HomerJ

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sedan Sport
Country flag
So I hate the location of the USB port that is compatible with Android Auto. I would very much prefer having it inside the center console where it's much easier to access, the phone is hidden, etc. Of course, the USB port inside the console is only to charge the phone.

I took a quick glance at the 2 connectors that leave the radio and go to the console and front panel. They are identical aside from the "key" slots in them that make sure you can only connect them in the right place.

What if I were to shave the "key" slots and swap both connectors? Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Before shaving it down, just check with an ohmeter that all 4 wires are connected on the one you want to use for Android Auto.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
just use AAwireless and get rid of connecting a phone. :p

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Which trim is your civic? My phone can connect to the secondary port and CarPlay still connects surprisingly. The manual says only the front port connects but the center console also works. It might be done to weird trim differences since I’m in the si.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which trim is your civic? My phone can connect to the secondary port and CarPlay still connects surprisingly. The manual says only the front port connects but the center console also works. It might be done to weird trim differences since I’m in the si.
Good point, now I want to try this in mine (though I've used AA maybe 5 times). Have you tried both ports OP before hacking stuff up? So many small differences in trims as well as Canadian vs US models. I'll aim to report back as to if both work in mine.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag

OP
OP
HomerJ

HomerJ

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sedan Sport
Country flag
just use AAwireless and get rid of connecting a phone. :p
I got in (late) on the AAWireless orders. I don't expect mine until a few months so I'd like to have something in the meantime.

I have the Sport Sedan. I had tried it initially and it seems to half connect but android auto never works. Maybe I should try a different cable.

OP
OP
HomerJ

HomerJ

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sedan Sport
Country flag
Update: I tried again in the car last night with 3 different cables and no luck. The only USB port that works is the one buried under the audio system. The one from the center console compartment only charges the phone.

Time to take out the utility knife (and Band-Aids most likely LOL).

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried too, same deal, it even pops up on the display that you must plug your phone into a port with a picture of a smartphone on it for it to work. Odd that the port in the centre console can read a USB stick for music (that's all I use) but not a phone for AA/CP.

OP
OP
HomerJ

HomerJ

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sedan Sport
Country flag
Good news! I shaved off some plastic from both connectors and swapped them. They still "click" in and stay in securely, but I now have my Android Auto USB port (and I assume Car Play) in the center console where it's easily accessible and the phone doesn't rattle all over the place. The contortionist port under the audio system can be a backup shoud I be desperate enough to need to connect something to it!

Even better, I managed to not shed a single drop of blood in the process!

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Good news! I shaved off some plastic from both connectors and swapped them. They still "click" in and stay in securely, but I now have my Android Auto USB port (and I assume Car Play) in the center console where it's easily accessible and the phone doesn't rattle all over the place. The contortionist port under the audio system can be a backup shoud I be desperate enough to need to connect something to it!

Even better, I managed to not shed a single drop of blood in the process!
Awesome!
Sponsored