Sunroof Stuck and Broke

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
silicone lubricant? my 2014 works fine but it quieted down substantially after adding some silicone.
Sponsored

trickycoolj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda HR-V
Had to sign up to chime in. My mom's new 2016 Civic EX-L also had issues with the sunroof last week. She said it was always loud in operation then one day it started functioning erratically closing on it's own when it was open. She took it to the dealer yesterday and the check in mechanic started messing with the button with a little bit of a you just don't know how to use the switch lady attitude and when he was messing with it, he got it stuck open in the same manner described in previous posts, closed on one side and propped way up on the other while it made loud grinding noises. Dealer had never seen this problem before and had the car all day. They're ordering new tracks and wire harnesses for both sides, but one of the sides is back ordered. They finally got the sunroof in a closed position and pulled the fuse so it couldn't be operated in the mean time. They'll call my mom when the parts get in. She purchased the car at the end of January. I purchased a new HR-V last year after owning a Fit for 7 years prior to that and never experienced quality issues like this on either model. Really disappointing to see this serious of an issue crop up after convincing my mom to switch over to Honda.

WurzD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I had my 2016 Civic for a few months now. I never had a problem with my sunroof/moonroof or whatever they call it, until one day after class. I pushed the button to tilt by accident and that when it did as you all have described. The right side went up and the left side remained down and when I tried to close it it didn't really move. It was on a Friday so the roof was stuck open over the weekend cause I could take it in until the next Monday. It has officially been over a week and when I called they said that the parts are on backorder and won't be in until next Wednesday. I know Honda civics are good cause I had a 2012 and put almost 80k miles on it the first 2 years I had it.

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 2015 Corolla S Plus
My parts are in and I get mine repaired on Wednesday. Will also get the sub rattle issue addressed. Great time to address the sub rattle when it's all apart from the shoulders up.

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My parts are in and I get mine repaired on Wednesday. Will also get the sub rattle issue addressed. Great time to address the sub rattle when it's all apart from the shoulders up.
I took my Touring in Wednesday and got it back today for installation of my parts to repair my sunroof. I tried it before I left the dealership and the same problem. Loud grinding noise and when opening you can see its not aligned properly . The tech had tried it multiple times in the shop but when I tried it no luck. They are calling Honda to see whats going on and I'm sure he will report his disappointment as well. As luck wold have it a rep from Honda Corp returned my earlier call while I was driving home from the dealership. Needless to say I lit him up. I asked if Honda has a quality control program that test functions their new cars before leaving the factory? Of course he said I was the very first person he had heard of having this issue, I assured him there are many others. I told him there is a serious design flaw here and either its the parts or the structure of these Civics. I also told him and my dealership I expected more from Honda, I am kind of at a loss for words. My dealership is good to work with and I am fortunate about that, but my opinion of Honda quality is not what I expected, I never thought I would say that. I will post any further information to others that it may help with this same issue.

Last edited:

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I took my Touring in Wednesday and got it back today for installation of my parts to repair my sunroof. I tried it before I left the dealership and the same problem. Loud grinding noise and when opening you can see its not aligned properly . The tech had tried it multiple times in the shop but when I tried it no luck. They are calling Honda to see whats going on. As luck wold have it a rep from Honda Corp returned my earlier call while I was driving home from the dealership. Needless to say I lit him up. I asked if Honda has a quality control program that test functions their new cars before leaving the factory? Of course he said I was the very first person he had heard of having this issue, I assured him there are many others. I told him there is s serious design flaw here and either its the parts or the structure of these Civics. I also told him and my dealership I expected more from Honda, I am kind of at a loss for words. My dealership is good to work with and I am fortunate about that, but my opinion of Honda quality is not what I expected, I never thought I would say that. I will post any further information to others that it may help with this same issue.
Geesh what is going on there?

tiernanjustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Sunroof broke first week off the lot in my 2016 civic ex. Pops grinds and wont close one side down the other stuck up in the air. Took over a week to fix it the first time, got the car back the dealer put in a new track and motor they said. After having it back for exactly one week sunroof broke again after putting it in the tilt position, doing the exact same thing. I think its time for the lemon law to come into effect here, still waiting to hear what Honda dealer is going to do about this.

conrad0424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Literally last week the same exact problem with my sunroof occurred. Pushed to sunroof button to tilt the sunroof and the Left side or drivers side got stuck and the right side was open just like you guys said. Took it into the dealer this morning and they said they have never seen anything like this and cant figure out whats wrong with it. Its a 16 civic EX-L I purchased in April. a little frustrated at the moment with this problem and seeing that everyone eles is having this problem as well it makes me a little more frustrated. Has anyone had more problem even after they got their sunroof repaired? now I am worried that they will fix it and it will break on me a day it rains...

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Due to the other posts about some of the flimsy roof issues, I wonder if these moonroof issues have something to do with how the roof was assembled.

Dr David

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 1.5T 4D EX-L
Posted in May 2016 that my 6 week old 2016 Honda Civic EX-L 1.5L Turbo moonroof got stuck in tilt position and had the motor & track assembly replaced 4 weeks later. This weekend I tried to open it and got stuck once again and made crunching/grinding noises. I took it back to Luther Honda in Hopkins MN (they are wonderful) and asked then to diagnose once again. They eventually got it closed for me. This is clearly a design flaw and unfortunately, they can't disengage the tilt function from the open function. The service manager started a dialogue with Honda Engineering in California and they are researching an actual fix for the design flaw. I prefer waiting for the fix to be engineered rather than forcing them to fix it over and over. I LOVE this car but don't want a car without a moonroof. My dilemma is how long I should wait before escalating this to the level of lemon law. If I did not like the car I would be negotiating for a replacement at this time. Compensation for this inconvenience is also a question .....

tiernanjustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hey Guys. I am kinda new to the forum so first off hello! =) Bought a 2016 Honda Civic Touring this past weekend. LOVE LOVE LOVE the car.... but (there is always a but) Three days in I used the tilt feature on the sunroof. Went to put it down and one side closed the other side froze and the sunroof was stuck in a tilted off the track with the left side up and the right side down position and would not move. Every time I tried to close it it would make a loud popping noise. Well after four hours at the Honda dealer they got the sunroof closed when they tried to test it again and the same issue occurred. The Honda mechanic said he has never seen this happen in his 30 years on working on Hondas. They ended up getting it closed and told me not to touch it until they can order the parts and let Honda know about the issue. So I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with their Civic? (Please direct me if this has been posted before.) Thanks guys! Glad to join the Honda family!
Same issue here its broken twice so far car is 2016 EX sedan they just keep putting in new parts until I put it in tilt position and it beaks again. Any update on a fix for this yet? Sounds like everyone is getting the same run around!

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same issue here its broken twice so far car is 2016 EX sedan they just keep putting in new parts until I put it in tilt position and it beaks again. Any update on a fix for this yet? Sounds like everyone is getting the same run around!
My touring is in for the second set of replacement parts right now. It failed the very first time using it from the factory. My dealership then ordered all new parts and it failed the first time I tried it again. So let's hope it works this time. Fortunately I have a good dealership and they are as perplexed as I am about this and the other issues I am having with my New Car.
Sponsored

Last edited: