Survey for those who have had their condensor replaced.

Have you had subsequent failure(s) of your aircon system after the condensor was replaced ?

• Total voters

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
If you have had your condensor replaced, have you had any subsequent failures of your aircon system ?
Let us know which component(s) were replaced subsequent to the condensor replacement and how long it took to fail after the condensor replacement.
I just had my condensor replaced and the system is blowing warm air again after less than a week and less than 10 miles.

If you have had your condensor replaced but have not been using the aircon because it is winter, you might want to test it. Preferably in a heated garage.

Make sure "econ" is OFF. Use "Recycle" (so that you are not blowing cold outside air) and make sure that the aircon is turned on by going into hvac controls. Click "air on" and set temperature to "lo" and fan directed to only the upper dash vents and fan speed to maximum. Check driver side vent after the car has been running for a couple of minutes (better to take it for a drive somewhere). The driver side vent should be very cold if your system is working.

My guess is that many of you have failed aircon systems and don't even know it. Beat the spring rush and check it out now.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Not much of a response so far.

There must be 100s of Members of CivicX who have had their condensors replaced. These condensors are known to be faulty and they stayed that way for at least 3 years. A large percentage of the 2016 to 2018 condensors failed and many members have complained of multiple failures of their A/C systems.

Because it is winter, most people are not aware if their A/C systems are working or not. I expect that many of you have failed A/C systems without knowing it. If you wait until spring when there is going to be a rush for A/C repairs when many other people realize that their A/C systems have failed, it will be more difficult to get your Dealership to listen to your complaints.

Answering this survey will give us all a better understanding of whether Honda should be responsible for non-condensor repairs. And dealing with this early makes it more likely that you will get Honda to pay for some/all of the repairs.

Thanks in advance for any responses to the survey.

Deleted member 40377

I had my condenser replaced under warranty back in July. I have had cold air since. Checked yesterday and still blowing cold. Hopefully, that will be it.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I had my condenser replaced under warranty back in July. I have had cold air since. Checked yesterday and still blowing cold. Hopefully, that will be it.
Hope for the best.

The reason that I bring it up is that there is a Honda Tech on this forum who has chimed in that once the condensor fails and refrigerant escapes, so does the oil in the refrigerant. This leads to dried out seals in the compressor, causing the compressor to fail.

Thanks for your response.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hope for the best.

The reason that I bring it up is that there is a Honda Tech on this forum who has chimed in that once the condensor fails and refrigerant escapes, so does the oil in the refrigerant. This leads to dried out seals in the compressor, causing the compressor to fail.

Thanks for your response.
This does seem to be the general consensus. Therefore, if you’re A/C fails, shut the climate control system off entirely and do not touch it until you can get the car to the dealerships.

Most people will continue to let it run and hope it will magically start working again. And cuss and scream at it when it doesn’t. Suffer a little so your wallet doesn’t have to later.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
6 months. No issues so far.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mines a 2016, it's worked solid never replaced. I haven't tried it for about a month. I do usually check it a few times during the winter.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
This does seem to be the general consensus. Therefore, if you’re A/C fails, shut the climate control system off entirely and do not touch it until you can get the car to the dealerships.

Most people will continue to let it run and hope it will magically start working again. And cuss and scream at it when it doesn’t. Suffer a little so your wallet doesn’t have to later.
I turned mine off immediately as soon as I realized it wasn't working last August. It took 5 months for the condensor to come in (January 2021). The next time I went out in the car after it was "fixed", it was blowing warm air.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I turned mine off immediately as soon as I realized it wasn't working last August. It took 5 months for the condensor to come in (January 2021). The next time I went out in the car after it was "fixed", it was blowing warm air.
5 months... good lord.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
5 months... good lord.
I was originally told 2 weeks.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Honda wants these things installed in the middle of winter.
That way, people won't know right away if there are any subsequent problems.
Possibly taking problems beyond the warranty period.

Civic_EU

First Name
Matus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport, Volvo 940, couple of e36 BMW
Country flag
I ve had mine replaced in the middle of summer , 20k km later still works great.

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before I traded my blue hatchsport in, I had it replaced and it worked perfectly fine for the remaining month or so I had it.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Well, just as I predicted in the OP, a large number of failed aircon threads are popping up in the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" forum now that we are into the spring.

From OP :
My guess is that many of you have failed aircon systems and don't even know it. Beat the spring rush and check it out now.

It is going to get worse as we get later into the spring and summer. Everyone should test out their aircon system as early as possible before the spring rush gets into full swing and the Dealerships get overloaded and the parts shortage results in long delays.

Last edited:

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Condenser replaced and then literally 5 months later started blowing warm, compressor replaced, it's starting to hiss again. Pretty sure something else is leaking now. This AC system is pretty bad.
Sponsored