Suspect dealer did Oil Dilution TSB against my word - Can I verify?

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Ninja 300 SE
Country flag
Hi all,

I suspect the dealer may have did the Oil Dilution TSB against my word, while they had my car in for an oil change. I specifically told them I did not want it done at this time against the service adviser's recommendation. It was not on the receipt when I picked up my car, however since I have gotten my car back from the dealer, I seem to be observing fuel consumption increases of about 10-20% during the first 15 minutes of my drive or so, and the range estimation seems to be far more inaccurate. I want to verify for myself is there is any way this can be from them completing the TSB modifications or not.

How can I possibly verify this myself?
Is there a way I can check the applicable software versions and when they were last installed/flashed?

Additional information:
My car is completely stock, and I have not flashed anything to it.
I do not have a KTuner or a HondaData tuner (which I figure may have been useful to view software version numbers).
I do not have an OBD2 reader at this time.

Thanks for anyone's contributions.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • A TSB is a voluntary repair and may not be applicable if you’re not experiencing the problem it covers. Also, the TSB may be covered under warranty, or the automaker may specify a special warranty period for it, which means the automaker pays for the repair. Outside of the warranty period, though, the TSB procedure still would apply, but parts and labor would be the responsibility of the owner.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/tsb-vs-recall

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Could they have done something that required the ECU (or whatever it's called these days) to be reset? That can cause a rough idle/less efficient conditions until the thing re-calibrates.

It seems like any Honda/Acura dealership could connect your car and see all the updates, if any.

OP
OP
demoPEng

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope. Ask in the tuner section.
Thanks. I will leave the thread here for the next few days, and I will take it there if I am not able to find a solution here.

You didn't mention why you don't want the TSB.
I don't want the TSB for a few reasons:
1) I very specifically bought this car because of it's fantastic fuel economy when I want it, and it's ability to be fun when I want it to. A change of fuel economy by that big of a percentage is not acceptable, especially if they did it, when I specifically instructed them not to. It is in part the principle, and in part the loss in fuel economy.
2) I don't use my vehicle much under the conditions that the TSB is issued for.
3) My understanding is that Honda is still iterating a solution to this Oil Dilution problem, I want to get the "fix" when I am ready, and when I think there will not be any more future "updates" to their fix.

• A TSB is a voluntary repair and may not be applicable if you’re not experiencing the problem it covers. Also, the TSB may be covered under warranty, or the automaker may specify a special warranty period for it, which means the automaker pays for the repair. Outside of the warranty period, though, the TSB procedure still would apply, but parts and labor would be the responsibility of the owner.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/tsb-vs-recall
I certainly hope they understood that this should be "voluntary".
My car is far from outside of the warranty period, so it is my right to hold off with this.

Could they have done something that required the ECU (or whatever it's called these days) to be reset? That can cause a rough idle/less efficient conditions until the thing re-calibrates.

It seems like any Honda/Acura dealership could connect your car and see all the updates, if any.
Maybe this was it, but I just took my car in for a standard Oil Change. Other more serious maintenance tasks I would prefer to do on my own. Do you think there is any logical reason for them to play with my software when just doing a simple Oil Change? I understand they need to reset the maintenance minder codes but I think you can do that without hooking up anything to the vehicle.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another reason to never go at the dealer as possible and never for a simple oil change. Many post with issue after oil change mostly about shield plate missing bolts.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2 cents....

I have not heard that this TSB would hurt fuel economy. If anything, I would expect it to save gas by not dumping it in the oil.

Also, you said you checked the fuel economy after 15 minutes. That is not long enough to get an accurate estimate. Mileage may vary widely depending on many factors. Check it after a couple of full tanks.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My 2 cents....

I
Also, you said you checked the fuel economy after 15 minutes. That is not long enough to get an accurate estimate. Mileage may vary widely depending on many factors. Check it after a couple of full tanks.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
demoPEng

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My 2 cents....

Check it after a couple of full tanks.
I agree with this, and this is the reason why I am just curious if I can verify if they've done it through the software on my own in the meantime.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen 0 impact on fuel economy after the update. But my car is at full temperature within 2 or 3 minutes of starting...I live a couple hundred yards from the highway.

I've noticed it does warm up a bit quicker so any excess fuel consumption when cold should be negated with the faster warm-up.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've seen 0 impact on fuel economy after the update. But my car is at full temperature within 2 or 3 minutes of starting...I live a couple hundred yards from the highway.

I've noticed it does warm up a bit quicker so any excess fuel consumption when cold should be negated with the faster warm-up.

Good news.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi all,

I suspect the dealer may have did the Oil Dilution TSB against my word, while they had my car in for an oil change. I specifically told them I did not want it done at this time against the service adviser's recommendation. It was not on the receipt when I picked up my car,

How can I possibly verify this myself?
Is there a way I can check the applicable software versions and when they were last installed/flashed?

I do not have an OBD2 reader at this time.
If you really want to resolve this, I would suggest :-

I would go back to the dealer, with the Receipt, and get them to state DEFINITIVELY, on that receipt, with a Manager's Signature, ( FOR THE RECORD, that they DID, or DID not do the update)

Then, if they state on the Receipt they did NOT, then take the car to another dealer, and have them PHYSICALLY check if the update has been done. (not just look at Honda Service records)
Note: If the 1st Dealer did the Update, they should have reported doing so to your Honda Service record.

Then, when you have all the verified facts, decide what you want to do, if anything.

To me, it's always a massive Gamble, each time you take a car into a Dealership, so I try to avoid that at all times.
Sponsored