Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Finished up the car installing the swift spec r springs. Lowered the car and impacted the passenger side top mount nut to the strut. Everything went fine and I torqued it down to spec. Now to the drivers side, I impacted it tight and it spins with the strut thread. When I impact it down, the impact will stop. But when I torque it with a wrench, it spins. Keep in mind I wasn’t using the best impact but it was for sure enough because it did one side. I tried getting a go thru kit to use an Allen key to keep the strut in place when I tighten it. But the bolt is maxed out. Same amount of threading on both sides, but the drivers side just keeps spinning with the shock when I try to use a torque wrench as I did on the other side once the car is dropped.I looked at every single forum and nothing solves my issue, everyone says the strut bolt should torque without the strut spinning once the car is dropped - **bought a go thru kit, also tried RE impacting it - nothing. Same amount of threads on both sides but one shock is spinning with the strut bolt and one isn’t. Nut is tight as an MFr to the shock, but they still spin together when I try to torque. It doesnt just spin easily it’s just when I try to give it a lot of torque with the torque wrench it will spin together with the shock. I was using a dewault torque drill. Do I need a big baller Milwaukee? I would assume the one I was using is fine because it did the other side no problem??

Update: redid the install entirely! Impacted the strut bolt to the strut with a better impact and it didn’t spin with the strut. But when I went to torque it the nut still spins with the strut. There is also a minor clunk Im assuming from this, but Car drives solid as hell I did some major checks no wobbles nothing. Wierd. Well see. Maybe my strut is broken

Thankyou for getting this far :/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Robdog2232

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic SI,' 17 Dodge Durango R/T, '06 Chevy Avalanche
Country flag
Watching, as I would like to throw some lowering springs on mine

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
It’s supposed to spin. I’d be worried about the one that doesn’t.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Sounds like youre trying to achieve a torque thats too tight maybe. What is the setting on the torque wrench?

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've ALWAYS torqued these with a pass thru ratchet and hex key before they ever went on the car. Those nuts typically don't require much in the way of torque either.

Like @Ducota said, I'd be way more worried about the one that isn't spinning, as it sounds like you may have damaged that particular shock.

Edit, you also shouldn't be using an impact for this job. The spinning of the shock rod can cause damage to the seals inside.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
You shouldn't use an impact on this. You run the risk of burning up the seals in the shock or chewing the top mount rubber to bits.

Is the nut tight when using an allen key to secure the strut?

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve heard the opposite. On another thread some guy with the same springs had the same issue. Obviously the strut should spin. But what’s happening is the top strut bolt won’t torque (47 pound ft) also not using a hardcore impact. It’s more of a drill. Every YouTube video I watched they used an impact to get that nut tight, than they torqued it.

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like youre trying to achieve a torque thats too tight maybe. What is the setting on the torque wrench?
I believe I was doing 47 whatever the video was telling me to do (“installing lowering springs with no sound” - YouTube video)

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've ALWAYS torqued these with a pass thru ratchet and hex key before they ever went on the car. Those nuts typically don't require much in the way of torque either.

Like @Ducota said, I'd be way more worried about the one that isn't spinning, as it sounds like you may have damaged that particular shock.

Edit, you also shouldn't be using an impact for this job. The spinning of the shock rod can cause damage to the seals inside.
A light impact is the only way to get that top strut bolt tight, because the strut spins like it’s supposed to. So you need a quick tightening to get past the strut spinning. I’ve seen everyone do this. Using an electric sub impact
Too not any crazy air impact.

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
everything I’ve read says that once you tighten down the top strut bolt when you lower the car to the ground, it says that the strut bolt shouldn’t spin with the strut once lowered.

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s supposed to spin when it’s off the car. But when everything is lowered - I’ve heard that the strut shouldn’t spin with the strut bolt. It should torque down on both sides. I’m aware a strut spins when it’s off the car haha.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
A light impact is the only way to get that top strut bolt tight, because the strut spins like it’s supposed to. So you need a quick tightening to get past the strut spinning. I’ve seen everyone do this. Using an electric sub impact
technically, the correct way is to use a pass through ratchet to tighten the nut while holding the strut still with an allen

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
technically, the correct way is to use a pass through ratchet to tighten the nut while holding the strut still with an allen
I did this. And I had the same threading on both sides. However I saw another forum and got paranoid, because once they are both tightened - the drivers side strut and strut bolt won’t torque down and keep spinning together (even tho they are Godzilla tight with the go thru hex) it’s just wierd because the other side torqued to the strut without moving with it once tight. But even tho this nut is Godzilla tight to the strut, it still spins with it and I can’t get a torque reading. Same threads and no drivability issues. Wish me luck boys. Thankyou for the help.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
There's a reason they put a hex in that shock rod, and its got nothing to do with an impact. Unsubscribe to whatever YT channel you got your instructions from...

OP
OP
Mike2020si

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's a reason they put a hex in that shock rod, and its got nothing to do with an impact. Unsubscribe to whatever YT channel you got your instructions from...
Hate to say it man there’s tons of people who used this same method. I’m not the only “noob” but yeah will do. i used a dewault sub that was weak as balls. But it did the other side fine.
I’m going to attach a video to be more clear for you guys
Sponsored