Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
With all of the dealership shenanigans surrounding the Type R I am having second thoughts about getting one and may just order a 2018 WRX STI.

I think it looks more refined

It's all wheel drive and the interior isn't in your face so much

A couple things that bother me -
  • Yellow Brembos
  • NO fog lights

If I’m going to pay $42k – $45k for a Type R I might as well just get the STI and save myself $5k
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Current STI motor is over 14 years old.

Subaru will redesign the STI engine and chassis for 2020. Now is not a good time to buy an STI IMO.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Type R is for a Honda enthusiast. If you're seriously creating a thread for this, then yes maybe you should reconsider a CTR purchase.
Honda enthusiast or not, this dealer nonsense is getting old real fast.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda enthusiast or not, this dealer nonsense is getting old real fast.
Just have to do your research and not succumb to outrageous ADM. I ask for help and finally doubled downed and contacted over 30 dealers to secure a CTR. I also wasted my time at dealerships to hear their lies about pricing, only to change up what they told me over the phone. It sucks but it's reality.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Just have to do your research and not succumb to outrageous ADM. I ask for help and finally doubled downed and contacted over 30 dealers to secure a CTR. I also wasted my time at dealerships to hear their lies about pricing, only to change up what they told me over the phone. It sucks but it's reality.
I'm glad it worked for you, you are lucky. :) I've contacted at least that many (probably more by now) and haven't locked down anything it seems. Nearly every dealer quoted 10k+ ADM off the bat or when talking to the manager changed their tune to ADM from the salesman saying not. Granted the ones I am talking to by now have a line as well, but even well before that. Nothing signed, the ones that have been reasonable are not doing deposits. Pretty much a gamble at the moment and I doubt I will be getting one at this point. Not paying 50k for this car after ADM/TTT. No way.

As for OP, if you can find a reasonable dealer, I say get the R. Otherwise, depends on how you feel your money is best placed: ADM or towards a different car.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
Try getting the CTR or the STI Type RA and see which is available for you to purchase. Who know, if you can't buy either without markup go for your STI.

FYI, The Focus RS drives better than the STI. The RS3 and golf r are not a bad choices either.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I'm not gunna talk you out of it cause I own a 2015 STI & don't get me wrong I like it , but I'm not in love with it. If that makes sense. And I am trading mine inn on a Ctr. But I will give you a few things to think about. And I can only speak for the 2015 model. First is the motor , it's 14 years old & they run good , but a possible ring land failer is possible with the 2.5 ( look up ring land failer & read) second is if you do modifications, any mod for that matter , you have to tune for it & if you add a Cobb tuner you've voided your warranty threw subaru & yes they can tell even if u flash back to stock. Next is interior , I only have a base model , not a limited so I can only speak for that model , but my radio SUCKs , I suppose I could have gone the aftermarket route , but why spend a couple grand on audio when I bought a car that cost 36k. So if your into audio get the limited version. Next is road noise , it is so damn loud in these cars , it's hard to explain, but I don't like it. I did however read that subaru changed this for the 2018 model & added more sound insulation to the car. And there other little interior things that piss me off , like random squeaks & rattles from the plastic panels , I didn't notice this when it was brand new , but with some miles on it I suppose things have loosened up. The gear shifter is notchy , but I think that's just a subaru thing. But it does shift pretty good. Take this with a grain of salt , I'm not trying to talk you out of it , but rather give u some things to consider. I really like my subaru STI , I've kept mine stock & it's been a good car. But at heart I'm a Honda enthusiast & the CTR will be like going back home. So if you want a STI go For it , but I suggest you hop on the STI fourms & read read read. All in all it's been a good car & what I will do , is keep my eye on Subaru's until they change the motor over from the 2.5. Who knows , if that happens in a few years I MIGHT just trade my CTR for one. But that just my take on things. Hope this helps Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI IMG_2655.JPG

OP
OP

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
Type R is for a Honda enthusiast. If you're seriously creating a thread for this, then yes maybe you should reconsider a CTR purchase.

A couple people have mentioned this.

I'm a buy low, sell high kind of guy.

Why should I buy a CTR for more then MSRP or wait until the STI gets the overhaul everyone is waiting for, which I am sure will be a reason for Subaru to start adding ADMs to those again.

Currently, I can get deals on STIs and Focus RSs and from most accounts Honda dealers want ridiculous ADMs, even the dealer I have a contract with is now indicating that their may be an ADM on the second round car that I have a deposit on. Plus I am being told that labor is not included for Dealer installed accessories (contract obligates me for $1500 in accessories) and have been told that it might take they .5 hour to install the door edge guards, or 2 hours to install the window vents, etc.

SHENANAGINS.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
Unfortunately, since this car just came out, and is in limited production, you're in the exact predicament you're in. Supply and demand, and dealerships are businesses taking advantage of consumer apparent demand.

I own a 17 STI, have owned it for less than a year, and I'm trading this in for a CTR. Like detail said, I'm a Honda enthusiast, always have been. I live in CO, with 4 seasons, hence why I bought the STI. If this CTR was available when I was looking, I would have bought the Honda. I hate swapping snow tires during winter, which is why I purchased the STI and run all seasons. But for the Honda? Totally worth the pain of swapping tires!

A bit about owning a STI. This car can be a pain to drive haha my M4 is a much smoother car to drive. This is more based on a combo of clutch feel, throttle sensitivity, and shifter engagement. But 'it's the Indian, not the arrow,' and just my personal observation. And it's loud as sh!t. Radio is subpar. Gas mileage is poor for a smaller displacement engine. Seats can be uncomfortable, as there is no lumbar support.

It's a fun car, but I don't love it. I've always been partial to Hondas. Ultimately, none of us can talk you into buying, or not buying, something. But I hope our experiences can give you some insight, as test drives are not enough evidence to make any sort of prediction on long term ownership.

Best of luck!

shakeb0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Tesla Model S, 11 Honda Insight
With all of the dealership shenanigans surrounding the Type R I am having second thoughts about getting one and may just order a 2018 WRX STI.

I think it looks more refined

It's all wheel drive and the interior isn't in your face so much

A couple things that bother me -
  • Yellow Brembos
  • NO fog lights

If I’m going to pay $42k – $45k for a Type R I might as well just get the STI and save myself $5k
Totally understand and definitely do what makes you happy. :) Also note, Subaru just released information on the STI Type RA coming early next year. Only 500 limited for production. I called a few dealerships to get my name on the list early and they were very friendly.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-nbr-gets-carbon-fiber-how-much-extra-hp

Honda Civic 10th gen Talk me out of Buying a 2018 WRX STI upload_2017-6-10_6-21-17

Apexial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si
Or wait until the 2018 CTR comes out. It's expected to have a much higher production rate, but I'd still check in with dealerships and try to get a refundable deposit down at MSRP as early as possible.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
you should never pay ADM or even MSRP for any car, period, unless you got the ford gt then its okay since it will appreciate in value the moment you drive of the lot.

I remember when the boss 302 came out ( 'limited' run car just like the type R), people paid thousands over MSRP, not even a few years later the values tanked there were lawsuits against ford (none conclusive)

Honda did not specifically announce how limited the type-R will be (this is a bad sign from the start), the market is so saturated in this segment, like it or not focus rs/sti/wrx/golf R will all be cross shopped sooner or later.

the focus RS is a 'limited run' and was hyped just as much if not more than CTR - look at the new prices now, many dealer are selling bellow MSRP, a quick search on any major site you can find focusRS @ 35k all day long.

If you are a huge honda fan boy (like I used to be), and don't care about being 'first' - wait till they start hitting reasonable prices and pick one up for invoice.
Sponsored