Sunroof can't close. Can't lower wind deflector.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just started having an interesting issue. When closing the sun roof it gets to the wind deflector and bounces back. It's like the motor detects too much pressure and backs off (safety measure so you can't guillotine yourself). The roof will close just fine if I hold the deflector down manually. I've lubed everything I could up, but made no difference.

Does anybody know if there is a procedure to reset the motors limits or allowed resistance? I can't find any way to mechanically adjust the deflector. I did find on an Accord forum a reset button dance, but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried it last night.
Sponsored

trapbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I would just take it to the dealership. Dealt with this kind of issue on my driver side window for months before I took it in. They fixed it in an hour or two it was a faulty window regulator

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I've been using Shin-etsu grease on my Hondas since 1995 or so. If you keep the seals and weatherstripping in the guides/channels lubed up; it seems to lower the resistance/friction of whatever is trying to move against it. Some folks use silicone. But it's something to try if ya' want.

OP
OP
Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been using Shin-etsu grease on my Hondas since 1995 or so. If you keep the seals and weatherstripping in the guides/channels lubed up; it seems to lower the resistance/friction of whatever is trying to move against it. Some folks use silicone. But it's something to try if ya' want.
It's not a binding or non-lubed issue. The issue is when the glass hits the arm to lower the wind deflector, it's creating more resistance than the motor is set to overcome as a safety issue.

Back when I worked at Ford as a mechanic, I had to constantly reset the window limits because they wouldn't close/open fully. It was a simple procedure involving the switch to reset the min/max limits. I was hoping Honda had a similar option because mechanically nothing is wrong. It's just triggering the safety prematurely.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It's not a binding or non-lubed issue. The issue is when the glass hits the arm to lower the wind deflector, it's creating more resistance than the motor is set to overcome as a safety issue.

Back when I worked at Ford as a mechanic, I had to constantly reset the window limits because they wouldn't close/open fully. It was a simple procedure involving the switch to reset the min/max limits. I was hoping Honda had a similar option because mechanically nothing is wrong. It's just triggering the safety prematurely.
Here you go.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sunroof can't close.  Can't lower wind deflector. 1593447275682

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I don't think my car has this pop up wind deflector. Is this something that wouldn't be on a coupe?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I don't think my car has this pop up wind deflector. Is this something that wouldn't be on a coupe?
My 2018 Si Coupe didn't come with one. I ordered one from HondaPartsNow and installed it myself. I lubed it up with superlube synthetic grease and have not yet had any issue with the sunroof closing.

But it's clear the system can have faults and needs to be reset, hence the guide in the service manual.
Sponsored