Tail Light Paint Peeling

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hello all, I've had my 2016 EX for about 4 months now and have noticed that there seems to be paint peeling where the tail lights meet the body at a point. I've attached some images of this so you can see what I'm referring to. I will likely be taking this to the dealer to have to fixed before it gets any worse, but I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this or know what would have caused it. The only explanation for this I can come up with is the tail light rubbing against the paint over bumps, but I don't know how reasonable this is.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tail Light Paint Peeling {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen Tail Light Paint Peeling 2gr7DeQ
Sponsored

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I think mine is less apparent, but I'd have to take another look.

If you don't already have a Honda paint stick/pen, go to your dealer, show him/her the issue, and at least get one of two of the sticks...thats what Im gonna do with this issue..I'm not worried about it

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do the tail lights shake? It looks like they are rubbing on the body. Maybe they are somehow not snugged tight.

OP
OP
ryansommer

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Do the tail lights shake? It looks like they are rubbing on the body. Maybe they are somehow not snugged tight.
I haven't noticed a shake, but that was my first thought as well. Do you think I would hear it?

OP
OP
ryansommer

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have noticed that there is movement if you apply pressure. It doesn't seem like an abnormal amount, couldn't get the light to touch the paint by hand.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have noticed that there is movement if you apply pressure. It doesn't seem like an abnormal amount, couldn't get the light to touch the paint by hand.
That's weird then.

If the tail light had play in it, I don't think you'd hear it. I was only saying if the tail light felt loose, the rattle might cause contact. If you can't make it touch the body by applying light force, I would rule out contact abrasion.

OP
OP
ryansommer

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
That's weird then.

If the tail light had play in it, I don't think you'd hear it. I was only saying if the tail light felt loose, the rattle might cause contact. If you can't make it touch the body by applying light force, I would rule out contact abrasion.
Strange, it appears very much like contact abrasion, I don't know what else would cause that. I'm going to contact the dealership today.

Scott50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Coupe MSM
Country flag
Hello all, I've had my 2016 EX for about 4 months now and have noticed that there seems to be paint peeling where the tail lights meet the body at a point. I've attached some images of this so you can see what I'm referring to. I will likely be taking this to the dealer to have to fixed before it gets any worse, but I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this or know what would have caused it. The only explanation for this I can come up with is the tail light rubbing against the paint over bumps, but I don't know how reasonable this is.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Deffinately take it in. Fixing it yourself will never get the problem identified to the manufacturer. Most likely you will need a spacer placed in behind the light. The corollas ( and I think the previous civic) had a spacer for one or two years.
Sponsored