olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I am interested in what you each consider to be the best suspension setup for the Si for daily spirited driving: good handling/safety on curvy roads, but still comfortable for the family.

I'm currently lowered 1" on Swift springs, and am considering also upgrading the rear swaybar, the front swaybar end links, and a front strut brace. However, I'm not exactly sure how this will affect over/understeer, as I'm a suspension n00b.

What setups are you all running?
Sponsored

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Depending on how you set up your sways you can influence your car's handling either way. A lot of people seem to go too stiff and end up with a lot of understeer.

Suspension used to be my first mods, but on this car it will be some of my last. The factory suspension is dialed in pretty darn well for daily and street driving, and I love the dual-mode ability. Great for learning and practicing, it's very forgiving changing load in corners, can really get a good feel for different behaviors and consequences. One of the best FWD platforms I've driven.

I've done the Type R subframe brace, waiting on the 27WON strut brace to come available, and considering a trunk brace; but otherwise don't plan on touching the suspension itself until the adjustable dampers die. Then it will be full coilovers, corner balanced and all.

OP
OP
olesaintnik

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depending on how you set up your sways you can influence your car's handling either way. A lot of people seem to go too stiff and end up with a lot of understeer.

Suspension used to be my first mods, but on this car it will be some of my last. The factory suspension is dialed in pretty darn well for daily and street driving, and I love the dual-mode ability. Great for learning and practicing, it's very forgiving changing load in corners, can really get a good feel for different behaviors and consequences. One of the best FWD platforms I've driven.

I've done the Type R subframe brace, waiting on the 27WON strut brace to come available, and considering a trunk brace; but otherwise don't plan on touching the suspension itself until the adjustable dampers die. Then it will be full coilovers, corner balanced and all.
Thanks for your input!! I've added subframe brace to the list of options in the poll. How has the subframe brace changed the feel of the car? What will the trunk brace and strut bar change?

I agree -- the OEM suspension (especially with the adaptive dampers) is great!

I've heard that stiff rear sways cause oversteer and stiff front sways cause understeer. But I'm wondering how much over/understeer each causes.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did eibach springs which lowered center of gravity but didn't add much stiffness. But when I went with Whiteline 26mm rear sway it made a huge difference. I recommend a larger rear sway, do the links at the same time to get the most out of the stiffer swaybar.

Tbh I wish the eibach prokit was stiffer...

OP
OP
olesaintnik

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did eibach springs which lowered center of gravity but didn't add much stiffness. But when I went with Whiteline 26mm rear sway it made a huge difference. I recommend a larger rear sway, do the links at the same time to get the most out of the stiffer swaybar.

Tbh I wish the eibach prokit was stiffer...
Thanks for your input! By the way, your car looks sick on those lowering springs + wheels! That fitment is perfection ?

What effect did the rear sway + end links have? Does the understeer still feel pretty balanced?

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Lowered on Skunk2 Springs. DefinitelY makes the car look a lot nicer and it’s not that different from the stock springs. Also comfortable enough for the family to go in the car and not bounce everywhere. I also agree with @skorj, usually The first thing I mess with in any car is the suspension but this car is pretty dialed in.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for your input! By the way, your car looks sick on those lowering springs + wheels! That fitment is perfection ?

What effect did the rear sway + end links have? Does the understeer still feel pretty balanced?
Perfect steer in now, understeer is gone all together, it feels very well balanced. Even at low speed the difference is noticable but a joy to drive spirited.

And thanks!

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My setup swift springs, type r center brace, ultra racing front strut bar, anti lift kit, front camber kit and rear camber arms. Everything is comfortable for daily driving with the exception of the anti lift kit.

I recommend front and rear camber adjustment and rear sway bar. Adding some negative camber will do wonders on the spirited driving.

OP
OP
olesaintnik

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My setup swift springs, type r center brace, ultra racing front strut bar, anti lift kit, front camber kit and rear camber arms. Everything is comfortable for daily driving with the exception of the anti lift kit.

I recommend front and rear camber adjustment and rear sway bar. Adding some negative camber will do wonders on the spirited driving.
Awesome build! Thanks for the tip -- any brand of camber kit/ sway bar that you recommend?

Dawsfc3

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag

What makes the anti lift kit uncomfortable for daily driving? Just bought the super pro lower controls arms. Don’t know if those bushings are just as stiff.

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Thanks for your input!! I've added subframe brace to the list of options in the poll. How has the subframe brace changed the feel of the car? What will the trunk brace and strut bar change?

I agree -- the OEM suspension (especially with the adaptive dampers) is great!

I've heard that stiff rear sways cause oversteer and stiff front sways cause understeer. But I'm wondering how much over/understeer each causes.
The Type R subframe brace added just a little bit of firmness, enough I could feel the car reacting more predictably to quick left-right changes or lifting the throttle mid-corner. Not a huge improvement but for a $15 part it’s absolutely worth it.

The trunk brace will firm up the rear end, the sedan has a decent amount of flex in the rear. Same impact - better feedback to the driver and more predictable especially in quick changes. Strut bar is the same also but our fronts are already pretty strong, I wonder how much of a difference it will actually make.