Suspension sounds on the 2018 Type R

mmcglasson

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru BRZ
I have a 2018 CTR with about 3,800 miles. Occasionally I've noticed some sounds (which appears to be with the suspension) making clunking/clinking sounds. I've heard it in Sport and R mode. This doesn't happen often and I can't repeat it on demand. I've more so noticed it while breaking before pulling into the driveway (while slightly turning) at a speed of 1-5mph. Have any of you heard or noticed any weird sounds coming from the suspension? Is this normal for an adjustable suspension.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CTR_FK8_00436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR / 2011 Civic Hybrid
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2018 CTR with about 3,800 miles. Occasionally I've noticed some sounds (which appears to be with the suspension) making clunking/clinking sounds. I've heard it in Sport and R mode. This doesn't happen often and I can't repeat it on demand. I've more so noticed it while breaking before pulling into the driveway (while slightly turning) at a speed of 1-5mph. Have any of you heard or noticed any weird sounds coming from the suspension? Is this normal for an adjustable suspension.
Yes, I’ve experienced exactly what you described, when pulling in the driveway. It immediately gets my attention, and is intermittent. I would describe the sound as a spring popping. I have 4600 miles.

I’m not worried because it does not happen often, and I expect it to get worse if it’s failing, and there’s plenty of warranty left.

Rreedd

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
Yes, I’ve experienced exactly what you described, when pulling in the driveway. It immediately gets my attention, and is intermittent. I would describe the sound as a spring popping. I have 4600 miles.

I’m not worried because it does not happen often, and I expect it to get worse if it’s failing, and there’s plenty of warranty left.
I don't think dampers are covered

Rreedd

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
I don't think dampers are covered

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm near you lol...I'm down in Pasadena.

Anyway, I used to notice this when I had lower miles and it was always upon leaving the driveway.

I felt like it was the tires, so stick in the drive way that it caused tension while turning...thus getting that sound.

I've been on my 18" Enkeis with all weather tires and never get that sound. So I'm guessing it's just the sticky tires causing this conflict with the suspension at low speeds/turns.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Just to confirm, does it happen after you've been driving a bit?

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So.....If it's after you've been driving a little bit, it's most likely your backplate behind the wheel. After driving it gets hot and expands. It then rubs up against your wheel when you turn. I had the dealership put a piece of foam on mine when they thought it was touching and the sound went away. If you can, flick it and see if makes that same sound.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So far, every time that I've noticed it, it has been after driving home from work, store, etc.
Yeah, sounds like the back plate. It drove me nuts for a while, I thought front end falling apart. Have it looked at anyway, just in case. They might find something wedged up in there too.

OP
OP

mmcglasson

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru BRZ
Yeah, sounds like the back plate. It drove me nuts for a while, I thought front end falling apart. Have it looked at anyway, just in case. They might find something wedged up in there too.
I will state that I haven't heard it for a while. Is this back plate an issue or just normal? Do I need to tighten something? I will state that I can't replicate the issue and it's more random than anything.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I will state that I haven't heard it for a while. Is this back plate an issue or just normal? Do I need to tighten something? I will state that I can't replicate the issue and it's more random than anything.
My dealer put a rubber spacer on it, haven't had the issue since. However, many people have experienced the same thing. Maybe Honda can double up and issue the second gear crunch recall and a backplate recall at the same time....Hehe

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
Does anyone get a front end clunk when going over speed bumps?