Switch Between Modes vs Sport Mode Always

Do you switch between modes often? Or do you just leave it in sport 24/7?

• Total voters

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
When I bought my Si, I checked out the difference between the regular and "Sport mode" and I wasn't impressed. The main difference I could feel was stiffer steering, and a little more throttle aggressiveness. So I used normal mode almost exclusively for the first 15,000, miles. Around 15.000 miles the throttle aggressiveness became more noticeable, and I had become more use to the stiffer than my last car steering. So I started using it more.

Now at 37,000 miles I realize that "Sport Mode" is the way that the car was designed to be driven. There are times that I prefer a softer ride and use "normal" mode, but for the rest of the time I put it into "Sport Mode". The more miles I put on the car, the more I find the throttle sluggishness of "normal mode" aggravating.

I suppose I could put "a tune" in the car, but I'm not going to do anything to it until the factory 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty is up. My plan is to keep this car well over 200,000 miles, and I want to keep the costs down.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Same, I couldn't feel any difference but the steering at first. Now 6 months in the differences in throttle and suspension are very noticeable. My GF always makes me take it off. Says its too bumpy in Sport lol.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Always in sport mode.

Vcheetah

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Usually normal, but when at a light and that person next to you starts inching forward, and you wanna get in line for that starbucks before them at 6 am in the morning... SPORT MODE ON. Doubt it makes a huge difference, but I like to think it does :]]]]

Tugar

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I leave it in sport mode while driving around town to make it easier to get through all the stop and go's of the side streets. I only really take it out of sport when I'm doing casual driving and trying to save gas.

TheCarpooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring. 24,144th Touring Sedan out of the Indiana plant in 2016.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run Normal w/o Eco, I feel like the power and response is good, and it doesn't impact gas mileage too much.

I use Sport when I'm pissed off in traffic and start getting twitchy. :)

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Really? How please.
It is in the settings somewhere. I can look at it when I get home from work and give you a better answer.

But just so you know I'm not completely full of it (from Hondata FlashPRO version update journal):

V2.7.5 (23 June 2017)

• FlashPro firmware updated to version 116
• Fixed datalogging in the first 20 seconds after engine start up for older FlashPros.
• [2017 Civic Si] Added parameter that allows car to start in sport mode, adjustable launch control, and cruise control lambda display.

Biff B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Almost always in Sport -- I hit it right after I release the e-brake when starting to drive; it's a fairly well-established routine now. Wish it would "remember"/retain its status between the car starts, instead of always defaulting to Normal...
The "hey-I'm-alive-and-can-accelerate-when-asked!" throttle mapping is the most obvious reason, but the changes in steering feedback and suspension are definitely noticeable as well (especially the steering).
I agree with this statement. It would be nice if we could alternate what settings we want as the throttle needs to stay on Sport ALWAYS. That was one of the nice things about the GTI. Even when driving to work in the morning people drive like maniacs. They are all over my bumper if I drive normal and in ECO mode. I guess they see a sporty car and expect you to drive full on all the time. Breaking in the car sucked! :)

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Really? How please.
If you have Hondata Flashpro, pull up your tune then go to "Calibration" ->Scroll to and select "Misc" -> 4th click box down says "Enable Sport mode on Start Up"

Make sure your flashpro is updated too.

Mike Tonge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring in Burgundy Night Pearl. 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I deliberately waited until I had put 1000miles on mine before hitting the sport button. It was like waiting for my birthday to arrive. It was such a good time when I finally hit that 1k mark and entered into the realms of sport mode. Something about that wait time makes me appreciate the difference every time that sport button is pressed.i love this car.
Mike

elijahw

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sport mode makes a huge difference when driving aggressively through twisty corners, I love that. But like others said, with bumpy roads on a casual drive Sport is usually a no go. However I have noticed that the increased throttle response makes driving in town with a bunch of red lights much easier. :drive:
Sponsored