Sunroof Stuck and Broke

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 2015 Corolla S Plus
Wonder if there's a relationship between the moonroof issue and the "dents" appearing on the rear of the cars. Both might be assembly stress related where parts are deforming after assembly/build of the body.
Mine had one on the drivers side
Sponsored

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I have 1,000 miles now on the car and I was detailing it over the weekend. I noticed some slight rings on my sunroof. It looked like someone set a can of soda on the sunroof but the marks are on the inside of the glass not the outside. Very light, you have to the light just right to see it. Upon closer inspection I can see that they are suction cup marks. It seems my dealer did something to the sunroof before delivering it to me. Maybe the replaced the motor/tracks, I don't know. It's worked great and I like having it tilted up while I drive for ventilation. It's working great and operates very smoothly. I was able to clean off the marks with windex and some elbow grease. I hope what ever they did will keep the sunroof gremlins away.

CripticWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I have 1,000 miles now on the car and I was detailing it over the weekend. I noticed some slight rings on my sunroof. It looked like someone set a can of soda on the sunroof but the marks are on the inside of the glass not the outside. Very light, you have to the light just right to see it. Upon closer inspection I can see that they are suction cup marks. It seems my dealer did something to the sunroof before delivering it to me. Maybe the replaced the motor/tracks, I don't know. It's worked great and I like having it tilted up while I drive for ventilation. It's working great and operates very smoothly. I was able to clean off the marks with windex and some elbow grease. I hope what ever they did will keep the sunroof gremlins away.
Suction cups are used a lot during production, glad your sunroof works great!

Chris G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2010 Toyota Prius
I had not considered that it could have been there from production. You may be right.

lvc.iii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan EX w/ Sensing 2016
Country flag
I had not considered that it could have been there from production. You may be right.
I noticed the same thing a couple of days after I took delivery; they're surely from production and those marks will clean right off the glass.

ph0t0guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t, 2007 toyota sienna
Country flag
I picked up an EX today. After reading this thread, I exercised the sunroof a couple-dozen times at the dealership before driving off. No problems noted.

For those that have experienced failures, what is the first digit of your VIN? I am wondering if the problems are related to a specific assembly plant.
I have had my EX-T for a month now and have had no issues with sunroof. I have noticed that some vins beggining with 2, mine is 1.

Sassafras409

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2003 Ford Mustang
I have had my EX-T for a month now and have had no issues with sunroof. I have noticed that some vins beggining with 2, mine is 1.
I wish I'd read this forum before I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I really didn't need a sunroof, and these problems would have kept me away from it. It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow, so I'd planned on using mine, but since my VIN starts with 2, I think I'll wait until I get home from work, just in case. Good thing my 'Stang is still registered. I may need the second car.

CripticWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I wish I'd read this forum before I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I really didn't need a sunroof, and these problems would have kept me away from it. It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow, so I'd planned on using mine, but since my VIN starts with 2, I think I'll wait until I get home from work, just in case. Good thing my 'Stang is still registered. I may need the second car.
It is likely that it was a batch that has already been corrected by now. Sunroofs are built daily.

mike_b_sfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-T
I've had my EX-T for a little over a month. Yesterday I tried closing the sunroof from a tilted position and nothing happened. Like others, I had to hold the button down numerous times for it to close. Looks like I'll be taking it to the shop next week. My VIN starts with a 1.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If they found an underlying problem with the sunroof or a bad part, wouldnt they issue a TSB that describes how to fix it for the dealers? Is there a TSB?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my EXT coupe for about 2 weeks now. 160 miles driven. No issues with sunroof or windows until today. Sunroof won't do anything. It won't open, tilt, nothing. No noise. Just nothing. Drivers side window works fine but then I tried the passenger window and boom, won't move either. No noise. Nothing. The switches just don't do anything. Guess I'm calling Honda tomorrow :/ 6 civics and this is the first time ever having an issue.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I've had my EXT coupe for about 2 weeks now. 160 miles driven. No issues with sunroof or windows until today. Sunroof won't do anything. It won't open, tilt, nothing. No noise. Just nothing. Drivers side window works fine but then I tried the passenger window and boom, won't move either. No noise. Nothing. The switches just don't do anything. Guess I'm calling Honda tomorrow :/ 6 civics and this is the first time ever having an issue.
Make sure window lock button was not accidentally pressed. Happened to me yesterday.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure window lock button was not accidentally pressed. Happened to me yesterday.
That was the first thing i checked! Haha. It's working again today, didn't test the moonroof yet, but the passenger window was opening just fine. Found another thread on here with others that have had the same issue on and off. Said its some error code internally, which apparently resets after about 24 hours or so. Pretty annoying. Still might take it to honda.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
That was the first thing i checked! Haha. It's working again today, didn't test the moonroof yet, but the passenger window was opening just fine. Found another thread on here with others that have had the same issue on and off. Said its some error code internally, which apparently resets after about 24 hours or so. Pretty annoying. Still might take it to honda.
I see! Yea I would take it in as well. Hope it all works out
Sponsored