Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Do you have the source for this? I was considers an RS as my daily
There are pictures posted to one of these threads that show cheap black painted steel suspension parts and a very thin drive shaft

The point if this thread was to give members a chance to convince me to Not Buy the STI and stick with the Type R.

Instead I'm getting a bunch of people telling to buy an STI but to just hold off for the 2018
Found it:

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8453
Sponsored

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
Everyday the stories about dealership shenanigans get worse.

At this point I am almost certain that I will get an STI and then in a couple years get a Type R.

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This forum has failed to talk me out of buying an STi

I'm starting the paperwork on one tomorrow.

That $38000 Honda isn't getting from me this year, or probably at all.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

Any new car is going to have hype and dealer shenanigans. This isn't new at all. You have 3 options.

1. Pay ADM and secure a CTR.
2. Wait it out. The hype WILL die down.
3. Get an STI now.

The STI isn't a bad car. There's no reason to try to talk someone out of it. You seem like you just need reassurance from others about your STI purchase.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
Any new car is going to have hype and dealer shenanigans. This isn't new at all. You have 3 options.

3. Get an STI now.

The STI isn't a bad car. There's no reason to try to talk someone out of it. You seem like you just need reassurance from others about your STI purchase.

Shhh! By responding, you may or may not talk him out of an STI!

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag

That's one more CTR for someone who wants it.

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

3. Get an STI now.

I didn't know much about the STi when I posted this thread. I found lots of info to dissuade me from buying a Focus RS, but not a lot of bad threads about the STi.

I truly thought the fanboys of this forum will dig up all the dirt on the STI and give me a reason to stick with the R I put a deposit on.

But that didn't happen, in fact most of the posts were trying to convince me to wait for the 2020 STi, wtf?

That's one more CTR for someone who wants it.
If they don't mind paying for $2000 in accessories and a $4500 ADM

If you up for that call Barbour Hendrick Honda in Greenville, NC and put a deposit on the one I was going to get. Just don't expect them follow through on the deal even if you have a written contract with them.

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
I didn't know much about the STi when I posted this thread. I found lots of info to dissuade me from buying a Focus RS, but not a lot of bad threads about the STi.

I truly thought the fanboys of this forum will dig up all the dirt on the STI and give me a reason to stick with the R I put a deposit on.

But that didn't happen, in fact most of the posts were trying to convince me to wait for the 2020 STi, wtf?

If they don't mind paying for $2000 in accessories and a $4500 ADM

If you up for that call Barbour Hendrick Honda in Greenville, NC and put a deposit on the one I was going to get. Just don't expect them follow through on the deal even if you have a written contract with them.
I've already locked in my deal at a dealer, but thanks for the offer. I stick with what I know and that's Honda's. I had then all my life and so have my parents. I know how to fix them and swap out motors, so I chose to stick with what I know, and I know if you take care of them that they will last forever. I'm not a "fanboy" of Honda's fit GFE. Just love their reliability and quality.

Good luck with your STI though. They seem like fun cars.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
An STI is an ugly, unreliable, piece of shit car that drives great and is fast as hell. A CTR is an over-styled/ricey, yet efficient, reliable, well designed, and comfortable car that drives phenomenally and is fast as hell. To me it's an easy choice!!

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R #2314, LS Swapped FC RX-7
Country flag
I don't know what you expected to happen. This forum is full of people who are interested in a Type R but have not actually driven one yet. It's a brand new model! All we know is what journalists have told us and from reading a specification sheet.

People have given you solid advice. Wait for the 2020 STi or get a new CTR. Buying a brand new STi of this generation is not a good financial decision IMO considering the 2.5L will be even older news than it already is in 2019. The current gen value will drop like a rock when the next gen comes out.

It sounds like you NEED a car right now but are not willing to pay ADM. So I guess your only option is an STi. They were pretty cool back in 2004/2005 when they first came out and the engine was new. 13 years later it's the same engine that only makes power for 2K RPM. I personally wasn't impressed when I drove one. To get a Limited STi that is similarly equipped to the CTR you will be paying about $40K+ before taxes and licensing.

If you live in a climate that needs AWD then get an STi. If you want something more reliable, comfortable and gets better gas mileage wait until the CTR can be had for MSRP.

y4ngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB CTR
Country flag
I don't know what you expected to happen. This forum is full of people who are interested in a Type R but have not actually driven one yet. It's a brand new model! All we know is what journalists have told us and from reading a specification sheet.

People have given you solid advice. Wait for the 2020 STi or get a new CTR. Buying a brand new STi of this generation is not a good financial decision IMO considering the 2.5L will be even older news than it already is in 2019. The current gen value will drop like a rock when the next gen comes out.

It sounds like you NEED a car right now but are not willing to pay ADM. So I guess your only option is an STi. They were pretty cool back in 2004/2005 when they first came out and the engine was new. 13 years later it's the same engine that only makes power for 2K RPM. I personally wasn't impressed when I drove one. To get a Limited STi that is similarly equipped to the CTR you will be paying about $40K+ before taxes and licensing.

If you live in a climate that needs AWD then get an STi. If you want something more reliable, comfortable and gets better gas mileage wait until the CTR can be had for MSRP.
Pretty much this.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
That was kind of a biased article. Panicking over steel stamped suspension components is laughable as plenty of expensive cars utilize this. The Golf R utilizes the same stamped steel components and it's not an issue or quality drawback. In regards to the driveshaft why would anyone want one larger or heavier than it has to be? I don't think there's any major driveshaft issues so what's the big deal?

In regards to the STI I've been there and done that. There's nothing wrong with an STI if you can get past the styling and fact that the driveline dates back over a decade. It's a quick car when aggressively launched but that 0-60 mph magazine time of 4.6 seconds is a full two seconds slower 5-60 mph so they aren't exactly fast cars on the street as the old EJ257 (I won't get into the ringland stuff as it's been beaten to death) requires a very heavy foot to extract it's power but if you enjoy the on/off feel of old peaky turbocharged engines it may be something you consider a bonus compared to newer turbocharged engines that have less lag and more linear power. It's a capable car and has solid resale value but it's also a "me too" car as they are everywhere but it's still a Subaru which means terrible paint and endless squeaks and rattles. A lot of people that buy them sell them quickly after because like EVO's they can get pretty old fast with the harsh ride, low rent interior, and the really the idea of owning and STI is a lot better than the reality. That said if you like it, buy it. Not sure why anyone would entertain anonymous internet posters opinions on how to make a relatively large car purchase. Do your own research, drive the car and it you like it, buy it.

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just gleaned more info from these past 3 posts then the entire thread.

It was info that I also picked up on at the STI forum.

It's all a mute point now because as of Monday I will have a 2017 STI with an awesome options package (basically it's a limited without the Sunroof but with the STI Performance Exhaust) and I'm paying $4k less then MSRP. and about $6k less then what the limited costs.

I passed on the 2018 for a variety of reasons - 19" wheels, can't get push button start and the upgraded stereo at the same time, big ass YELLOW 6 pot Brembos and a couple other issues.

There are used 2017s with less accessories that are selling on Autotrader for more then what I am paying for this car.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

It's all a mute point now because as of Monday I will have a 2017 STI with an awesome options package (basically it's a limited without the Sunroof but with the STI Performance Exhaust) and I'm paying $4k less then MSRP. and about $6k less then what the limited costs.

I passed on the 2018 for a variety of reasons - 19" wheels, can't get push button start and the upgraded stereo at the same time, big ass YELLOW 6 pot Brembos and a couple other issues.

There are used 2017s with less accessories that are selling on Autotrader for more then what I am paying for this car.
So you got a base model 2017 STI since it doesn't have a moonroof. How can you say it's basically a Limited trim? You can't buy the BBS rims, leather trim, etc.

Congrats though.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good deal. Lots of community support and aftermarket options await you.
Sponsored