CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Yeah. That's the sound. It sounds like your entire suspension system is being ripped out by a metal monster.

When people told me I was like, there's no way that sound came from a pebble. But it 100% did.
Lmao yeah!

It sounds like it’s being ripped apart lol
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah. That's the sound. It sounds like your entire suspension system is being ripped out by a metal monster.

When people told me I was like, there's no way that sound came from a pebble. But it 100% did.
yeah, same here, lol. Thought it was the springs or something...but realized it was just a dang pebble...quite common when it rains a lot and those pebbles spread out all over the dang road.

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks goodness for this thread... It's been raining here for days... and we heard this stupid sproing noise tonight and were both pretty puzzled. I just went to the garage and you can sproing the dust shield with my hand... same sound.

Thanks!

MatT3T4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R, 2018 MBZ S450, 2005 Lexus GX470
Country flag
I have had literally all of the noises that everyone is mentioning. I've brought my 2018 CTR with 2400 miles on it to the dealership five times. Only once was it still making noises when it got there. The first time, they pulled a pebble out from the dust shield area. I have had noises that sounded like a spring springing, I have had noises that sounded like metal grinding on metal, I have had noises that sounded like metal bashing against metal, you name it. It has happened in forward and reverse. When it is happening in forward, the noise it makes in reverse is like 10x louder.

The dealership cannot see anything wrong, so they are calling Honda today to get Honda to send a corporate tech out to inspect it. It's absolutely ridiculous that so many of us are hearing these issues and there is no consensus. Metal can only bang and grind on metal for so long until something breaks.

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
I have had literally all of the noises that everyone is mentioning. I've brought my 2018 CTR with 2400 miles on it to the dealership five times. Only once was it still making noises when it got there. The first time, they pulled a pebble out from the dust shield area. I have had noises that sounded like a spring springing, I have had noises that sounded like metal grinding on metal, I have had noises that sounded like metal bashing against metal, you name it. It has happened in forward and reverse. When it is happening in forward, the noise it makes in reverse is like 10x louder.

The dealership cannot see anything wrong, so they are calling Honda today to get Honda to send a corporate tech out to inspect it. It's absolutely ridiculous that so many of us are hearing these issues and there is no consensus. Metal can only bang and grind on metal for so long until something breaks.
If it's not a pebble please let us know!

MatT3T4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it's not a pebble please let us know!
The first time I brought it in, they pulled it into an empty stall and lifted it, and retrieved the pebble. Since then it has happened numerous times, coming and going. The fourth time I took it, was the time that it was still making noises so the dealership could finally hear it in real life. They were unable to find a pebble in there, but they definitely heard all of the metal grinding.

I got a text yesterday saying that they'd escalated it up to Honda corporate, so that they can get someone out to inspect it.

Basically, without Honda giving them the green light, the dealership will not pull apart the suspension. All they can do is inspect it. I am pretty convinced that when they pull the brake and suspension assembly, they will in the very least see some damage from whatever has been making that noise. But Honda needs to give them the go ahead.

With so many people complaining about this, I am wondering if it will force a recall. There is NO reason why brand new cars should be making these noises...pebble or otherwise. The noises that I hear intermittently are metal on metal, not a pebble. I expect to hear back soon, and will keep this thread updated.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I've been dealing with suspension noise for a few months now and this particular dealer for over 2 months. Finally have an appointment next friday with the honda field rep for the area. Before, the dealer escalated it to Honda techline and they came back immediately and said it was "normal" and closed the case. I had to rage at the honda corporate to get them to have a field rep ride with me. Honda just trying to get out from honoring warranty work. They won't touch the car without Honda approval, just like you said. Brand new car, suspension rattling in my front but somehow its "normal" lol. I believe it to be the bearing in the strut mount/top hat or whatever its called but I won't know unless they pull the suspension.

The first time I brought it in, they pulled it into an empty stall and lifted it, and retrieved the pebble. Since then it has happened numerous times, coming and going. The fourth time I took it, was the time that it was still making noises so the dealership could finally hear it in real life. They were unable to find a pebble in there, but they definitely heard all of the metal grinding.

I got a text yesterday saying that they'd escalated it up to Honda corporate, so that they can get someone out to inspect it.

Basically, without Honda giving them the green light, the dealership will not pull apart the suspension. All they can do is inspect it. I am pretty convinced that when they pull the brake and suspension assembly, they will in the very least see some damage from whatever has been making that noise. But Honda needs to give them the go ahead.

With so many people complaining about this, I am wondering if it will force a recall. There is NO reason why brand new cars should be making these noises...pebble or otherwise. The noises that I hear intermittently are metal on metal, not a pebble. I expect to hear back soon, and will keep this thread updated.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been dealing with suspension noise for a few months now and this particular dealer for over 2 months. Finally have an appointment next friday with the honda field rep for the area. Before, the dealer escalated it to Honda techline and they came back immediately and said it was "normal" and closed the case. I had to rage at the honda corporate to get them to have a field rep ride with me. Honda just trying to get out from honoring warranty work. They won't touch the car without Honda approval, just like you said. Brand new car, suspension rattling in my front but somehow its "normal" lol. I believe it to be the bearing in the strut mount/top hat or whatever its called but I won't know unless they pull the suspension. Idk what else to do if this fails. I will have to go to a regular mechanic and pay someone to work on my car.

MatT3T4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, if Honda doesn't want to play ball I'll get an attorney. At some point, something is going to break, and if it happens when one of us is driving, it could be really bad.

Honda, I know you read these forums. Do the right thing before the courts have to get involved. I don't know about you guys but I certainly didn't impulse buy a Type-R for it to have broken suspension from the factory.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
The noise you all are describing is the same sounds others are describing as excessive in very cold temps... -15 to 20 F. We get the identical sound going over side to side rocking rough roads at lower speeds. Sounds like linkage or a control arm is rattling lose. I’ve spoke to three different Honda dealers all trying to same this is normal.

I’m shocked at how worthless Honda dealership service departments are. I come from different brands where their teams always try to help their customers rather than ignore and just blame you or other things.

I still feel like something isn’t right with that sound but can’t seem to find it myself.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I don't own a CTR but just thought I'd share this. I had a similar issue in a Veloster Turbo. Random, couldn't make it repeat and service department thought I was nuts. So I decided I would just set my phone to record video each time I got in the car. It only takes a few seconds and barely an inconvenience. Sure enough I was able to record the sound and show it to the service department. It helped identify the issue (loose K frame bolt) and all was good. Good luck.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I mean I can try to do this as have a Gopro on the way that I just purchased but idk where to mount it under the car to find the noise. I've had the wheels off multiple times and the dealer has tried to find it as well (not sure how in depth they went). I honestly think it's something that will need the suspension pulled out and put back in, torqued to specs in order to alleviate the issue but I can't even get them to do that. I mean the sound is 100% from the suspension but whether its the control arm, or top mount, or strut, or ball joints, or tie rods, etc I have no clue. Its maddening, it truly is. I've watched every suspension noise video on youtube I can find but nothing has helped. Warranty should cover me on this but I find I'm the one doing the majority of the work and that's bs. I really hope @bobafettm visit to the dealership produces something as his sound is the exact same I'm experiencing.

I don't own a CTR but just thought I'd share this. I had a similar issue in a Veloster Turbo. Random, couldn't make it repeat and service department thought I was nuts. So I decided I would just set my phone to record video each time I got in the car. It only takes a few seconds and barely an inconvenience. Sure enough I was able to record the sound and show it to the service department. It helped identify the issue (loose K frame bolt) and all was good. Good luck.

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
I took my '19 in today for service for the same screeching type sounds but only when I am making a left. My car has 1250 miles on it. They said it was out of alignment a tiny bit and that was it. I have driven it around 30 miles since then and it seems ok (knock on wood). I still hear some normal brake pad noises but I am not worried about those. It's the screeching of metal on metal and only when turning one way that had me. I wasn't even braking when it made noise, just turning. Oh well.

MatT3T4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They said it was out of alignment a tiny bit and that was it.
I noticed this, too. My wheel pulls to the left a tad bit. I have to put a little effort into keeping it straight in the lane, and this came on with only like...2500 miles.

Plus, my front brake(s) squeak too.

Come on, Honda...this is unacceptable.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Found it! Jeffery Honda here in Michigan was able to help diagnose the issue and then order the replacements. Completed the repair today and wow. Entirely different world of difference in sounds.

As explained to me and as you can see in the photos... the strut itself has the plate on the top and seal running around it. That seal failed causing water to enter... that green color sealant is normally white which they believe has rusted inside causing the green hue and thus all the noise.

Big help from that dealership!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Suspension sounds on the 2018 Type R 0FCCABA3-4980-4DA9-B519-E5E155B24A12

Honda Civic 10th gen Suspension sounds on the 2018 Type R 05C98422-F812-4B65-B6C6-74535C50DF1A

Honda Civic 10th gen Suspension sounds on the 2018 Type R A96A1D4A-D535-4732-A52D-22CA892E2C5E