OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Update: Installed whiteline sway bar end links. Sound is less frequent, but I still hear a metal clunk on harder bumps. I think my ball joints are bad, and the sway bar end links took the beating and masked the ball join sound with their own.

Going to replace those next, after triple-checking the whiteline adjustables are super tight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Another update; sound is much worse. It was OK, drove about 300 miles this past week, but went out to grab gas Sunday night and it sounded like my front end was going to fall apart so I turned back around. Double-checked tightness, maybe i just don't know how to adjust the whiteline bar? Will upload video soon.

Haven't put in ball joint yet because I don't know if that's the issue at this point

Last edited:
OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Here's the video, the noise is worse. You can skip to one minute in to hear it. I apologize in advance for the glorious view of my leg. I also apologize for the google drive links as that's the best I can do currently.

For context, I have my center console out as I have been running the Acuity short shifter as a skeleton setup, so the phone is positioned in the cable area. This is at the speed of 10 mph, straight, in a fairly smooth area with minor bumps (and one pothole you can hear).

I lifted the car, checked the tightness of the sway bar end links and the adjustment points, drove it a fair amount, and all of a sudden the sound has devolved into this:

I asked my usual go-to for help, and they said take it to Honda

Pervysageee

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Weird but I had awful clunking noise that happens just driving over rocks or little bumps. On Sunday I hit a pot hole and it popped my tire. Jacked the car up took the rim off brought it to a tire shop. Put the wheel back on, I started to drive and now I hear absolutely nothing. Been a few days since and I still hear nothing. And I’m telling you it was awful sounding to the point I would stop driving my car around. Still can’t pin point what was causing the noises but since the noise is gone I’m okay with hitting that pothole lollll

finch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si, 2018 Accord sport, 2005 Saab 92x
Country flag
I've had a similar noise after investigating I found the brake pad shim wasn't doing its job and had to be readjusted a few days later the noise returned so I made an appointment at my local dealership. They replaced the shims along with the strut bearings as they said those were bad and our cars have issues with the brake pads becoming loose in the caliper.

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I installed Eibach pros last week on my 2020 si with 1800 miles and I have pretty much the same noise. Went back and checked and re-tightened, even took the passenger side apart again.

Thought maybe sway bar end links so I bought Eibach endlinks. Couldn't figure out how to install them after following the provided instructions and calling the place I bought them from. Didn't' seem like enough threads in the shaft to feel safe. Ended up putting stocks back on.

My stock 2020 endlinks wiggled just like yours

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the video, the noise is worse. You can skip to one minute in to hear it. I apologize in advance for the glorious view of my leg. I also apologize for the google drive links as that's the best I can do currently.

For context, I have my center console out as I have been running the Acuity short shifter as a skeleton setup, so the phone is positioned in the cable area. This is at the speed of 10 mph, straight, in a fairly smooth area with minor bumps (and one pothole you can hear).

I lifted the car, checked the tightness of the sway bar end links and the adjustment points, drove it a fair amount, and all of a sudden the sound has devolved into this:

I asked my usual go-to for help, and they said take it to Honda
I hate to say I told you so but endlinks is supposed to move freely since its basically a joint. Just to prove to myself that my endlink is not the cause of the clunk on the side that is happening, I removed it completely and drove over the speed bumps where I always hear them. clunk is still there.
I feel like your clunk sounds like the top hat mount bolt is loose

Last edited:
OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I hate to say I told you so but endlinks is supposed to move freely since its basically a joint. Just to prove to myself that my endlink is not the cause of the clunk on the side that is happening, I removed it completely and drove over the speed bumps where I always hear them. clunk is still there.
I feel like your clunk sounds like the top hat mount bolt is loose
Sure, so I think I agree at this point. When I took out the sway bar links, as well as the ball joints, they are definitely worse for wear. My video game controllers have stiffer joysticks, than what came off my car. Comparing the new to the old, it seems like a replacement was not a bad idea at all, but I do agree that it may not have been necessary. Just wanted to be pro-active and take care of it before more components are damaged.

Here's an update in general;

After replacing both sway bar end links, and replacing both ball joints, the original noise is gone from what I can tell. But now the sway bar links (I think it is), is making the sound ONLY on the right side, and I should have gone fixed length. I wasn't looking for some track adjustable, I just followed recommendations after explaining my situation and was told whiteline would be better. Definitely are solid, but the adjustable part is an extra variable. Wishing now I went fixed length, will next time around.

I contacted whiteline, they told me to try a re-install, tightening the top bolt first, then the bottom once it's on at ride height, use some medium loctite and told me about orange loctite which is specifically for vibrations (ie suspension), and if anything to send the link in.

I've got a dealer appt tomorrow for an oil change, and will have them check out the noise also. I can confidently drive it, everything from what I can tell is tight, I just can't find the noise. If it ends up being something else I will of course post back.

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Update;

Stealership said the current noise is the front passenger whiteline end link that's busted. They tried to adjust it, but "it just spins". I tried to give whiteline a call, but it is what it is, reiterating again that I wish I went fixed length, since I don't need it adjustable. I'll need to go OEM or Moog, or at least see if whiteline will send me a new end link

Could have saved myself the diag fee by doing what jscm did, removing the end link and driving to see if the noise is gone. Lesson learned

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Called whiteline, they said go through autozone for the return since that's where I got them from. Dude from autozone said they don't normally warranty it, but is overriding the parts so they can arrive for an exchange. Sold in a set, so i've got to take it all apart, probably have it happen again.

Honda doesn't have any sway bar end links in stock either right now. OEM parts would be the same price, so I figured I might as well try again with the ones I've already paid for.

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Called whiteline, they said go through autozone for the return since that's where I got them from. Dude from autozone said they don't normally warranty it, but is overriding the parts so they can arrive for an exchange. Sold in a set, so i've got to take it all apart, probably have it happen again.

Honda doesn't have any sway bar end links in stock either right now. OEM parts would be the same price, so I figured I might as well try again with the ones I've already paid for.
why cant you just put the original one and see if that makes clunk too? according to your early posts that replacing the ball joints eliminated your clunk?

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
why cant you just put the original one and see if that makes clunk too? according to your early posts that replacing the ball joints eliminated your clunk?
I've started hearing the original sound that made the open the can of worms, so at this point I'm just chalking it up to being a characteristic of the car, just like the crunchy second gear shift we all joke about. Just wanted to look into it, since I've given the car 100% of the miles on it, and in 56k never heard the sound prior, just wanted to stop on top of maintenance and repairs since i've already had a rear main seal and cam tensioner cover seal blow, earlier on.

Don't get me wrong, my ball joints and sway bar links needed some care, but were not 'due'. They are at the point where I wouldn't consider putting them back into any civic. My only regret is not getting fixed length. My original thought was that if the oem end links last 50-70k, if I get the 'performance brand' they would last longer, but at this point I really don't care, as long as I can get it to work.

This thread doesn't really need to continue anymore, I need to replace the bad end link and then move on with it. After I visited Honda you could tell they tightened it up, but the same thing happened where it slowly worked itself loose. I think the whitelines are better oriented towards track days and not daily drivers.

HondaGuy

First Name
scooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civix 2017
Country flag
speed bumps. the moment I hit it and when i drop from it. two clicks.
Mine previously did this exactly, they couldn't fix it 100%, but went quiet on it's own. But it still drives like an Old Car at only 45k kms (<30k miles) - front end shakes over multiple successive bumps. Waiting for Honda's official word.

thewestisblue

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was this resolved in the end by putting on OEM end links? I put on a stiffer sway bar from Eibach and used the accord end links and have the same clunking sound. It's gotten on my nerves over time and the mechanic said to put on the OEM links...
Sponsored