Sunroof Wind Deflector Noise (when open)

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
Experiencing harsh wind noise from the sunroof wind deflector on my 2019 hatchback at city speeds. I came from 8th gen car, where the wind noise was pretty much non-existent in comparison. That was my first car with a sunroof, and I absolutely loved it. This 10th gen car is something else... I also ride a motorcycle, and the noise in the hatch is reminiscent of the wind noise in my helmet when I forget to wear earplugs. The side window also generates lots of noise when open part way. Looks like Honda Engineers forgot to go through the entire checklist during wind-tunnel testing.

Noticed that the noise subsides almost entirely when I collapse the wind deflector down with my hand... but that's obviously not a solution. Is there a fix to this, other than shelling out money for the moonroof visor... and will that even fix the problem?

Insight appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm my coupe doesn't have the deflector but it has the channels and hardware bits for a defector. You can remove the deflector and it will be quieter but then you'll get that annoying low frequency buffeting noise that's hard on the ears at about 30 mph or so, I actually wish I had the defector...I'll take yours :)

OP
OP
piterek

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
New Hmm my coupe doesn't have the deflector but it has the channels and hardware bits for a defector. You can remove the deflector and it will be quieter but then you'll get that annoying low frequency buffeting noise...
Will try tweaking or removing it... thought they all came with the deflector. The sound is annoyingly high pitch, and unless at very low speed, it is impossible to tune out. I end up running the sunroof in tilt mode.

Thanks for the tip.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought the Weathertech sunroof visor and really do love it. I can have it wide open at highway speed and it is not loud at all. The only reason I bought it is because I had my closed sunroof shatter from a rock while on the highway. Looks are subjective but I think it adds to the looks and makes it a little more unique.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sunroof Wind Deflector Noise (when open) 20190826_145112

OP
OP
piterek

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought the Weathertech sunroof visor and really do love it.
I might have to consider one of these, WeatherTech or Honda, and don't mind the look... just weary of the thing becoming a water bucket. I noticed the Honda option has weeping holes in it. Do you remove for the winter?

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I might have to consider one of these, WeatherTech or Honda, and don't mind the look... just weary of the thing becoming a water bucket. I noticed the Honda option has weeping holes in it. Do you remove for the winter?
I haven't used it in winter yet. I'm not planning on removing it but I don't really expect any problems with it.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Hmm my coupe doesn't have the deflector but it has the channels and hardware bits for a defector. You can remove the deflector and it will be quieter but then you'll get that annoying low frequency buffeting noise that's hard on the ears at about 30 mph or so, I actually wish I had the defector...I'll take yours :)
Do we really have the mounting points for the deflector? It's only $30 at HondaPartsNow.

I really wonder what Honda's thinking with some models having the deflector and others not. It can't be they actually made an informed decision with regards to body style aerodynamics given we have the expected problem at higher speeds without it and OP's got the expected problem at lower speeds with it...

If it's easy to remove, you might as well take it off and see how it does IMO.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do we really have the mounting points for the deflector? It's only $30 at HondaPartsNow.
Yes, I parked my coupe beside my sons 19 hatch and all the spots that the deflector mounts to and the slides are there. Everything looks the same.

Only noise issue I have on the coupe is at around 25 mph. At all Highway speeds there is no ear pressurizing buffeting noises.
Sponsored