Swallowing my pride and asking questions...

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hey folks. I don't want to do this, and I wish I knew all this already, but I don't so I'm going to ask these questions... would rather do it right the first time.

Just got a 2017 Si. This is the first car I've ever owned with a turbo so I don't know a whole lot mechanically about them. Learning as I go. I'm not looking to mod the ever loving crap out of this, just want do a few things for some sound and a little performance. By "little performance" I mean I know it'll probably be very slight, and I'm fine with that. I don't plan on dropping 6-700 on a KTuner.

As of today, the Si is bone stock.

I just ordered a Boomba BOV. Do I need anything else? Will adding just the BOV right now have any adverse affects on any other components?

I saw mentioned somewhere that some people will add an aftermarket charge pipe from the intercooler if they plan on adding a BOV. Is a charge pipe necessary? And can an aftermarket charge pipe be connected to a stock intercooler? Is there any point?

The only other mod I'm planning on, or at least considering, is a CAI. PRL, AEM or Injen, haven't settle on one yet. Im in MA, yea it rains, though I really doubt its a concern. With a lower car like an Si, Im not smashing puddles. Question here, and I'll probably find the answer upon installing it, but does the intake resonator need to come out for this? (which Im probably doing anyway). I've seen an install video but, unless I missed it, I saw no mention of the resonator. I'm assuming the answer is yea, take it out, but just wanted to be sure.

Lastly, if I go SRI instead of CAI, I know people have talked about them pulling hotter air, resulting in a lesser performance gain. Has there been no solution to this? Some sort of heat guard behind the cone?

Thanks for your feedback to these surely noob, rookie, "get-a-load-of-this-guy" type of questions. Like I said, I'd rather suck it up and ask before making assumptions, guessing and diving it and screwing something up
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Do not put the BOV on your car, its bad for it. Return it when you can.

If getting an intake, get a PRL SRI or CAI. CAI if you're not worried about water. I have CAI and no need to worry about hydrolock. Its in there pretty dry and secure. Could it happen? Anything can happen...will it? No. I don't wanna get heat soaked.

Only time I changed my charge pipe was when I installed my PRL intercooler. It came with it.

Yes, you will need to remove the intake resonator if getting an intake.

Hey folks. I don't want to do this, and I wish I knew all this already, but I don't so I'm going to ask these questions... would rather do it right the first time.

Just got a 2017 Si. This is the first car I've ever owned with a turbo so I don't know a whole lot mechanically about them. Learning as I go. I'm not looking to mod the ever loving crap out of this, just want do a few things for some sound and a little performance. By "little performance" I mean I know it'll probably be very slight, and I'm fine with that. I don't plan on dropping 6-700 on a KTuner.

As of today, the Si is bone stock.

I just ordered a Boomba BOV. Do I need anything else? Will adding just the BOV right now have any adverse affects on any other components?

I saw mentioned somewhere that some people will add an aftermarket charge pipe from the intercooler if they plan on adding a BOV. Is a charge pipe necessary? And can an aftermarket charge pipe be connected to a stock intercooler? Is there any point?

The only other mod I'm planning on, or at least considering, is a CAI. PRL, AEM or Injen, haven't settle on one yet. Im in MA, yea it rains, though I really doubt its a concern. With a lower car like an Si, Im not smashing puddles. Question here, and I'll probably find the answer upon installing it, but does the intake resonator need to come out for this? (which Im probably doing anyway). I've seen an install video but, unless I missed it, I saw no mention of the resonator. I'm assuming the answer is yea, take it out, but just wanted to be sure.

Lastly, if I go SRI instead of CAI, I know people have talked about them pulling hotter air, resulting in a lesser performance gain. Has there been no solution to this? Some sort of heat guard behind the cone?

Thanks for your feedback to these surely noob, rookie, "get-a-load-of-this-guy" type of questions. Like I said, I'd rather suck it up and ask before making assumptions, guessing and diving it and screwing something up

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The single best mod for power increase is a Ktuner and thats only half of what it does... I know you mentioned the cost... the v1.2 is only $450 USD and gains you 50 hp and 80ft/lbs of tq if you buy from vittuned with a stage 1 map. that is less than 10 bucks per hp... cheap. A CAI adds a tenth of the performance and costs nearly as much (400 USD).

Sal Bandini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
KTuner is $449, not $6-700. If you're going to just do one mod this is the one to do. Intake will set you back a couple of hundred and will net you a whopping 3-4 HP on an otherwise stock car.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
The BOV will harm your car and just create sound which if you get an intake you will have anyway. The BOV will make your car run rich because the air it dumps is supposed to be recirculated back into the system. I have the PRL Cobra and it makes beautiful noise and you can hear the turbo so much better. A short ram intake is going to suck in warmer air so if that is your concern I would go with the CAI. As for the charge pipe, you can get one like AEM makes and connect it the factory intercooler.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Get a set of real tires should be the first on your list imo.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys.

At first, yes the BOV was for the sound, but I was swayed in to ordering it when I read that it actually helps extend the life of your turbo by taking strain off it. I'll see if I can find the site. So I figured if its good for it, and sounds cool, then yea I'm ordering it. Why do you say its bad for the car?

Right now the PRL CAI is on sale for 339 I believe so i think that may be the one I settle on.

I think I need to spend a little more time researching this KTuner though. It seems that most people are singing its praises and doesnt hurt to read more on it.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Get a set of real tires should be the first on your list imo.
the tires on it have 8k miles on them. I'll get new and better tires when they need to be replaced. It is for sure something I'll eventually invest in though.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
eh... can't remember what site I read that one regarding the longevity of the turbo and the bov, but I also read a thread here on this forum where snoopyslr posted about the rich air:fuel being a minor issue, if an issue at all. I saw many people report positive feedback so I was lead to believe they were a good component to add. Or at least not a negative one.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
the tires on it have 8k miles on them. I'll get new and better tires when they need to be replaced. It is for sure something I'll eventually invest in though.
Hmm. Yes the BOV needs to go. But if you are looking for sound, a Short ram/CAI will give you a pretty obvious Turbo sound too.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hmm. Yes the BOV needs to go. But if you are looking for sound, a Short ram/CAI will give you a pretty obvious Turbo sound too.
Ok, but why does the bov need to go. I'm all ears as I may certainly have made the wrong assumption and decision in getting one, but would like to learn why. Everything I read lead me to believe that they won't add any performance, but they won't hurt.
Sponsored