Suspension error canceller.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So it's just a light? And it costs nearly $500 to turn it off?

OP
OP
nycmikey2

nycmikey2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it's just a light? And it costs nearly $500 to turn it off?
Yup maybe a different company would make it for cheaper in the future ... I’m ocd with shit like this I can’t drive with a light on so I’m most likely going to get it.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Yup maybe a different company would make it for cheaper in the future ... I’m ocd with shit like this I can’t drive with a light on so I’m most likely going to get it.
If you buy this you will be getting it with no lube. It just four resistors. That first harness isolates the four dampner wires coming out the vdcs then that little black box has four resistors that have the same resistance as the dampner. I guarantee if you open that black box up it will be four resistors. Realisticly this is ay most 100 dollars. Diy you could do this for under 10 dollars.

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
If you buy this you will be getting it with no lube. It just four resistors. That first harness isolates the four dampner wires coming out the vdcs then that little black box has four resistors that have the same resistance as the dampner. I guarantee if you open that black box up it will be four resistors. Realisticly this is ay most 100 dollars. Diy you could do this for under 10 dollars.
You gotta pay for that HKS name though ;)

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
That is some kind of expensive for some kind of simple thing. :what:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
It also disables the ADS control unit which can interfere with the rotational inertia of the chassis (yaw and pitch).
How does the ADS do that?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
How does the ADS do that?
The AHA receives several inputs from the ADS control unit. An ADS error completely turns off the unit (and a portion of AHA) vs. simply not receiving damping inputs courtesy of the cancellation units. With other platforms, users would notice an increase in understeer due to the absence (or significant reduction) of torque vectoring. It's largely considered a safety parameter.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
How would this affect the hill start assist if at all?

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
The type r uses its IMS to compute desired power into the damper control solenoids, so I actually think the KW solution of retaining the solenoids and exposing them to some amount of damper backpressure is ideal and quite worth the trouble.

The Si on the other hand, from the folks I have talked to, comes with the simplest possible control unit and a tiny third valve in the damper. My guess, from the honda press slides that have been posted here, is that the damper control unit is just a buck driver that attempts to keep the solenoid controlled valve closed in sport mode (the solenoid pretty clearly seems to be open in non-sport). The reality of trying to keep the solenoid closed at 12v with the constrained solenoid size is that the damping rate will vary with the current responsiveness of thr buck driver and the impulse frequency.

In this case, there is likely no closed control loop governing the damping rates other than the fixed interaction between the buck drivers in the ads module and the solenoid backpressure (that is, it is dumb open loop). Further, everything I have read about the traction control (note: when it is on) and/or any brake vectoring to assist in diff loading indicates that it uses wheel speeds and the IMS as the sole inputs.

The executive summary is that the ctr needs something smart to make the ads happy and either give it or act like it has control of the dampers. The Si, otoh, probably just needs something with impedance approximately the same as the solenoids to operate with no errors or loss of function.

Also, I think it is likely that the hfp dampers switch out the ads control unit with something smart. I am willing to bet that the Si has all the sensors it needs to run the same type of ads as the type r but doesn't have a control unit to take advantage of it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The HFP is technically a one-for-one replacement. The control unit does the same functions as the one it replaces; just adjusts the damping parameters with the new predetermined flow rates. Here are a few things we believe the unit monitors:
  • VSA - Wheel Speed
  • SRS - Longitudinal Acceleration
  • SRS - Yaw Rate
  • SRS - Lateral Acceleration
  • EPS - Steering Angle

The CTR's unit is inherently more complicated than the Si's due to the third series of parameters it manages. I'm told that the Accord Touring and Si's systems are essentially a "next gen" design of the 9th Gen CTR's bi-mode system.

Putting the system into "limp mode" essentially ignores the above mentioned parameters. On other platforms, that in turn can impact/neutralize active handling (which is independent of TCS).

Last edited:

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
Anyone have a 40k data acquisition box and appropriate sensor suite that we can use to take some measurements on test drives? Hah!

Tbh it sounds to me that ads limp on the Si isn't going to significantly impact handling. Otoh, 8k rear is pretty darn high. You are going to need 200tw tires and a bunch of autox and track days every season to take advantage.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
I was just wondering if it could be done with a soldering iron. I know this post is long past due is there a video showing how to build them? I also found some for 237 via Tein
Sponsored