newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Some easy questions for a Sunday morning!

1. During a mountain drive, I got tire pressure alarm. This just 2 days after servicing and tire inspection. The tires were hot of course. Front pressure 40; rears 36. All looked fine. I reset the alarm, continued the drive with no issues or further alarms. Question: Is this normal? Higher pressure due to more weight and the FWD? Is the computer smart enough to know this might happen? Is that why I got the alarm in the first place?

2. I recently read I should not rest my hand on the shift lever as it causes wear. This is a natural position for me. Is this concern BS? or real?

3. Thinking of new cat-back exhaust because my neighbors can't hear me coming / going already (LOL). Is this an install I should be able to do myself? Or should I pay for the install? I'm thinking of the AWE touring version.

4. I have the SPG color and get stopped literally 2-3 times / week by ladies wanting to talk about the car. Can I count on this continuing as long as I own the car? I LOVE this car!
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Some easy questions for a Sunday morning!

1. During a mountain drive, I got tire pressure alarm. This just 2 days after servicing and tire inspection. The tires were hot of course. Front pressure 40; rears 36. All looked fine. I reset the alarm, continued the drive with no issues or further alarms. Question: Is this normal? Higher pressure due to more weight and the FWD? Is the computer smart enough to know this might happen? Is that why I got the alarm in the first place?

2. I recently read I should not rest my hand on the shift lever as it causes wear. This is a natural position for me. Is this concern BS? or real?

3. Thinking of new cat-back exhaust because my neighbors can't hear me coming / going already (LOL). Is this an install I should be able to do myself? Or should I pay for the install? I'm thinking of the AWE touring version.

4. I have the SPG color and get stopped literally 2-3 times / week by ladies wanting to talk about the car. Can I count on this continuing as long as I own the car? I LOVE this car!
Tire pressure sensors go off all the time on the car. Lots of false positives, but you will get a real one every once in a while. It kind of turns into the boy who cried wolf a lot of the times. You should check the tires when they are cold though and set them cold. If you haven’t already, set the tire pressures while cold (35 F/33 R) and recalibrate 3x in a row. The tire light in the dash will blink 3x and the car will go through the rest process for the TPMS.

For a direct linkage transmission, resting your hand on the shift knob is a big no no. You’ll slowly damage your selector forks. For a cable linked transmission (Type R), there is a little free play/slop in the cable, if you go past this while resting your hand, then it’s a big no no for the same reason. I’d honestly get into the habit of not doing this though, it’s good practice overall.

You can install on your own, it’s generally very straight forward. However, it’s a lot easier to do on a lift, but not impossible to do on jacks (Just a PITA). I ended up getting my exhaust (different system) installed for 120 bucks.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
If you drastically change elevation your tire pressure can change, also temperature changes due to season change - so you are probably 'at the edge of low' then when you climb elevation / temp changes, it drops the tire pressure and flags. You should double check your tire pressures imo and make sure they are 38psi (I believe that's the factory rating)

Exhaust install super simple.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you drastically change elevation your tire pressure can change, also temperature changes due to season change - so you are probably 'at the edge of low' then when you climb elevation / temp changes, it drops the tire pressure and flags. You should double check your tire pressures imo and make sure they are 38psi (I believe that's the factory rating)

Exhaust install super simple.
Door jam says 35 front 33 rear if I’m not mistaken. This is cold PSI.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
1. You'll get false tire pressure warnings from time to time. Check and reset up to 3 times for it to go away for good (assuming the actual pressures are good). Seems to happen if there are large temperature swings too. I carry a pressure gauge in the glovebox because of all these false positives.

2. Yes, resting the hand on the shift knob is bad as you're applying an input force on the stick, which translates into shifting the mechanisms inside the transmission with tight tolerances while its in operation. The stick shift is not designed as an arm/hand rest.

Same concept as resting your foot on the clutch pedal, ever so slightly engaging the throwout bearing and wearing it out prematurely.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
OK so I did my exhaust myself. front pipe back. I can tell you if you cant get your front end high enough the way the front has to come out is a bitch.... we had to borrow a friends car and go buy a bigger jack that went higher and then still barely got it out. so depending on your tools and how high you can get the car the exhaust can be a pain. But higth aside its fairly easy to do. The whole exhaust front pipe back is 3 bolts and a few hangers and thats it.

anything on this car is fairly easy to work on . I had never modded a car before and never really did my own mechanic work either. but with costs I learned and I did my own , brakes, inter-cooler, exhaust, front pipe, removed front end and put back on(for intercooler) mishimoto intake motor mounts and so on... nothing on the car is really hard. But Ill say again you gotta get the car up to get that front pipe out and in. matter of fact when we de modded the car to sell it we left the front pipe on cause it was such a pain. well not so much a pain then a space issue. there is a bracket right there and to get it out around it you gotta point it down and you need like 2 feet of space to get it pointed down and out and cleared. This also might be front pipe specific as well.

As for 4. eh I got lots of attention at first until people started seeing them more. They got real popular around here then died real quick. a few come to our meets and really dont get much of a second look. Then again around here its american cars all the way. The imports dont get much of a look. but yeah like the other guy said its gonna become a dude magnet lol so if you are into that :)

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
#3: I heard the AWE touring over the weekend on an R. If you get that they'll surely hear you coming/going! It sounds amazing.

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
All,

NO surprise at all, you did NOT disappoint! Great inputs, thank you for your responses.

Nuts on the tires / alarms. I've scheduled time in the hills to have some fun and that alarm after going off keeps me wondering even after checking the pressures. Seeing how many have this issue, I'll be prudent but not as worried.

Thanks for the AWE input / installation. Given the concerns about "without a lift" I may throw some $$ at a local garage and let them do it. Good folks there so a win/win.

As for my car losing the cool badge. Well, that sucks! I don't dislike anyone, but having young men as opposed to young women (all women), loving my rod (see what I did there?), is going be hard to take!

Again, thank you all!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The alarm is fairly useless for anything other than slow leaks anyways. I've had a tire go flat in seconds while on the highway and it didn't tell me about it for about two or three minutes. Saw the light come on and I was just like 'OH REALLY? YOU JUST NOTICED?'

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah now it's not "TPMS" it's "TRMS" tire radius...monitoring system.
I check my tires about every 1000 to 1500 miles and they're always down about 4 lbs by that point.
The same day I check my Santa Fe, it'll be down about the same amount, and its TPMS doesn't say anything about it.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
i highly recommend keeping a tire pump in your car. just for peace of mind. i got one off amazon that uses the 12 volt. this is the first vehicle ive owned that ive had to monitor/care about tire pressures so much. mainly cuz i want the best driving experience everytime.

had a shop put on my exhaust for 70 bucks. i dont have the time/tools/space to do anything myself so its cool i dont mind paying.

everytime i drive my car i get some sort of reaction. it is boost blue though, so its kinda hard to NOT notice haha.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You get stopped by ladies? All my car attracts is dudes
I saw two girls take a selfie with my car a few weeks after I got it :p But yeah, typically attention comes from other dudes.
Sponsored