swift spring noise

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Nope. I took off the axle on the side it was making a noise & popped it back in still hearing it. Doubled check the bolts / nuts from the suspension everything is tight. My guess is either the rotor / brakes? Haven't had the time to take it to someone but i put some pressure on the car it drives fine tbh.

Just got it back from the dealer, I have a VANTRUE N2 PRO dash cam that shows the interior cabin + front facing camera.

Car gets driven normally around the block, brought into the shop, they didn't even lift the vehicle, I can see the guy go to the back drivers side wheel with a flash light then says "lack of service". Next video shows him getting in, pushes the clutch pedal 2-3 times and says "I don't know what they're smoking" and closes the door.

Then even worse, they ran it through their automatic car wash, which I never authorized to begin with.

Dealer now wants to charge me $600 CAD all in for machining the rotors + servicing the brakes.

Manager states "Anyone can clear a maintenance minder code, you denied the service last time because no code was showing yet".

My response was "I have followed what the manual of the car states, which is to service the car by what the maintenance minder states, and all of my service has been done here. Why the hell would I skip a service now".

He responded with "I'll email honda (canada) and see if they can pay the cost of machining the rotors but you'll have to pay for the brake service".

I said that is fine, I'll service the brakes when the maintenance minder comes up, not before or long after.
Sponsored

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is this the sound you're hearing?

Look @ my post above, this was their reasoning for the sound I was hearing which is literally the exact same as yours.

Unless I know nothing about cars, why the hell would the rotors and brakes be making that sound when turning the wheel, stopped or not.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just got it back from the dealer, I have a VANTRUE N2 PRO dash cam that shows the interior cabin + front facing camera.

Car gets driven normally around the block, brought into the shop, they didn't even lift the vehicle, I can see the guy go to the back drivers side wheel with a flash light then says "lack of service". Next video shows him getting in, pushes the clutch pedal 2-3 times and says "I don't know what they're smoking" and closes the door.

Then even worse, they ran it through their automatic car wash, which I never authorized to begin with.

Dealer now wants to charge me $600 CAD all in for machining the rotors + servicing the brakes.

Manager states "Anyone can clear a maintenance minder code, you denied the service last time because no code was showing yet".

My response was "I have followed what the manual of the car states, which is to service the car by what the maintenance minder states, and all of my service has been done here. Why the hell would I skip a service now".

He responded with "I'll email honda (canada) and see if they can pay the cost of machining the rotors but you'll have to pay for the brake service".

I said that is fine, I'll service the brakes when the maintenance minder comes up, not before or long after.
The rotors OR brakes are definitely the problem. Glad you defended yourself at the dealer. 95% of techs are excuse my language.... Full of retards. That was no propper way of an inspection.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The rotors OR brakes are definitely the problem. Glad you defended yourself at the dealer. 95% of techs are excuse my language.... Full of retards. That was no propper way of an inspection.
Does it not seem somewhat sketchy that this magically happened literally the second after I had them do the brake fluid flush service?

The rear rotors look iffy, the front ones look fine.

Sorry but at 40,000km and serviced once already I refuse to believe that this is caused by a "lack of service"

I have had several vehicles in the last, 2 of which were also purchased new and not once was I ever told I had to "service the brakes" either every 20,000km or every other service.

I'm going to stand my ground and state that I'm following what Honda states in the manual, which is to follow the maintenance minder.

Unless I'm an idiot and know nothing about cars, how would turning the wheel, replicating the rubbing noise have anything to do with the brakes and rotors?

When I think of brake and rotor issues I think of a screeching sound, not a rubbing sound.

Can they really be inspected with a 3 second look with a flashlight, saying "lack of service" and its my fault? I follow my maintenance minder religiously, while the dealer states "you could just have reset it yourself", while true, my service history says otherwise.

The worse looking rotor is the rear driver's side, same on the other side, not as bad is my fronts

Honda Civic 10th gen swift spring noise IMG_20190621_194936

Honda Civic 10th gen swift spring noise IMG_20190621_194927

Honestly, I like my car, and Ive had 2 Civics before 2000 and 2010.

After I'm done with this car, I will probably never buy a Honda ever again. The quality simply isn't how it used to be and there's so much better out there for the same amount of money.

The interior is by far the worst I've ever had, scratches so easily, rattles everywhere, etc

Last edited:

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I finally found a solution for my spring bind. i followed this thread https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...hard-turns-theories-on-why-how-to-fix-(PSS10)
The stacked coils(pic below with red marks) twist and rub with each other with too much friction in between then it'll release tension causing it to make deep creaky and thug noises when steering is being turned. Temporarily, I put a rubber tape in between the stacked coils and i lubed it. the noises are gone but how long will this last before the coils destroys the rubber tape and the lube dries out.
Honda Civic 10th gen swift spring noise Inked20190605_171411_LI

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
I have that noise too, noticeable on very low speed turns. I remember i had a much louder noise in my old civic eg sedan when i lowered it using tanabe springs, a mechanic inserted the first 2 loops of the top and bottom of springs into a garden hose. It totally eliminated the noise.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those lower coils are supposed to compress fully and touch each other.You need to install some spring Coil insulators that insulate the coils.I believe the OEM springs have them on so you could transfer those.You can also buy them aftermarket
For example https://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_insulator.html

Last edited:

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look @ my post above, this was their reasoning for the sound I was hearing which is literally the exact same as yours.

Unless I know nothing about cars, why the hell would the rotors and brakes be making that sound when turning the wheel, stopped or not.
mine has the same fucking noise! what is it

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i did. noise is still there. i put one on to try in the front and didn't work. idk if the whole spring needs covered or what
It depends how much coils are touching but i asume there are at least 3 that touch. So 2 insulators for each spring. Or for the front springs 1 should be enough if it is in de center of the 3 springs offcourse.
Where did you put the insulator?
Sponsored

Last edited: