Switching from an Audi

JNK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
So went for the test drive today on the Civic. And let's just say I really love the car. But let's also just say I had an absolutely horrendous experience with the salesman. Wasn't friendly at all and was not happy when I didn't want to talk trade yet. Trying to finagle a deal OTD for the Touring for 26000, maybe 25 something if possible and then to put in the CRV which my fiancee loved for about 28300. They wouldn't budge off of their 27437 for the Touring and 31147 for the CRV. I gave them my numbers and he kept saying "oh well if i do those numbers today will you walk out today with them?" So clearly he would've moved but they were just not helpful. All that without even getting to the trade of the Audi. Quite shady if I must say. Ugh. Are those numbers I have unrealistic OTD? Their numbers seem quite high compared to what I've seen some other places, but not sure.
Best resource for this is truecar. They have very good estimates for invoice and such for a given area (at least around here) and can tell you what the dealer's actual cost is on the vehicle so you know how much they can come down. A lot of times the dealers will also give you a lower price on the car if you finance with them since they make up the difference on interest. The last two cars we bought (2015 Passat and 2016 CivicX) we also did the email method, where you find a specific car you want in a specific trim/color and just email a bunch of dealerships and play them off each other to get the price down.

This method is very easy because you don't have to lie or be pressured in person. You can copy/paste the offer from Dealer A and send it to Dealer B without needing to elaborate much more. We got my Civic for a few hundred under invoice and my wife's Passat for a few hundred over this way.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
So I got quotes from a dealer in NJ for about 27000 OTD on the Touring. Is this really the best these places can do? I supposes bringing them down shouldn't be too difficult, but they've given me the best number so far on the Touring. Of course the fine print says the quote includes the 500 military rebate in it, so since I don't qualify for that, I'm not sure what the quote would actually be when it's all said and done. I'm going to go the mass email route tomorrow since we've both test driven the Civic and CRV and love them. Back to my original reason for starting this thread for a bit lol, was that the steering seemed muuuuch tighter in the Civic than my A5. I supposed that's a German thing though, since I wouldn't expect it to be as loose. Anyone else have comparisons on the steering? Also seemingly the steering loosened a bit when I switched it into sport mode during the test drive.

Starting to think the numbers just aren't going to work unless someone is willing to work with me on some things. Also is it anyone's experience that having to find a vehicle on another lot or order one is really much more expensive? That's the impression I got from the dealer today.

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
Depending on your Tax rate, OTD is going to cost you
So I got quotes from a dealer in NJ for about 27000 OTD on the Touring. Is this really the best these places can do? I supposes bringing them down shouldn't be too difficult, but they've given me the best number so far on the Touring. Of course the fine print says the quote includes the 500 military rebate in it, so since I don't qualify for that, I'm not sure what the quote would actually be when it's all said and done. I'm going to go the mass email route tomorrow since we've both test driven the Civic and CRV and love them. Back to my original reason for starting this thread for a bit lol, was that the steering seemed muuuuch tighter in the Civic than my A5. I supposed that's a German thing though, since I wouldn't expect it to be as loose. Anyone else have comparisons on the steering? Also seemingly the steering loosened a bit when I switched it into sport mode during the test drive.

Starting to think the numbers just aren't going to work unless someone is willing to work with me on some things. Also is it anyone's experience that having to find a vehicle on another lot or order one is really much more expensive? That's the impression I got from the dealer today.
Yes a car can be more expensive from another dealership but it should not be much. Your touring, OTD, is going to fall into that 27-28k range. This will depend on interest rate, taxes, and dmv fees. But the car itself will sell around 25.5-26k. I am unsure about the CRV, and that is where true car will help. You can certainly get a dealership to come down a little from a TrueCar a price but I noticed it is not by much.

Dealers can sell a car below invoice for several factors. Usually it is through incentives, dealer cash, rebates, and sometimes to hit a sales bonus. From my research I have not found any of these to be the case with the Civic so it may be difficult to get the OTD price for the touring below 27k.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers can sell a car below invoice for several factors. Usually it is through incentives, dealer cash, rebates, and sometimes to hit a sales bonus. From my research I have not found any of these to be the case with the Civic so it may be difficult to get the OTD price for the touring below 27k.
Yeah I'm starting to think that with a 6% tax here in PA, this deal is simply not doable. Which is sort of a shame. The Touring was really nice, not sure how it'd be if I went down a trim level though. I suppose I could settle for less. The tax really is the killer I'm starting to see.

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
Yeah I'm starting to think that with a 6% tax here in PA, this deal is simply not doable. Which is sort of a shame. The Touring was really nice, not sure how it'd be if I went down a trim level though. I suppose I could settle for less. The tax really is the killer I'm starting to see.
If you go down a trim level your passing up that luxury feel and look. The Touring is just a better value than the EX-L, so if you are going to step down it would be more economical to go with the EXT. I have the EXT and coming from a Lexus ES, it does not compare to the Luxury feel. It was also not what I was looking for this time around. I have a less than stellar driving record and insurance is already costing me about 2,800/year. Its costing me 465/m as it is to drive a civic lol. I capped myself at 500/m and the EXT was the nicest car at that price point.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go down a trim level your passing up that luxury feel and look. The Touring is just a better value than the EX-L, so if you are going to step down it would be more economical to go with the EXT. I have the EXT and coming from a Lexus ES, it does not compare to the Luxury feel. It was also not what I was looking for this time around. I have a less than stellar driving record and insurance is already costing me about 2,800/year. Its costing me 465/m as it is to drive a civic lol. I capped myself at 500/m and the EXT was the nicest car at that price point.
Yeah it's going to be hard to step down to that, especially since they're so close in price range anyway. Plus I love the look of the Touring. I think I can get a couple places closer to the low end of the 27000 range so it'll all depend on what they'll pay for the Audi. That's my biggest fear at this point. Not easy negiotiating that for sure.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after getting the awful test drive taste out of my mouth from the last dealer I've decided that the closest dealer to me is the next best option. We've worked out some better numbers to try and make the Touring and the CRV work for us. Wish the dealer had a touring in stock but they said they'd be willing to get one at no extra cost to me. (we'll see about that when I actually walk in this week). I saw my first Touring in the wild today and it looked amazing. So as long as they do enough for me with the trade in I think I can make this work after all. Still quite nervous about the whole trade portion of it, but we shall see. I got tired of going through 10 dealers trying to get numbers that were similar anyway. I figure I'll go in and be honest at this point and if they can make the numbers work for me, they have a deal lol. Wonder why it's been a week though since they've gotten a Touring in stock. Are they really that rare?

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
27 k for a touring isn't so bad, here in Canada, you can be looking at 30+ k before taxes and fees which came out at 33 k, canadian dollars really suck.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
So after getting the awful test drive taste out of my mouth from the last dealer I've decided that the closest dealer to me is the next best option. We've worked out some better numbers to try and make the Touring and the CRV work for us. Wish the dealer had a touring in stock but they said they'd be willing to get one at no extra cost to me. (we'll see about that when I actually walk in this week). I saw my first Touring in the wild today and it looked amazing. So as long as they do enough for me with the trade in I think I can make this work after all. Still quite nervous about the whole trade portion of it, but we shall see. I got tired of going through 10 dealers trying to get numbers that were similar anyway. I figure I'll go in and be honest at this point and if they can make the numbers work for me, they have a deal lol. Wonder why it's been a week though since they've gotten a Touring in stock. Are they really that rare?
Are you close to NJ? There a lot of dealers over here willing to move cars... I'm getting a touring model for under 25k before all dealers fees ect. The price includes destination. Also got 1300 for a 2002 civic that was in a accident and pretty beat up inside and out.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you close to NJ? There a lot of dealers over here willing to move cars... I'm getting a touring model for under 25k before all dealers fees ect. The price includes destination. Also got 1300 for a 2002 civic that was in a accident and pretty beat up inside and out.
Yeah I'm right on the border. Seems like the NJ dealers I've looked at has had pretty good stock. All of them are about an hour drive for me though, but that's not too bad. Any idea if you think I'd get more for a trade in over there too? I've heard some people say I may have a better chance with that.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I was able to pull off the deal last night. Got enough on the trade, and my fiancée ended up in a CRV. I have the VIN number for my Touring, in Cosmic Blue. They just so happened to be getting one in (they said by the end of the month). So now I just have to wait a bit. Somehow made the numbers work, and ended up with 25900 OTD on it.

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
So I was able to pull off the deal last night. Got enough on the trade, and my fiancée ended up in a CRV. I have the VIN number for my Touring, in Cosmic Blue. They just so happened to be getting one in (they said by the end of the month). So now I just have to wait a bit. Somehow made the numbers work, and ended up with 25900 OTD on it.
That's awesome. Glad you were able to get everything to work out.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Congrats!! Hope you'll post some pix when it comes in. Good choices.

OP
OP

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats!! Hope you'll post some pix when it comes in. Good choices.
Will do absolutely. Wish there was a way to track the VIN before delivery lol. Dealer told me 3 weeks. Good thing is I won't get screwed on the extended warranty (since I already did for the fiancee's CRV). I think I may just go with the 3rd party Honda Care. Got sold something different, but it seems like they hit us on the price of the CRV with that since I ended up making out so well on the Civic in the end.

appleface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic, vw passat
I just have to speak up for the EX-L. Did you test drive it? I love it!!!! But i've never owned a luxury car. Only ridden in one. So can't realy compare.
Sponsored