Swap connections at back of HU for the USB ports?

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
In the 2017 Sport Touring (and I guess the other CivicX models with the two USB ports), is it possible to swap connections at back of HU for the front 1.5A USB port and the 1.0A USB port in center console?

I'd rather the port that works with Apple CarPlay / AndroidAuto be the one in the center console.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
is it possible to swap connections at back of HU for the front 1.5A USB port and the 1.0A USB port in center console?
It actually isn't. I know because I wanted to relocate the port from the center console to behind the glovebox. Since that's a short distance, I bought the part # for the USB cable that goes to the front port to use. But, it wouldn't plug into the spot where I unplugged the center console one. The connectors are different colors and, though they look pretty similar, are not the same. They're keyed differently.

I even tried cutting some plastic off of the new one I'd ordered, hoping I could make it plug in, but no luck.

I assume this is to keep their techs from accidentally swapping them around when working on a car, then having the customer come back complaining that their Carplay/AA stopped working.

Last edited:

Blitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was told the usb socket in the centre console is the one you plug in your USB media key.

Though mine is a Canadian Civic and there are some differences.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
I was told the usb socket in the centre console is the one you plug in your USB media key.

Though mine is a Canadian Civic and there are some differences.
In models with two ports (front and console between driver and passenger seats) and that have the higher trim HU that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the USB port on the front is the one that works with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
based on what others have said it sounds like they have different connectors. I think if you really want it, you could cut, swap and resolder the connectors, but that be kind of a pain.

Blitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In models with two ports (front and console between driver and passenger seats) and that have the higher trim HU that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the USB port on the front is the one that works with Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto.
Indeed, my Canadian LX has Android Auto on the front connector in the recess under the HU, and if I want to play media from a key, its in the centre console.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Indeed, my Canadian LX has Android Auto on the front connector in the recess under the HU, and if I want to play media from a key, its in the centre console.
Yes - OP wants to swap that around so the center console one works for AA instead.
Sponsored