Swapping my MTF: GM Syncromesh?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Howdy all. I’ve been running Amsoil MTF for a few months now, and I haven’t been particularly impressed. I’ve heard some people say that they recommend GM Syncromesh instead, and I was wondering which version is appropriate for our car? I believe that there are regular and Friction Modified options.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Howdy all. I’ve been running Amsoil MTF for a few months now, and I haven’t been particularly impressed. I’ve heard some people say that they recommend GM Syncromesh instead, and I was wondering which version is appropriate for our car? I believe that there are regular and Friction Modified options.
Looks like Honda people prefer the FM version. Also sold as “AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified” on Amazon.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda...-1/gm-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-2666507/

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It MUST be the FM version. The regular, non-FM version is garbage.

Do not cheap out!!

It used to be called GMSMFM, but TypeSiR is right, it is now made by AC Delco. Same product. Just different label. I remember when GM dealerships had bottles of the old GMSMFM with just an AC Delco sticker over top of the GM logo, as they were switching over.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
If I were you I would stick with the Honda mtf. Just change it every 20k miles or so.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used both.. amsoil in my wife, and i have AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified in my ctr..AC Delco is same as GM Syncromesh.
It is awesome.. better than amsoil... and way better than honda OE tran oil..
if you have 2nd gear grind.. GM oil will help big time..

Please Dont go with regular though.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
In my S, I have tried GM stuff, Amsoil, and Honda MTF. I have tried blends of all of these.

Homies from LA swear by Gear X. I gave that a go for a bit.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I have the GM Syncromesh in my CTR, it is the friction modified version. My transmission with the CMC adjusted shifts like absolute butter. I recently added an Acuity full shifter and shift linkage bushings and I couldn't imagine it getting any better than this.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
This is the first I've read about people not liking AMS Oil Synchromesh.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is the first I've read about people not liking AMS Oil Synchromesh.
I've heard of countless people using GMSMFM over the years, in countless Honda platforms. But rarely hear much about Amsoil. I see the odd person use it from time to time, but it seems the GM formula is used WAY more often, with good results.

However, even in this thread alone, 2 members stated they like the GMSMFM better than Amsoil. The overwhelming general consensus is that GMSMFM is THE fluid to use in manual Honda transmissions.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I've heard of countless people using GMSMFM over the years, in countless Honda platforms. But rarely hear much about Amsoil. I see the odd person use it from time to time, but it seems the GM formula is used WAY more often, with good results.

However, even in this thread alone, 2 members stated they like the GMSMFM better than Amsoil. The overwhelming general consensus is that GMSMFM is THE fluid to use in manual Honda transmissions.
Hmmm....Can't say I've seen or heard of many people specifically running GMSMFM. I've known about it for a long time. I'm going to swap my fluid to the AMS Oil I already got. I'll see how it feels. If not good I'll swap to GMSMFM.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I've found Amsoil to be a bit stiffer/notchier than stock, so I'll be switching to the GM FM stuff this weekend. Hoping for positive stuff, but I've been pretty disappointed with this trans so far, so I'm not expecting much. My SI, even with the 2nd gear crunch, used to slide immediately into second when I shifted up from 1st. With my CTR, shifting at about 2K RPM causes me to hit a wall that, if I'm shifting at 4K RPM and up, can take almost a full second to clear. It sucks.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I've found Amsoil to be a bit stiffer/notchier than stock, so I'll be switching to the GM FM stuff this weekend. Hoping for positive stuff, but I've been pretty disappointed with this trans so far, so I'm not expecting much. My SI, even with the 2nd gear crunch, used to slide immediately into second when I shifted up from 1st. With my CTR, shifting at about 2K RPM causes me to hit a wall that, if I'm shifting at 4K RPM and up, can take almost a full second to clear. It sucks.
Let us know how it goes. I'm considering changing mine out at 30 or 40k.
Sponsored