Taking a modded civic to the dealership

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Is it even worth it? I modded my 2017 civic with a prl cobra CAI and the tsp stage 1 tune. Ive recently been hearing a noise in the engine bay I haven't heard before when it was brand new. Also, Im pretty sure my clutch is starting to slip and there's been two recalls for the a/c and oil dilution that I haven't yet took my car to check into. I would definitely be Flashing the car back to stock, but all my car buddies tell me that even with just the intake mod, it's best to go to a private mechanic. What do yall suggest I do? Do any of you have any experience with taking your modded civic to the dealership ?
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The recalls you should be fine, the clutch slipping could go either way, even if it wasn't modded. The CAI shouldn't be an issue either unless they claim it's messing up the engine somehow.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Well, I would flash it back to stock (drive it for a week) and if the CAI is not throwing any codes, I would leave it. If it's easy to swap back the stock intake, that would probably be better. If they update you for the oil dilution issue, make sure when you flash back you have the latest Ktuner software installed and update the Ktuner firmware first before flashing back to TSP Stage 1

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I've been to many dealers with a CAI with multiple brands and the dealer never said a word.
Usually with CAIs or a exhaust mod you're fine......I say "usually" nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes.....especially if you're a Democrat!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've been to many dealers with a CAI with multiple brands and the dealer never said a word.
Usually with CAIs or a exhaust mod you're fine......I say "usually" nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes.....especially if you're a Democrat!
Democrats, Republicans, they are all evil warmongers, full of BS, and all serve evil masters, just different ones. None of them give a s**t about you or me, only their corporate interests.

Yeah I agree, they probably won't care about the CAI

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Aftermarket hardware should be replaced back to OEM if you are going for possible engine work. If they have to take out part your intake and end up stripping screws, losing screws, or damaging it, they cannot replace it.

It's a huge liability for dealerships to work with parts they cannot replace.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a terrible experience at dealer last week. They're all different but you shouldn't let your guard down.
Unless you have been analyzing your oil and don't mind an up-hill battle, should you need warranty service, you're going to need the dilution update installed or Honda can decline related repairs attributed to dilution problems. I went and got it done despite having lab analysis going back since second change because it was obvious the "one size fits all" threat of warranty voidance they've been sending out isn't open to an easy waiver. I was concerned about AC and engine wear from the dilution update(s) but they just extended the compressor warranty to 10yr for me and many others. No performance deficits from the sw either AFAIK.
Return your car to stock before going if you want.... That week suggestion is out of left field. If they ask anything just tell them you checked the air filter and always disconnect the battery clamp when working near there. And ask them if the feel like it's not your car is something you heard someone talk about, "learning." They love explaining things and it will solidify the view that you are a threatless noob.
If whichever place you're taking it to is doing a deep read of your ECU that isn't required to the software updates you're boned regardless. Don't accept bullying and realize dealer techs have a tendency to say whatever to get you to go with what they want. They also don't listen, and your car on the lift for warranty work is viewed as losing them money. Whenever you place your signature on a document you accept the content so be careful and read what you are signing to- they could say the noise is a non issue but could be related to your aftermarket parts. Don't sign anything remotely close. Say the sound is an early indication of failure and they don't pick up on that... When the failure occurs they will pull up your file can tell you to go-fish because back when the part was just making a noise the techs and you all agreed your mod was the cause. See how that could screw you over big? Being tricked into voiding your own warranty is the real risk, not some dealership boogie-man power to see an aftermarket part and just make your warranty voided. They'll bully you into allowing it to happen. If they blame stuff on your parts just keep saying "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Violation" louder and louder like you are calling for an adult to help.
Don't mention your clutch or anything about tuning. As far as you are concerned, tuning is what radios and forks do. If you're killing your clutch with the tune, replace it somewhere else.
Sponsored