Suspension setup with straight line driving dynamics of S2000 CR ?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The CTR has great handling out of the box and is very comfortable for the amount of performance it delivers. Now, the latter generally is a great thing for most people, but I'm in the strange minority. I do enjoy taking the car out on curves and twisties, but admittedly, most of my driving will be on the highway and commuting. I really like the stiff (for a stock car) and "hoppy" nature of the S2000 CR suspension where you feel undulations in the road. Most people hate this, but to me, it makes the driving experience more engaging and I feel more connected to the road. The stock CTR suspension seems muted when driving in a straight line.

Is there a suspension setup for the CTR that is stiffer and is more "bouncy" in a straight line, but doesn't give up any of its cornering prowess? Was hoping the suspension in the LE model would solve this problem, but it seems like either there is no change or a very minimal one. Too bad the FK2 suspension can't be fitted to this car as the ride is reportedly stiff on that car.

Thanks!
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i mean, you can always go upgrade to coil overs. They for sure will be bouncier than factory suspension.

You can also just drive around in +R mode. I wouldn't say its stiff but its not soft.
or try swift springs on the stock dampers.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i mean, you can always go upgrade to coil overs. They for sure will be bouncier than factory suspension.

You can also just drive around in +R mode. I wouldn't say its stiff but its not soft.
or try swift springs on the stock dampers.
Thanks... are there any stiff/firm aftermarket options that 1)work with the drive modes, 2)don't have (or very minimal) settings to fiddle with (aside from via the drive modes), and 3)keep the ride height stock or close to stock?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Thanks... are there any stiff/firm aftermarket options that 1)work with the drive modes, 2)don't have (or very minimal) settings to fiddle with (aside from via the drive modes), and 3)keep the ride height stock or close to stock?
You're asking for a lot and I don't believe these magic dampers exist. A lot of aftermarket coilovers are worse than the factory. You're looking at 4-5k MCS or JRZ to make the upgrade worth it IMO.

With that said, there are a few options that aren't a downgrade:
1. Lowering springs that don't drop the car too much, e.g., Eibach Pro kit
2. Extreme summer performance tires. They generally have much stiffer sidewalls compared to the OEM Continentals. Also bumping up the tire pressure to about 37-40 will make the ride feel stiffer.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Get some stiffer springs. Swift is a go to for a lot of us. You can also look into the RV6 suspension parts. I have them on my car and they firmed up my car a good amount. You can do the front anti lift kit + sphericals. Get a stiffer sidewall tire will help too. Possibly drop down to a 19” or 18” wheel with a nice sticky tire. Check my build thread on the RV6 suspension stuff. Definitely worth it

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
there is no aftermarket suspension that checks all of the stuff you mentioned unfortunately.

closest thing to how a S2000 CR suspension feels would be swift springs imo. But that drops the car about an inch which you might not like.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The CTR has great handling out of the box and is very comfortable for the amount of performance it delivers. Now, the latter generally is a great thing for most people, but I'm in the strange minority. I do enjoy taking the car out on curves and twisties, but admittedly, most of my driving will be on the highway and commuting. I really like the stiff (for a stock car) and "hoppy" nature of the S2000 CR suspension where you feel undulations in the road. Most people hate this, but to me, it makes the driving experience more engaging and I feel more connected to the road. The stock CTR suspension seems muted when driving in a straight line.

Is there a suspension setup for the CTR that is stiffer and is more "bouncy" in a straight line, but doesn't give up any of its cornering prowess? Was hoping the suspension in the LE model would solve this problem, but it seems like either there is no change or a very minimal one. Too bad the FK2 suspension can't be fitted to this car as the ride is reportedly stiff on that car.

Thanks!
The RV6 spherical bushings will give you exactly what you described.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get some stiffer springs. Swift is a go to for a lot of us. You can also look into the RV6 suspension parts. I have them on my car and they firmed up my car a good amount. You can do the front anti lift kit + sphericals. Get a stiffer sidewall tire will help too. Possibly drop down to a 19” or 18” wheel with a nice sticky tire. Check my build thread on the RV6 suspension stuff. Definitely worth it
Des RV6 offer an anti-lift product now? When I'd emailed them a ways back, they mentioned that they're compliance mounts were not designed to increase caster. That said, their bushings are definitely stiffer than Whiteline's.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Des RV6 offer an anti-lift product now? When I'd emailed them a ways back, they mentioned that they're compliance mounts were not designed to increase caster. That said, their bushings are definitely stiffer than Whiteline's.
It’s the front compliance mount. Some companies call it anti lift. It does not alter caster from what I know. My car might be full duty track / weekend car so I might go full spherical along with no compliance mount

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s the front compliance mount. Some companies call it anti lift. It does not alter caster from what I know. My car might be full duty track / weekend car so I might go full spherical along with no compliance mount
It shouldn't be that bad, honestly. I'm running the Whiteline front compliance mounts with the poly bushings and even on the stock 20's in +R mode, I barely notice any increased harshness. Steering definitely feels more direct, and I do get better road feel, but it's not even close to unbearably stiff. I can't imagine that the RV6 sphericals are much worse.

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have an idea...sit on an inflatable rubber pad while you are driving.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is mostly what your shock absorbers will absorb .If there is a way to change the settings of the shock absorber or replace them with aftermarket ones then you'll get it to be firmer on a straight line.Suspension bushings don't do a lot to that except when you replace them all.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It shouldn't be that bad, honestly. I'm running the Whiteline front compliance mounts with the poly bushings and even on the stock 20's in +R mode, I barely notice any increased harshness. Steering definitely feels more direct, and I do get better road feel, but it's not even close to unbearably stiff. I can't imagine that the RV6 sphericals are much worse.
there is no aftermarket suspension that checks all of the stuff you mentioned unfortunately.

closest thing to how a S2000 CR suspension feels would be swift springs imo. But that drops the car about an inch which you might not like.
Are these Swift springs pretty much the stiffest standalone aftermarket springs you can buy for the CTR right now?

Do they lower the car by a whole inch?

Would mounting them on some sort of shims to raise the ride height say half an inch be a bad idea?
Sponsored