Sustained driving at high speeds... long-term effects?

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Posts for advice and then doesn’t like comments.

If you want to play semantics, your post was in the present tense and you said that you presently are in fear of her driving. That implies that this sort of behavior continues. If you asked her to stop driving like a maniac and she did, fabulous. Good for you for standing up for yourself and I’m happy that you guys were able to work through that.

For anyone calling me a Debbie downer because I don’t appreciate people driving in a excessively dangerous way, you can go stuff it. I’m all for doing whatever you want when the only person that you can impact is yourself, but when you’re putting other people in danger on the roads there’s nothing wrong with standing up and pointing out the stupid behavior. Sustained speeds over 100 mph is plain absurd in the US. The infrastructure was not designed for it, and the rest of the driving community is not equipped to deal with it. It would be great if both roads and drivers could handle it around here, but that’s not the reality.
Sponsored

Deleted member

If you want to play semantics, your post was in the present tense and you said that you presently are in fear of her driving. That implies that this sort of behavior continues. If you asked her to stop driving like a maniac and she did, fabulous. Good for you for standing up for yourself and I’m happy that you guys were able to work through that.

For anyone calling me a Debbie downer because I don’t appreciate people driving in a excessively dangerous way, you can go stuff it. I’m all for doing whatever you want when the only person that you can impact is yourself, but when you’re putting other people in danger on the roads there’s nothing wrong with standing up and pointing out the stupid behavior. Sustained speeds over 100 mph is plain absurd in the US. The infrastructure was not designed for it, and the rest of the driving community is not equipped to deal with it. It would be great if both roads and drivers could handle it around here, but that’s not the reality.
You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Here is mine:

Most people are perfectly capable of making sound judgement when it comes to identifying driving conditions and speed. People wouldn't suddenly get into crashes everywhere if the speed limit increased or went away on highways.

Speed limits are often highly arbitrary on highways- you can be on the same highway with absolutely no change in road condition and the speed limit will change from 70 to 80 to 65 to 75 to 55 to 80 depending on the county you're in.

Saying some arbitrary speed is automatically dangerous and that the roads can't handle it when you have no knowledge of the conditions or the traffic is naive.

Are all streets in the US safe for high speed travel? No. Are there plenty of highways that are? Absolutely.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag

My post asked for advice/opinions about the long-term effects on the car, if any, due to high-speed driving.... not about whether you approve of it or not. So, yeah, the comments weren't appreciated because it's irrelevant to the conversation.

The age-old meme of "Arguing on the Internet is like..." well, you know the rest (don't want the PC Police coming down on me for that, either). Can we agree to disagree and move on, please?

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Big difference between >100 mph and the speeds you are talking about. Likelihood of deadly crashes raises significantly (and exponentially) as speeds go over 80 mph.

* A 2009 study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates speed limit increases were responsible for 12,545 deaths and 36,583 injuries between 1995 and 2005. The number of rural interstate fatalities we can blame on higher speed limits jumped 9.1 percent during that time.

* Crashes are more likely when vehicles are traveling at very different speeds. Higher maximums mean wider gaps in speed between individual cars. That's less safe for everyone. A recent analysis led by Wayne State civil engineers found that fatality rates on roads with limits of 75 mph or higher are double those on interstates where things move more slowly.

edit: added some facts rather than just opinion

Last edited:

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Nope, I don't agree to disagree. You post something publicly about dangerous behavior that puts people at risk, I am free to comment on it. To be clear, I am glad you were terrified at her speeding and that you asked her to stop. You never said if she actually did stop. Hopefully that is the case.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Long term effects?
1) tickets
2) smiles

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
If your question is does your car incur more wear traveling one hundred miles at 100mph, vs traveling one hundred miles at 60mph, then I would have to answer "yes, but", based on my experience. I do believe that engine and drivetrain wear is slightly accelerated by operating at the higher RPMs with a higher wind resistance trying to oppose it. How much wear, over how much time, should be measurable, though I've never seen any article documenting it.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
It costs less wear than stop and go traffic . Engine is very relaxing at that speed . No carbon build up too .
Erbee is right. The only thing I would add is that towards the end of those extended high speed runs, just remind your gf to drive in a more relaxed manner to allow the engine, especially the turbo, to cool down. Heat soak is something to keep in mind when dealing with turbocharged engines.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Big difference between >100 mph and the speeds you are talking about. Likelihood of deadly crashes raises significantly (and exponentially) as speeds go over 80 mph.

* A 2009 study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates speed limit increases were responsible for 12,545 deaths and 36,583 injuries between 1995 and 2005. The number of rural interstate fatalities we can blame on higher speed limits jumped 9.1 percent during that time.

* Crashes are more likely when vehicles are traveling at very different speeds. Higher maximums mean wider gaps in speed between individual cars. That's less safe for everyone. A recent analysis led by Wayne State civil engineers found that fatality rates on roads with limits of 75 mph or higher are double those on interstates where things move more slowly.

edit: added some facts rather than just opinion
Honda Civic 10th gen Sustained driving at high speeds... long-term effects? main-qimg-45a5658a96b5ba8c0e5387d4093f5db2-c

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i had a ford focus that needed to be at 65% throttle to hold hyway speeds. that car ran so hard at hyway speeds that prolonged use at hi speeds would cause an early death of the engine.
my civic si holds hyway speeds at about 25% throttle. this car is geared and powered like a touring car up top.

sorry, no mechanical reason for her to slow down.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Thanks for the sound relationship advice. :rolleyes1: Perhaps you didn't read my entire post; I'm well-aware of the dangers of driving at high speeds, hence the reason why I asked her not to drive that way any more (I clearly mentioned that). Appreciate you trying to be my therapist/life coach, but I'm quite happy in my relationship, child status (none), and choice of vehicle.
"petrified" is what you wrote, sounds like she scares the s#it out of ya.
Sponsored