Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky?

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I currently have 19" Motegi wheels on my Type R with all-season Conti's. I want to put my OEM wheels back on my car for the summer. The OEM Conti's still have some decent tread left (5/32 to 6/32) and I was wondering is it possible to do it myself with just one jack? The car chassis is so stiff that the whole side of the car will lift off the ground just using a jack on either the front or rear jack point. That way I could easily change both the front and rear wheels just using one jack point. Any concerns with doing it that way?
Sponsored

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I just lift from the side jacking point behind the front wheel. You must have a low profile jack to clear the sideskirts. Lifts the whole side of the car. Change two wheels at time. Make sure to torque the lugs to 94 ft lbs.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just lift from the side jacking point behind the front wheel. You must have a low profile jack to clear the sideskirts. Lifts the whole side of the car. Change two wheels at time. Make sure to torque the lugs to 94 ft lbs.
This. The chassis is stiff enough to lift the car evenly from one jack point.

Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky? IMG_20190521_163956

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Standard harbor freight jack works as well.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
possible......yes

recommended......no

safe......no
What are you talking about? Of course it is recommended for you to be able to jack a side of the car up with a single jack. It's done all the time and reason why NO auto manufacturer ever has included 2 jacks. Is it best practice to use a jack stand under the rear jack pad, yes but it is clearly recommend and with a stand totally safe. I'll take it a step further, how would using two jacks make it safer?

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What are you talking about? Of course it is recommended for you to be able to jack a side of the car up with a single jack. It's done all the time and reason why NO auto manufacturer ever has included 2 jacks. Is it best practice to use a jack stand under the rear jack pad, yes but it is clearly recommend and with a stand totally safe. I'll take it a step further, how would using two jacks make it safer?
I would use a jack stand or at least put one wheel under it. I'm still paying for an old accident. I did to myself. I was working on the transfer case on Galant VR-4. Forgot something and went to recheck it. It slipped dropped on my face. Spllt my lip ,cracked my front tooth. 10 plus years later, I go to the dentist. Toothache he X Rays me and asks if I'm a boxer. I say no. He shows me the picture of it. Then he asks if I had an accident along time ago. Then I remember. Opps...
I did. Now, I have to get two tooth implants. Only 6000 dollars$$$.

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky? 1589849330861

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Hydraulic jack is meant to jack the car the up to give enough room for a jack stand. It’s not meant to hold your car up for a long period of time. I would put at least 1 jack stand In the rear in case the hydraulic jack fails.

Yeah, but tires shop leave customer’s car on hydraulic jack all the time. But for me, I would be better safe and sorry. I always have a back up in case something fails.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Manufacturer instructions for "changing a tire" include only one flimsy jack included with every car. Cars are not equipped with jack stands. And you do it out on the road with whatever conditions you find. They recommend putting a wheel under the car in case the jack fails. And, you are not supposed to put any part of your body under the car when changing a wheel. You don't need to. You only need jack stands for safety if you put jour body parts under the car.

That's how you replace wheels on the car and that's how millions of people including even a few ladies in high heels have done it. Just. One. Jack.

Except, changing the wheel not adjacent to the jack holding the car is not standard. I would move the jack to every wheel unless you verify it's stable at the other wheel.

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just put the car on 4 Jack stands when rotating tires. Also use that time to inspect brakes and clean out the front heat shields.

Thing that sucks though is you need 2 Jack's to lift it up by the front and center point that's behind the front wheels. Even with a low profile jack its still no where near close enough to reach. Jack up from one of the side points then slide the main Jack under. The rear is easy luckily.

Don't skimp out on safety and get some stands, they're cheap.

It sucks this car doesn't come with a jack or a spare tire. Gotta have a spare set of wheels lol. The only reason I'm still holding onto the stock chonkers