Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You don't need them to change them out one set to another, but for rotation it makes it much easier when you rotate from the front corner to the rear opposite corner instead of using a 5th wheel so you put the car down and jack it up 100x lol
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree with the above, I think its not unusual that we neglect to use the jackstands pretty often. For sure most of the time I probably don't really bother to use it when I swap tires on my own cars. But any time I am planning to do any more extended amount of work with the corner in the air I'd at least stick the wheel under the car just as precaution. The best practice really should be jackstand.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
One jack stand will safely lift the side of the vehicle to rotate the back and front wheels:
Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky? NGxY1o

The load is stable. As a note of caution, I would not decide to do any type of work under the vehicle, like exhaust projects or other projects involving pulling on the frame, while it is in this configuration due to the imbalance weight distribution on the rear. This setup is strictly for side work.

These jack stands are rated at 6k pounds.

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
One jack stand will safely lift the side of the vehicle to rotate the back and front wheels:
NGxY1op.jpg

The load is stable. As a note of caution, I would not decide to do any type of work under the vehicle, like exhaust projects or other projects involving pulling on the frame, while it is in this configuration due to the imbalance weight distribution on the rear. This setup is strictly for side work.

These jack stands are rated at 6k pounds.
How dare you post such a good looking jack stand and not give us the model.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
I was serious. I go through 2-3 sets a tires a year, change wheels/tires 20-30x per year. I use a 3 ton jack (not one of those crappy 1.5 ton HF jacks which will fail) and always use jack stand when working under a car, and virtually always when changing tires even though I'm not under a car. With this frequency, I've got a strong understanding of what is safe. I can't say that per se for people who change tires at the side of the road using crappy sissor lift jacks but understand you have to use what you've got. I think sometimes, folks on forums make broad statements not fully thought out.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that. Much prettier than my 10 ton stands. FYI folks, there is a number of FB posts re: HF recall on their Pittsburgh stands.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Thats how stiff the type r is
There is no such car in existence that a jack at one wheel would not lift the whole side. Unless it's made of jello. I never changed a wheel on a bus, but I assume it would work the same way. If there was a car like this, you would damage the chassis every time you try to change a tire.....
Maybe people tend to believe you can lift only one wheel, because the suspension allows the other wheel on the same side to remain on the ground initially. But the chassis is rigid. As you keep lifting, the whole side will ALWAYS lift. Of course it's better to lift the end where the engine is.

Btw. changing a wheel or all wheels one by one only requires lifting the wheel barely off the ground. If you want to change the other wheel on the same side, especially when the suspension is softer, you may need to lift a bit higher for the other wheel.

For tire rotation (actually it's wheel rotation) in a cross pattern I prefer to lift the whole car up insted of running around and jacking up and down.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hahaha - these are the Safejack Rennstand model. You place the adapter (grey part) on the jack’s saddle, then lift the vehicle. Once it is at a preferred height, you attach the legs by securing them with pins to the grey adapter. Then, you roll the jack away.

These jacks are very handy, and fit inside a canvas tool bag.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Hahaha - these are the Safejack Rennstand model. You place the adapter (grey part) on the jack’s saddle, then lift the vehicle. Once it is at a preferred height, you attach the legs by securing them with pins to the grey adapter. Then, you roll the jack away.

These jacks are very handy, and fit inside a canvas tool bag.
I had no idea these were a thing. I've been messing with multiple jacks, Rhino ramps, and slabs of 2x4's if i ever wanted to work under my car.

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There is no such car in existence that a jack at one wheel would not lift the whole side. Unless it's made of jello. I never changed a wheel on a bus, but I assume it would work the same way. If there was a car like this, you would damage the chassis every time you try to change a tire.....
Maybe people tend to believe you can lift only one wheel, because the suspension allows the other wheel on the same side to remain on the ground initially. But the chassis is rigid. As you keep lifting, the whole side will ALWAYS lift. Of course it's better to lift the end where the engine is.

Btw. changing a wheel or all wheels one by one only requires lifting the wheel barely off the ground. If you want to change the other wheel on the same side, especially when the suspension is softer, you may need to lift a bit higher for the other wheel.

For tire rotation (actually it's wheel rotation) in a cross pattern I prefer to lift the whole car up insted of running around and jacking up and down.
Wait how are you rotating wheels in a cross pattern??? Tires are directional

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Wait how are you rotating wheels in a cross pattern??? Tires are directional
How come you see your car as white? Cars are red. :p

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How come you see your car as white? Cars are red. :p
I just don’t know any performance tires that aren’t directional. Just trying to help in case you are putting directional tires on the car backwards.
Sponsored