Sunroof gap. Update in original post.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
update: took it to the dealership this past weekend, and they sent me to a body shop today to get a quote to repair this... keep in mind, I’ve had this car just over a month, and just hit 1300 miles on it today. Body shop guy told me they’re going to have to completely remove the sunroof, then straighten out the roof. This seems kind of like a lot for a brand new car... I’m kinda bummed at this point knowing that this all has to happen, and will always be in the back of my mind with this car....

So I was standing outside my car earlier today, and noticed a pretty big gap on the rear side of my sunroof between the glass and the roof. I’ve had the car less than a month. I can’t say whether it was there before or not. My other car (also a 2020 civic, but it’s a hatchback vs this being an Si) and it’s not like that. Molding sits flush all the way around.

Anyone else’s like this?

Honda Civic 10th gen Sunroof gap. Update in original post. 3408DF7B-42E2-44FC-879E-3A2838A01998
Honda Civic 10th gen Sunroof gap. Update in original post. 95A50D04-46D9-4A4F-9297-E01F08E6A725
Honda Civic 10th gen Sunroof gap. Update in original post. 07A45F7F-4F61-4DB9-9A5D-801ECDD8BF64

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Take it in for service, that's not right. Some on here have had sunroof problems. I also wouldn't use it until its fixed.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I plan on taking it in, probably some time this week, when I have time. I bought the car at a dealership about an hour away from me, but I was going to take it into the local dealership for warranty. After looking at it closer, it appears to be bent on the roof. Then I looked at a picture I took of the car before we drove off the lot, and you can see it there too. So I think it might be best that I take it back to that same dealership. Disappointing.... I’d imagine I’d have to take it to a body shop or something, which now it will have to be modified, so theres a chance it won’t be 100% factory specs, which kinda worries me being that it’s the sunroof because of potential leaking issues in the future. Ugh...

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Should be adjustable at dealer.
but I may also add, reason number 146883 why sunroofs suck. ;)

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Should be adjustable at dealer.
but I may also add, reason number 146883 why sunroofs suck. ;)
The actual roof has a bend in it... not sure what the dealer is going to do. Might be a costly fix.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hmm maybe a really good paint less dent guy? Otherwise gonna have to be a trusted body shop.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The actual roof has a bend in it... not sure what the dealer is going to do. Might be a costly fix.
Why would it be a costly fix? They should fix it on warranty unless they say you did it.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Why would it be a costly fix? They should fix it on warranty unless they say you did it.
Just seems like it would be costly for whoever does it... I hope they don’t give me any problems.

They can’t say I did it, a picture I took before I drove it off the lot shows it there... kinda pisses me off that I didn’t previously notice it.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
As long as they do a good job I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure the work is warranted by Honda.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
update: took it to the dealership this past weekend, and they sent me to a body shop today to get a quote to repair this... keep in mind, I’ve had this car just over a month, and just hit 1300 miles on it today. Body shop guy told me they’re going to have to completely remove the sunroof, then straighten out the roof. This seems kind of like a lot for a brand new car... I’m kinda bummed at this point knowing that this all has to happen, and will always be in the back of my mind with this car....
When I brought home my CR-V years ago, I noticed the rear passenger door was misaligned. The gaps were uneven between front and back and it was slightly sticking out of the body.

I brought it back to the dealer a couple days after. They finally agreed to fix after I convinced them it It was not "normal" as it was visible from several yards distance and no other CR-V on the lot had anything similar.

They sent me to their friendly body shop and it was fixed in two go's (the first was not 100%) and the body people had some problems with fixin' it right. The second time it was 90% perfect and it was OK for me.

I forgot about it and had no sorrows and tears about it. I don't think there is any record of it having been done. Then I only get rid of my cars when they are depreciated to a fraction of the original value, so I don't care too much about records.

abitolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 accord
Country flag
I am not sure but since roof is part of safety I do not think a major roof repair is allowed, I would ask for a buy back as any roof repairs may affect structural integrity, just my 2 cents. It is one thing to paint a roof panel, another to modify it

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
As long as they do a good job I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure the work is warranted by Honda.
definitely... I called service manager and asked about that yesterday, waiting on a call back.
When I brought home my CR-V years ago, I noticed the rear passenger door was misaligned. The gaps were uneven between front and back and it was slightly sticking out of the body.

I brought it back to the dealer a couple days after. They finally agreed to fix after I convinced them it It was not "normal" as it was visible from several yards distance and no other CR-V on the lot had anything similar.

They sent me to their friendly body shop and it was fixed in two go's (the first was not 100%) and the body people had some problems with fixin' it right. The second time it was 90% perfect and it was OK for me.

I forgot about it and had no sorrows and tears about it. I don't think there is any record of it having been done. Then I only get rid of my cars when they are depreciated to a fraction of the original value, so I don't care too much about records.
I actually plan on keeping this for a while, so we’ll see what happens from here. I’m just hoping that it doesn’t actually depreciate the car at this point, in case I do plan on selling/trading in the near future.
I am not sure but since roof is part of safety I do not think a major roof repair is allowed, I would ask for a buy back as any roof repairs may affect structural integrity, just my 2 cents. It is one thing to paint a roof panel, another to modify it
I keep thinking about this... before any work is done, I’m going to need to know exactly what’s going to happen. I hope I don’t need to go the legal route with this, I hope the dealership does the right thing.
Sponsored