Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
If you're looking at the Golf R, I recommend waiting till the '18 models come out with the different dsg transmission. Think they're also upgrading the infotainment, if that matters to you. I like the Golf R a lot, but do wish they weren't around 40k msrp.
Agreed. Plus it gets the virtual cockpit. Sadly, the GTI might not get that until at least next year.
Sponsored

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
If you're looking at the Golf R, I recommend waiting till the '18 models come out with the different dsg transmission. Think they're also upgrading the infotainment, if that matters to you. I like the Golf R a lot, but do wish they weren't around 40k msrp.
Interestingly enough around these parts, the Audi S3 costs less OTD because none of the VW dealerships are willing to go under MSRP for the Golf R (some even have ADM on top).

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Honda will always be a Honda. It's cheap and everywhere.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the 2018 STI were all new with a new engine then I would say you would have a difficult decision to make. But its just a refresh. Believe me, Honda dealers are pissing all of us off but if you truly love Honda, you should wait a year when inventory is greater and sale prices are back to MSRP or below. Not mention, the possibility of a "base" model. Ask yourself, does the brand mean anything to you? If the degree for which your loyalty to the brand is low, then get the STI and give a Honda fanboy like myself a greater opportunity to buy a Type R. But like an apostle, I will do my best to make you a believer and welcome you into the family. Wait for a Type R.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
If the 2018 STI were all new with a new engine then I would say you would have a difficult decision to make. But its just a refresh. Believe me, Honda dealers are pissing all of us off but if you truly love Honda, you should wait a year when inventory is greater and sale prices are back to MSRP or below. Not mention, the possibility of a "base" model. Ask yourself, does the brand mean anything to you? If the degree for which your loyalty to the brand is low, then get the STI and give a Honda fanboy like myself a greater opportunity to buy a Type R. But like an apostle, I will do my best to make you a believer and welcome you into the family. Wait for a Type R.
As someone who's worked in strategic brand management in the past, it baffles me that so many consumers are willing to add irrationality to their decision-making for the benefit of the company under the auspice of "staying loyal to the brand". The notion of brand loyalty hands power from the consumer to the firm because it diminishes the threat of the consumer moving to a competing firm.

Back to the topic though, I'd wait for a new powertrain in the STi. The current one has been around since around 2001...and it's not exactly the most reliable engine in the world (see: cracked ringland issues).

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone who's worked in strategic brand management in the past, it baffles me that so many consumers are willing to add irrationality to their decision-making for the benefit of the company under the auspice of "staying loyal to the brand". The notion of brand loyalty hands power from the consumer to the firm because it diminishes the threat of the consumer moving to a competing firm.

Back to the topic though, I'd wait for a new powertrain in the STi. The current one has been around since around 2001...and it's not exactly the most reliable engine in the world (see: cracked ringland issues).
Your bewilderment probably explains why you are no longer in brand management....

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I think brand loyalty towards honda is justified if you value reliability and relative lower cost of repairs outside of warrantee.

The only other company I can say the same to similar extent is toyota, but nothing they make today remotely interests me.

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
GET THE F*** OFF THIS FORUM THEN BUDDY....hahaha j/p

if you really are thinking of WRX you really shouldn't be on this forum.. because it just tells me you are settling

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Brand loyalty makes a lot of sense from a more emotional perspective. Not hard to imagine people gravitating towards what is familiar, nostalgic, and moving towards generalizations.

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a Sport Hatch and put all the NOS you can buy with the money you saved.

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
I vote golf r, supercar preformance with just a tune

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Talk you out of getting a 2018 STI? Easily done. It's running the 14 year old EJ257 engine that's still, to this date, blowing ringlands and spinning bearings even in stock power. This engine has massive turbo lag and sucks gas like a V8. Aside from the engine, the STI is going to move to the new global platform in a couple of years, which promises to be 100% stiffer and have 50% less body roll than the base chassis on which the VA is derived from. You'd have to be a real sucker to buy the STI at this point.

More importantly, Subaru is such a tiny manufacturer compared to the big dogs of the industry. In 2015, Honda produced 4.5 million vehicles while Subaru did 590k. These numbers are even more telling when you consider that Honda was founded 68 years ago and started off making motorcycles out of a shack, compared to Subaru at 63 years ago with 4 companies under their umbrella including a scooter company, chassis making company, etc. What's the point of this interesting history tidbit? Honda was doing something right in order to rise to where they are now over 68 years, while Subaru today is still not even on the top 15 car manufacturers list (by production volume). Obviously the volume of cars produced is not the only indicator of success, and Subaru only has 2 factories to their name, but they are still competing in the same segments as the market leaders (small car - midsized cars, SUVs) and it's not like they just started overnight either.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...336089/#/forumsite/20556/topics/336089?page=1

^ I think the parts about how rare the boxer engine is (compared to inline) for a variety of reasons, and the doubling of components and increased complexity, and their notoriety in burning oil (which is still happening even with the FA series engines!) are enough to make me think twice before getting a car with a boxer engine in it. I still have NOT yet ruled out a next gen STI as a possible upgrade, but I'm definitely considering the Civic Type-R after hearing more about it.
Sponsored