First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Hello friends,

If I was to replace the end-link - go OEM, Moog, Whiteline, or OEM Accord aluminum or Type R?

I've been having some suspension noise in the front driver side. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like I'm hitting a pothole, but when it's just an imperfection in the road. It's very inconsistent, but there are spots in the road where I have been able to consistently reproduce it. Can happen at 20mph, can happen at 80mph.

I lifted my front end (2017 honda civic SI sedan) and did the usual tests - wiggled the wheel at 9 & 3, wiggled at 12 & 6, tried to pry up on the ball joint, tried to wiggle the tie rods - nothing had play. My lower control arm bushing it looking a little worse for wear, but I wasn't sure how to test this exactly. The only thing that has movement is the sway bar end links. They turn with almost no resistance. I genuinely don't have a comparison point, as the last time I had to replace my end link - it was a different vehicle, and simply broken. Should this move freely or have some resistance?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same clunk but on the passenger front. used to have both front but was told to just tightened the sway bar link. I did that but the front right remained clunking.I could never figured it out. I tightened every last bolt. but now I just learned to live with it.. The link is supposed to move freely especially if there is no load to it both link on mine does the same thing.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hello friends,

If I was to replace the end-link - go OEM, Moog, Whiteline, or OEM Accord aluminum or Type R?

I've been having some suspension noise in the front driver side. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like I'm hitting a pothole, but when it's just an imperfection in the road. It's very inconsistent, but there are spots in the road where I have been able to consistently reproduce it. Can happen at 20mph, can happen at 80mph.

I lifted my front end (2017 honda civic SI sedan) and did the usual tests - wiggled the wheel at 9 & 3, wiggled at 12 & 6, tried to pry up on the ball joint, tried to wiggle the tie rods - nothing had play. My lower control arm bushing it looking a little worse for wear, but I wasn't sure how to test this exactly. The only thing that has movement is the sway bar end links. They turn with almost no resistance. I genuinely don't have a comparison point, as the last time I had to replace my end link - it was a different vehicle, and simply broken. Should this move freely or have some resistance?
The sway bar links can clunk if the rubber boot is damaged/ grease inside is drying out. if you can live with you can. it doesn't cause any handling issues. for Moog and aftermarket end links you will have grease nipples to fill grease occasionally which removes that clunking.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Your end link isnt suppose to have play like that swap them out double check tie rods ball joints

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I appreciate everyone's response. For the passenger side on my case, it's a little more firm but not anything noticeable.

It's just been driving me bonkers since it's not consistent, and it's the only part I can actually get to move when I tear it all down. IE my tie rods are solid, I can't wedge my ball joint to move, I was feeling a little silly after having zero replies that I was overreacting but at least there is some good information here now.

Not consistent, IE I could hit a pothole dead on with my Drivers Front, and it does not make the sound, or hit imperfections on the highway - but on other potholes or other imperfections, even as low as 20mph (some roads aren't level in MA) it sounds like dropping rotors on top of eachother

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
moog are garbage. get whiteline adjustables.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
not what mine sounds like but yours sounds like the strut is loose and tapping on bumps

Pervysageee

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
let us know if your clunk disappears if you end up replacing sway link
Following, I have the same sound and I was thinking it was the sway links or blown suspension.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
The suspension on my '16 touring has clunked since new.
Sponsored