Sustained driving at high speeds... long-term effects?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I don't subscribe to the Perpetual Car Payment, so I try to keep them as long as I can (usually 10 years, or if my vehicular needs change... whichever occurs first). I try to take good care of my cars so they last a long time, in hopes of not having any major repairs before it's time to move on. So, that's why I'm asking the following:

I have a '17 Civic Si coupe. The GF and I have taken it from NC-to-FL twice now in the past year. We usually switch drivers halfway through the trip. I'm a "set the cruise control at 6 - 9 MPH over the speed limit" kind of guy, but the GF is a "Google Maps says 4 hours; let's see how much we can beat that time" kind of gal. This means sustained driving at high rates of speed for several hours at a time.

The fact that I'm petrified in the passenger seat notwithstanding (and I've asked her to please not do that anymore), my other concerns are the long-term effects this may have on the car. Do I need to worry about a few hours of 100+ MPH speeds once or twice a year, when the speeds the other 99% of the time are reasonable? When I say reasonable, I mean mostly city driving and the rest of the highway driving is ~75 MPH. The is the first car I've had that's capable of those speeds - and truth be told, the car didn't seem to have any difficulties getting to or maintaining them - but still doesn't mean it's designed to do so for long periods of time.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Deleted member

Won't cause an issue aside from a pricey speeding ticket. US highway speeds are arbitrary and are in no way connected to what the cars are capable of doing smoothly or safely. People drive at 100+ mph on a regular basis in Germany for years on their daily commutes without issue.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same car and your RPMs will be nice and safe in the 'peak torque zone' above 2500 RPM at 100MPH in 6th. That means the engine is running efficiently . As long as GF isn't flooring it (hard acceleration) in 6th the car is only having to power through wind and rolling resistance (minimal in this car). So yea, the car won't care.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Appreciate the feedback.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I tend to drive similarly to your gf and just want to warn you that at a certain point they take you to jail for reckless operation...

Also, I assumed Google recalibrated the time depending on how fast you were moving. Not true?

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my younger years, I drove my RSX rather quickly and made regular trips across state about once a month. It was not uncommon to make it 180 miles in under two hours. That car ran like a champ until the day I wrecked it (who would have guessed that would have happened :slap:).

As others have said, if you are just cruising at that speed, I can't imagine it's going to cause any significant damage to anything as long as you aren't accelerating in OD.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tend to drive similarly to your gf and just want to warn you that at a certain point they take you to jail for reckless operation...

Also, I assumed Google recalibrated the time depending on how fast you were moving. Not true?
That's the other part I was worried about; we were on our way to a cruise and I sure as hell didn't want to go at it alone if she was sitting in jail :p

As far as Google Map, yes, it recalibrates the ETA based on speed, traffic, stops you make, etc., but the fun part (and her goal) is the summary at the end of your trip that says "xx minutes earlier than predicted."

In my younger years, I drove my RSX rather quickly and made regular trips across state about once a month. It was not uncommon to make it 180 miles in under two hours. That car ran like a champ until the day I wrecked it (who would have guessed that would have happened :slap:).

As others have said, if you are just cruising at that speed, I can't imagine it's going to cause any significant damage to anything as long as you aren't accelerating in OD.
Thanks again. Yes, it's just cruising at that speed... no hard acceleration or anything like that. Just high sustained speeds that scared the shit out of me. We're flying next time! :D

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I know exactly where your coming from man. I too have a feeling, probably unfounded, that sustained high speed driving somehow breaks down cars. I guess tracking a car is what really breaks down cars.
If I have a long trip ahead of me, I’ll try to take a more touring type of car instead of a car like the Si. My Si is more for local, relatively short distance trips.
On a side not, based on my driving preferences and how much I look after my Si, I will not let anyone else drive my car. I’ve had a couple occasions where I allowed friends to try out the Si, and I cringed while in the passenger seat, and I had reason to cringe. NEVER again!

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I know exactly where your coming from man. I too have a feeling, probably unfounded, that sustained high speed driving somehow breaks down cars. I guess tracking a car is what really breaks down cars.
If I have a long trip ahead of me, I’ll try to take a more touring type of car instead of a car like the Si. My Si is more for local, relatively short distance trips.
On a side not, based on my driving preferences and how much I look after my Si, I will not let anyone else drive my car. I’ve had a couple occasions where I allowed friends to try out the Si, and I cringed while in the passenger seat, and I had reason to cringe. NEVER again!
agreed, i let one buddy drive mine the day i picked it up and lets just say he wont be getting behind the wheel again. i taught my GF how to drive it in case i drink to much and need to put her behind the wheel, she knows what not to do behind the wheel.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
OP, need to get a new GF. Not only is driving like that reckless, it is putting you, her, and others in danger. Just a bad collision waiting to happen. You going to have her drive the kids around some day? Yikes.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
OP, need to get a new GF. Not only is driving like that reckless, it is putting you, her, and others in danger. Just a bad collision waiting to happen. You going to have her drive the kids around some day? Yikes.
You read my mind.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Debbie downers found this post it seems...

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the sound relationship advice. :rolleyes1: Perhaps you didn't read my entire post; I'm well-aware of the dangers of driving at high speeds, hence the reason why I asked her not to drive that way any more (I clearly mentioned that). Appreciate you trying to be my therapist/life coach, but I'm quite happy in my relationship, child status (none), and choice of vehicle.
Sponsored