Taking car in for warranty work - what do I need to do to my kTuner?

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Taking my car in for AC warranty work. I want to take the kTuner out. Do I just reflash to factory or do I need to unlock the unit?

thanks!!
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You can just remove the unit from the car and leave it tuned, they're not gonna be messing with the ECU for that. But put it back to stock if you're more comfortable.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can just remove the unit from the car and leave it tuned, they're not gonna be messing with the ECU for that. But put it back to stock if you're more comfortable.
thanks. So just flash back to stock? I don’t want to take the chance if they for some reason check the ECU or apply updates.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I keep my car tuned for unrelated dealer visits. If you want to be extra cautious, put it back to factory and unlock it from your car.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I keep my car tuned for unrelated dealer visits. If you want to be extra cautious, put it back to factory and unlock it from your car.
I put it back to factory. I wasn’t going to unlock it. Is that necessary?

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would just flash back to stock tune and go in. I wouldn’t go through the process of unlocking it though, seems a little over kill to me. Just do what you feel comfortable with, ktuner and Hondata make it so easy to flash between tunes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put it back to factory. I wasn’t going to unlock it. Is that necessary?
No absolutely not but you seemed nervous about being tuned and that would be an extra step for peace of mind. Like I said, I just leave it tuned.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Well I do the same when I do my oil change or other stuff I just remove the ktuner from the car and set it to map 1 . I'm FBO except intercooler. Never had problem with my dealer. Only remove it and flash it to stock when you have an big problem and want the warranty. For AC they will not look the computer.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I do the same when I do my oil change or other stuff I just remove the ktuner from the car and set it to map 1 . I'm FBO except intercooler. Never had problem with my dealer. Only remove it when you have an big problem on warranty. For AC they will not look the computer.
Yep. The first time I took my car to the dealer I went factory. Since then I just bring it in on Map 1 and put Econ on.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Yep. The first time I took my car to the dealer I went factory. Since then I just bring it in on Map 1 and put Econ on.
My tech adviser tell me when to flash it back to stock when needed . I have an pretty good service there and they like me because I do all there so they take care of me.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good thing I switched back to stock! They did an update on my ECU for the oil dilution Recall without asking me!!

it was the condenser which is under warranty but they didn’t have it in stock.
Sponsored