, it use be called dipping :)
Sponsored