Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
How did jack stands enter this thread? You do not need to go under the car to change a tire! Do not go under the car! Just change the tire. No jack stand required.
The jack stand keeps the car up, and the exposed hub off the ground, if the jack fails.

If I change the wheels on my car myself, I'll use my floor jack on a side point, add a jack stand to the other point on the same side, and put chocks under the wheels still on the ground.

(I'd prefer to use the front or rear jack points under the car, but I still haven't been able to find them with my own eyes despite seeing pictures on here, and I don't think my floor jack will reach)
Sponsored

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
Like many previous comments said, I always use the jack + 2 jack stands (front and back), and try not to crawl underneath. I have done this swap at the race track many times and no issues at all. I was also surprised to see the whole side is lifted at my first attempt. Even my previous STi didn't do this. Cheers,

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just don’t know any performance tires that aren’t directional. Just trying to help in case you are putting directional tires on the car backwards.
I don't care whether you call my tires performance or lack thereof. All I know they are not directional. :yes: If you firmly believe otherwise, I would be receptive to a bet......if betting is allowed on this board, of course.:cool:

Kevindust

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I just don’t know any performance tires that aren’t directional. Just trying to help in case you are putting directional tires on the car backwards.
The Continental performance tires that come on the Type R aren't directional. The best all around performance tire on the market (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) aren't directional.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Continental SportContact 6 245/30ZR20 OEM tire is not directional.

However, the tire does have indicators on the sidewall showing Outside and Inside.

Therefore a front to back, or criss-cross wheel rotation on a Type R with this tire works, because either method results in the Outside marking oriented properly. I chose the front-to-back method because it’s easier.

Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping Out Wheels Using One Jack - Possible or Risky? g9xP5dT

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Model numbers are 56371, 61196 and 61197 - Thanks Roadshow
I used a pair of these 61196 3 ton jacks to rotate my tires last year. I also used another pair of Harbor Freight 3 ton jacks which are barely distinguishable, but have a different number, which is not under the recall.

There is a difference in the depth of the top teeth between the two pairs of about 1 mm - it's almost 5 mm on the recalled series and almost 6 mm on the other ones. It seems like the ones I have are still OK (they say only about 5% were in fact defective). If I got the bad ones I wouldn't likely have kept them. I examine and test everything of this sort very carefully and return if there is any issue.
I wish I could find something in a store that just feels better even for a reasonably higher price (not too crazy though; they are just chunks of iron and steel), but no such luck.

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't care whether you call my tires performance or lack thereof. All I know they are not directional. :yes: If you firmly believe otherwise, I would be receptive to a bet......if betting is allowed on this board, of course.:cool:
I’m not sure why you’re getting defensive. All I said was I was trying to help just in case you were putting directional tires on backwards hindering your performance. I’m not trying to put you down dude

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Continental performance tires that come on the Type R aren't directional. The best all around performance tire on the market (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) aren't directional.
I actually took the stock wheels off and put them in the garage within 200 miles and didn’t look at the tires much. Also never ran ps4s. Not here to argue about tires though just wanted to make sure he wasn’t running directional tires backwards since it can cause you to hydroplane in the rain. Just trying to look out for him.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m not sure why you’re getting defensive. All I said was I was trying to help just in case you were putting directional tires on backwards hindering your performance. I’m not trying to put you down dude
OK dude, I just couldn't believe anyone who is even a bit into cars could seriously think all tires were directional, and that's why I was a bit annoyed. I just keep forgetting there are many people on the forum who may have just bought their first car.
Peace.:) Thanks for good intentions.

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OK dude, I just couldn't believe anyone who is even a bit into cars could seriously think all tires were directional, and that's why I was a bit annoyed. I just keep forgetting there are many people on the forum who may have just bought their first car.
Peace.:) Thanks for good intentions.
Yeah I definitely could have worded that different since it would be quite hard to have used every single tire on the market. Just because the tires I use are directional doesn’t mean someone else’s are. I’ve just seen so many times over the years where kids don’t even know some tires are directional lol hell ive had a tire place put all the tires the same way before ? so yeah not a personal jab at all just trying to help others in the community who may not have known.

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
If you have a jack stand, I would use it. If not just be careful.
Sponsored